FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1480804 times)

Hardwater2

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #9135 on: Apr 08, 2022, 10:57 AM »
You guys will enjoy this one….
https://www.srmt-nsn.gov/news/2022/srmt-non-member-fishing-permit-reminder

You’ve got to be kidding me!!!

That’s unbelievable!!
Two sets of rules….

fishinjohn

« Reply #9136 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:16 AM »
You guys will enjoy this one….
https://www.srmt-nsn.gov/news/2022/srmt-non-member-fishing-permit-reminder

You’ve got to be kidding me!!!
What am I missing here?!?!
From what I see here it's just regulations for non tribal individuals !??!

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #9137 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:24 AM »
Ok, so we need to follow the rules when we are on their land, but they can go anywhere they want and not follow any rules….what exactly aren’t you understanding?

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #9138 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:27 AM »
And this might be the most ridiculous part of the whole article….
“We kindly ask all fishermen to please abide by the Tribe’s Non-Member Fishing Regulations and to support our community’s efforts to preserve and protect Akwesasne’s natural resources by not fishing in any spawning beds or nesting areas, as well as to practice catch and release for female fish that are still carrying eggs.

To enhance the walleye population, the Environment Division is recommending that fishermen please refrain from conducting large harvests during the spawning season and to limit your catch size to a minimum of 15 inches and a maximum size of 22 inches.”

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #9139 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:29 AM »
Kind of hard to release a big female that has a spear stuck through its head…. ::) ::)

fishinjohn

« Reply #9140 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:40 AM »
Ok, so we need to follow the rules when we are on their land, but they can go anywhere they want and not follow any rules….what exactly aren’t you understanding?
Pretty certain if a native was , let's say, on lake ontario not following the state laws
Theyd get fined....
From what I see NYS DEC did their job amd enforced the laws and they were superceded by our federal government!!!
This obviously is a big deal!!!
I'm not 100% familiar with the treaty and all the bits and pieces to this intricuit puzzle...
From what I see there are some severe grey areas that need to be fixed here between the government and the tribal heads..
I live really close to seneca territory  I have to abide by their rules as I'm not a native.... with that being said, the only law they have are... there are none for tribal members.. same goes for hunting.. they can kill as many, in ANY FASHION THEY WANT.. spotlight... gun..bow..boat.. we are not allowed to hunt their land at all...
Something we just have to understand is that their culture lives off the land... Now if they come onto NYS LAND, they must follow the state laws and regs....
Sooooo... what im missing is....
Why is it a big deal that we have to follow their regulations?! They could easily say, ZERO NON NATIVE ACCESS TO OUR RESOURCES..
There obviously are some infractions here and my opinion is, they SHOULD be fined... however, as I stated earlier, there are alot of bits and pieces here that we arent aware of

Hardwater2

« Reply #9141 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:57 AM »
Kind of hard to release a big female that has a spear stuck through its head…. ::) ::)

X2

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #9142 on: Apr 08, 2022, 12:11 PM »
Pretty certain if a native was , let's say, on lake ontario not following the state laws
Theyd get fined....
From what I see NYS DEC did their job amd enforced the laws and they were superceded by our federal government!!!
This obviously is a big deal!!!
I'm not 100% familiar with the treaty and all the bits and pieces to this intricuit puzzle...
From what I see there are some severe grey areas that need to be fixed here between the government and the tribal heads..
I live really close to seneca territory  I have to abide by their rules as I'm not a native.... with that being said, the only law they have are... there are none for tribal members.. same goes for hunting.. they can kill as many, in ANY FASHION THEY WANT.. spotlight... gun..bow..boat.. we are not allowed to hunt their land at all...
Something we just have to understand is that their culture lives off the land... Now if they come onto NYS LAND, they must follow the state laws and regs....
Sooooo... what im missing is....
Why is it a big deal that we have to follow their regulations?! They could easily say, ZERO NON NATIVE ACCESS TO OUR RESOURCES..
There obviously are some infractions here and my opinion is, they SHOULD be fined... however, as I stated earlier, there are alot of bits and pieces here that we arent aware of
I’m not saying I don’t want to follow their rules. Actually, I don’t even want to go onto their land. So I don’t have to worry about their rules. All I’m saying is that respect for laws and rules should go both ways. That’s it!
There is nothing left on their own lands because of the way they treat it, so now they need to try and take advantage of someone else’s land. The walleye in Black Lake are extinct because of these guys.

skinny40

« Reply #9143 on: Apr 09, 2022, 05:33 AM »
The Dec blocked off the road to the hatchery. Hopefully that protects the walleye until a few laws could be changed or vetoed. Hate that humans need constant threat of arrest before they can do the right thing.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #9144 on: Apr 09, 2022, 05:52 AM »
this is  a powder cake  and  it  will explode ....don't fuel the fire .....rage and hate are a  bad  combination
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Hardwater2

« Reply #9145 on: Apr 09, 2022, 06:07 AM »
Blocking off the road will deter but not sure will stop this. Most likely will anger them.  They will park somewhere else and walk in there. I’ve witnessed this same thing in MN and Wisconsin. It’s how it starts, and gets real bad  pretty quickly. Let’s all hope for the best outcome for everyone sake.

KingPerch

« Reply #9146 on: Apr 09, 2022, 07:15 AM »
Most of the property along that creek is private. Most folks don’t appreciate trespassing. Hopefully, they call the law without confronting people. I’d make the call myself first in these times. I’m with Trap… lots of folks on here have native Indian heritage…..
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

« Reply #9147 on: Apr 09, 2022, 07:15 AM »
has  anyone seen any of this on the news  ????

KingPerch

« Reply #9148 on: Apr 09, 2022, 07:20 AM »
Channel 9 had a quick news flash about it Trap.
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

« Reply #9149 on: Apr 09, 2022, 07:23 AM »
interesting that something this  big  and  no news  coverage ...... things like this  should  be covered.....i have many many questions

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.