FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rushsford Lake, N.Y. sportsman we need your voice !  (Read 9070 times)

the Wizard

Rushsford Lake, N.Y. sportsman we need your voice !
« on: May 31, 2015, 08:04 AM »
To all the NY sportsman out there , Please help a few of us Western NY Fisherman be heard,  one of our local lakes are being shut down to the public by the cottage owners and there are many that are from Canada ,NJ and where ever else. 
   They want the lake stocked with trout [that NY York fisherman pay for ] and they just had repairs done to the dam [and will need more ] ,Which requires Gov. grants and NY tax money {Millions }.  But they don't want (OUTSIDERS) Or as I call them {Locals & Tax payers}.
   Please call Cathy Young's office or your local Gov. official and tell them" No Use ,NO Fish and No Grants.

Fair is Fair  / 

Cathy Young / Albany-518-455-3563
                    / Olean- 716-372-4901                                                                                                               Thank You
Catch and release in a hot pan of grease.

Gump

Re: Rushsford Lake, N.Y. sportsman we need your voice !
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Do you have any links to actual proposals for this? Where can we find out more detailed information?

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

ship of fools

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:54 AM »
I know i have heard that a lake without public access will not be stocked by the state??

arcadeangler

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 10:25 AM »
also not one public cent should be given to help with the dam either then let it crumble then just my .02 too. this lake has been an issue for many yearsa and have been getting worse

perchpirate97

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 10:32 AM »
I agree with what you're saying, but why not just fish elsewhere? The fishing in Rushford lake is below average, where guys brag about catching a barely legal walleye. All species have an extremely slow growth rate, not to mention battling with jet-skis and water-skiers all day. Sure, there aren't many "sure thing" lakes in the immediate area, but drive the hour to Erie and catch all the eyes you want. Drive thirty minutes and fish any of the trout streams, some of which will produce trout as big or bigger than what Rushford Lake will produce. There are a dozen places within an hour of Rushford that will yield big panfish. Should it be closed to the public? Of course not. But are there better options out there? Several.

ship of fools

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 10:51 AM »
I looked on the NY State Dec. web site where it claims open launch 24/7 with free launching for boats 25 hp and under for fishing only .

Sounds like it is time for an MFF fishing tournament using that little launch  ;D

arcadeangler

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Your right it is the principal.

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I agree with the wizard   ,,, wether it mediocre fishing or not,,,  which lake will be next..    . ill be making the call and emailing. thanks wizard for info.   

FISHNIK

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:58 PM »
The privatization of public waters sets a very dangerous precident,if they can pull it off in Rushford,what lake will be next?I thought this is the very reason our forefathers left England! Everyone should be very wary of this and speak their mind to anyone that can help our cause,thanks for the headsup Wiz.

FN

fishinjohn

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:15 PM »
Here is the problem.. NYS seems to have this idea in their head, that they can do WHATEVER THEY WANT and because a politician says it's ok, then it's ok... IT'S NOT OK! Not trying to hijack this thread but... it starts right at the top with our wonderful governor.. From the new gun laws to the state telling people who live in the country (15 neighbors in neighborhood and closest one 200 yards from house) and being told they can't burn a outside woodstove, right down to closing pivate lakes because money talks... This fires me up! I will be calling the senator tomorrow and voicing my opinion! The use of State funds
+ taxpayers money
= taxpayers/public use BOTTOM LINE!
 Next thing will be taxpayers will be forbidden to use state land..

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 09:06 PM »
several questions this public boat launch is open and the general public can use it?...... and exactly how  are the homeowners attempting to keep fisherman out????...if there is a public launch the dec should  ask for a easement to be signed before any further stocking or any grant money for dam repairs .....I seen the exact same thing happen on Cazenovia lake ....get the links up here  and the  up to date information so when elected officals are called we don't sound like  knuckleheads ....also call the DEC about stocking
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bb4

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 09:21 PM »
First, I agree and believe we should be able to fish all lakes.  The post is just to provide information found on the DEC website.

From the DEC website-"privately owned". Also, the DEC does not list a state owned launch for Rushford .

Rushford Lake
Contour map thumbnail of Rushford Lake - (216 KB pdf file)
Click on thumbnail to see PDF
version of contour map (216 KB)
Rushford Lake is a 585 acre man-made reservoir located in northwest Allegany County. The  privately owned lake was built by Rochester Gas and Electric in the late 1920s and then sold in 1981 to the Rushford Lake Recreational District. The lake is drawn down about 40 feet each winter and ice fishing is not permitted.

Boat Launch Sites for Allegany County
Note: Use the following definitions to help you determine if a particular site will accommodate your boat.

The only lakes in Allegany county with DEC launch sites (from the DEC website): Allen Lake, Alma Pond, and Cuba Lake.  Rushford is not listed so the launch might be owned by Rushford giving them control.

Hard surface or concrete ramp--site affords float-off and float-on launching for most trailered boats.
Beach launch--no float-off or float-on trailered boat capability. Sites will accommodate the approach to the water's edge of small and light trailered boats. Boat may then be pushed on or off trailer. Usually shallow areas.
Hand launch--no trailer capacity. Boats must be hand carried to the water.
Car top launch--For canoe/kayak launching. Limited parking available.
Allegany County, DEC Region 9
Water   Town   Location   Type   Parking   Invasive species Present*   Comments   Agency
Allen Lake   Allen Lake Multiple Use Area   Town of Allen, northeast of the Village of Belfast, off West Hill Road.   Gravel launch   25 cars      Accessible to people with disabilities. Electric motors only   DEC
Alma Pond   Alma   3 miles east of Village of Alma, southwest of Village of Wellsville on CR 38.   Hand launch   10 cars         DEC
Cuba Lake   Cuba   Off West Shore Road, near the Rawson Creek inlet.   Concrete ramp   24 cars and trailers, plus 10 cars   Eurasian Watermilfoil, Curly-leaf Pondweed, European Naiad, Zebra Mussel
DEC

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 09:27 PM »
if the lake is man made   just like a  man made  marina they can keep you out ,however stocking should be stoped
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #14 on: Jun 01, 2015, 10:33 AM »
if it was a private lake owned by  lake association how do they get it stocked by our tax dollars and d**n repaired by tax dollars or grants,,,,  I know the property owners are taxpayers also  BUT  don't understand  :-\   so if I have a huge pond and need my pond stocked will they do it for me...     seems kinda crazy. checkout the link from arcadeangler,,   says residents can get a key if they want to use anyother time for 10 bucks doesn't say anyone else can.   aka, joepublic.  im goin call in bit see what I can find out. thanks wizard. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.