FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56455 times)

fishingjason

Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #225 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Very interesting information keeps coming....

fishingjason

« Reply #226 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Can anyone identify this one?

Nice catch fishit.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #227 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:45 PM »
looks like a nice trout to me 8) its not a salmon ;D. good one

monic20

« Reply #228 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Nice bow love the colors!! I see background then i dont lol keep them ditch.es close Jason..

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #229 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:59 PM »

Some day I'll have to read this thread. nice double bar Jason.  ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishingjason

« Reply #230 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Funny. No ditches . It was Fuccillo size water.

fishgalore

« Reply #231 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Can anyone identify this one?

Nice catch fishit.

There is a thread on SC that I got involved in over the same exact ID issue. I'll give you my 2 cents. It's a Steelie! There was little agreement on SC and here is the link for those interested.........its about 4 pages but the pic is the second fish in the 1st post over there. You will see it's almost exactly the same except the fish posted here is fatter.

Here's a quote from a poster over there that I think is pertinent:-

Posted by Setterman on the top of p4. My post is on p 3.

Nice Fish! I've seen a lot of those "domestic rainbows" over the past few years. With that being said, I'll give you my two cents. The colored up fish is a skamania, not a "domestic rainbow". In my eyes, the double band is the giveaway. I fish certain areas with a mix of bows and steelhead. When they are both in there at the same time, its very easy to tell the difference. The bows we catch this time of year are indeed fall spawners. The steelhead are not, with the exception of the rare skamania. The bows tend to have a deeper body than the steelies, are colored up, and the males have a HUGE mouth. I'll try to dig up a few pics to post...

Compare the two fish by viewing here:-  http://www.salmoncrazy.com/forum/index.php?/topic/53300-let-the-good-times-roll/

BTW:- Beautiful beast of a fish that is Fishit!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #232 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:51 PM »
skamania spawn  in  spring  they  just  enter  water  earlier 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishgalore

« Reply #233 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:57 PM »
skamania spawn  in  spring  they  just  enter  water  earlier  

Oops Trapp, got you on this one.................

The last sentence in the link provided of point #4..........................says about Skamania..................."They have also been manipulated thru fish culture to spawn in the fall unlike the natural spring spawning of rainbows & steelhead."

I know you will find this interesting.............You can read it here:- http://www.fishthesalmonriver.com/article582.html

fishgalore

« Reply #234 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Here's some more info from a 2004 DEC report...................a quote from p 16 on the right hand column top 1/3 of the paragraph:-

"The dominant strains
stocked since 1980 have been Washington strain
steelhead, Skamania strain steelhead, and Randolph
strain domestic rainbow trout, all stocked by DEC,
and Ganaraska strain steelhead stocked by the
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR).
Most of these fish have been stocked without fin
clips or other identifying marks, and as a result,
cannot be separated by visual inspection from each
other or from the naturally produced fish
."

Taken from here.......NYSDEC Lake Ontario Annual Report 2004:- http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lorpt04sec2.pdf

I'd guess that opinions vary within the DEC as well and may be a point of contention even among the most trained eyes on the topic. We've said it before and it may be the ONLY REAL way to find out............a genetic test of some sort is likely the only way possible to ID them with absolute 100 % certainty.

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #235 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:23 PM »
its definetly no ditch

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #236 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:31 PM »
now  fish question  if  we take  a  strain   of  fish  then manipulate it when does it stop being the orinal strain and become  the  lake ontario strain????.....

."They have also been manipulated thru fish culture to spawn in the fall unlike the natural spring spawning of rainbows & steelhead." i  had  read and  commented  on some  steelhead  reportly  fall spawning  in fact  theres  lake  erie  reports  and  west  coast reports  also  ....very interesting  ....  i still  believe  what i have  said  right  along  you  can't  id  by appearance  alone  ..amazing   stuff ....however i  have a  coin  that amazingly  as accurite  as  we are at guessing!!!! 

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishgalore

« Reply #237 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:43 PM »
now  fish question  if  we take  a  strain   of  fish  then manipulate it when does it stop being the orinal strain and become  the  lake ontario strain????.....

EXACTLY! Natural production is occurring and well I'd guess some cross breeding must be happening too!

monic20

« Reply #238 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:56 PM »

I know but its a quick spot for everyone to head too instead of sr...

fishgalore

« Reply #239 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:43 PM »
What I'm finding is that no one, not a biologist, experienced fisherman, fish culturist, etc., etc., ad infinitum can successfully 100 % proof positive ID the specific strain of fish by a visual inspection. My hunch is now confirmed, albeit ahead of my reading schedule.

I have resisted reading specific information relative to this discussion ahead of time but I cannot do it any longer. So here's some more confusing information from the book. I have fast forwarded in reading the specific info. in advance of actually getting there.

From a paragraph on p 51 while discussing 2 distinct life forms, namely rainbows ( a more adventurous variety called steelhead) and cutthroats (spend all their life in freshwater).

"How these 2 different life forms evolved is unclear and will likely remain mysterious for some time to come, even if molecular biologists are able to find the gene or genes that cause some fish to head for the open ocean and others to remain at home. However, it has led to some serious taxonomic difficulties. Unlike the steelhead, resident rainbow trout may reach sexual maturity when they are no more than eight inches long and weigh less than a pound. Yet because they are the same species, resident rainbows and steelhead occasionally interbreed, thereby transferring genes from one population to another. And because they commonly return to the stream in which they hatched to spawn, steelhead are usually more closely related to the resident rainbows in their spawning streams than they are to other steelhead in other parts of the same watershed."

There is more to come but it'll have to wait for now. "Chew on this" for now.

If this don't make your head spin then I don't know what will!!!!   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.