FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Struck Out  (Read 888 times)

bogtrotter

Struck Out
« on: Feb 07, 2021, 10:08 PM »
I must have used up all my good luck while ice fishing yesterday.  (The topic of a separate post on IceShanty).

Today, just for variety, I went stream fishing from about 10:30 AM to 1 PM.

It was cloudy, snowing (lightly at first, but more heavily later on) and about 25 degrees.

First I tried the North Hoosic and Hudson Brook in North Adams, and then I gave my "old reliable" stream in my hometown a whirl.

But my experience was identical on all three streams - - not so much as a twitch on my line.

bogtrotter

. . . But Then I Hit a Double
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:08 PM »
Today was sort of the flip-side of a couple weekends ago. 

That time, I did well ice fishing but struck out open water/stream fishing.  Today, the ice fishing was poor but the stream fishing made up for it.

This morning, after getting skunked ice fishing in the morning with my younger son on Berkshire Pond in Lanesboro, I brought my son home and moved my ice fishing gear (along with my spinning rod and cross-country skiis) to the Greylock Glen in Adams.

The day started out sunny with blue skies in the morning, clouded over and started flurrying in the early afternoon, and then cleared a little bit but kept flurrying later in the afternoon. 

Temps were in the mid 20's all day, although the wind slowly picked up from about 5 mph in the AM to between 10 and 15 mph in the late afternoon.

Both ponds were frozen solid - - except for one small corner of Berkshire Pond where a small stream flows in and ducks were swimming around.

On both ponds, there was about 12" of ice (a touch more at the Glen) under a couple inches of snow - - although the snow around (as opposed to on) the ponds (particularly at the Glen) was considerably deeper (albeit varying considerably from a few inches in some spots to knee depth in others).

Ice fishing at the Glen was only a little better than at Berkshire Pond.  No flags, but I did land one 4" sunfish on a jig just before I left around 5 PM.

But the skiing was pretty good - - I did a loop (well actually a big "U" out and back) around the Glen - - during a "lull" (L/O/L) in the ice fishing action.

I also broke out my spinning rod and returned to my "old reliable" stream, where, after a couple false starts, I was fortunate enough to reel in a couple brookies (a feisty 4" and a whopper of a 5" specimen).

lowaccord66

Re: Struck Out
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:55 PM »
Good stuff Jim I am about to get the long rods out myself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.