FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Resi updates  (Read 2569 times)

bigr

Resi updates
« on: Feb 05, 2024, 09:08 AM »
After a trip out to both sally and missy yesterday i can say they are both in good enough shape to catch fish. I didn't fish but watched a few guys catching crappie and saw a few catfishing. I checked the Corp site a few minutes ago and it shows the Sally is now down to winter pool. For me that means the bite should only get better as the water clears and currents slow. Thursday Friday with the warm temps might be a good time to get out. The Missy is only a couple ft from winter pool and the corp is dumping alot of water. Winter pool will be meet tomorrow. Now here's a twist to the Missy. I've been informed the corp is going to drop the level atleast five feet below winter pool for repairs to the Miami boat ramp. That level could be this week and continue until repairs are complete in April. You Boat guys will need to check property manager for use of Red bridge ramp. May not even be able to launch on it while level is that low. This is all from hear say so a quick call to confirm levels might be a good ideal.  Now the reason I'm alittle excited about the low level possibility is the last time the level was that low was during the Dam repairs many years ago. The first late winter early spring if my memory serves me correct was absolutely fantastic fishing. The white bass ran up the river in February. Don't know why but they did. Crappie soon followed. It wasn't a warm early spring because I remember fishing in my ice fishing outfit and even during a big snow storm. If the repairs do take until April that would take us into normal spring bites. Access by foot and small boats and canoes and kayaks might have the advantage for a short time during the peak bite periods. Stay tone for updates. After a quick check of corp site resi levels i see the Sally is also down over a ft and a half. That tells me there isn't as much water in the 105 area and i would suggest dropping downstream alittle to the lost bridge west beach area. Great parking, easy walk and plenty of space to move around. Not sure why it is that low but likely they are doing repairs on those ramps also or it's in anticipation of containing levels that will allow work to to done on Missy. You have to remember all three upper reservoirs controls the level on the Wabash. The corp could hold back all water on the Roush and sally and completely open gates on missy the maintain the low level there for the repairs.

crappieminnow

Re: Resi updates
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2024, 08:13 AM »
Went over to red bridge yesterday. Ramp is closed.

Daybreak

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2024, 09:15 AM »
Went over to red bridge yesterday. Ramp is closed.

Thanks for letting us know. I wonder if this will be the case until the ramp repair at Miami SRA is complete? Keep us posted.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

bherr24

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2024, 11:38 AM »
My guess is it will be that way till its complete. They were saying april in there statement they put out. I was going to bank fish this past weekend but woke up saturday and just couldnt find my motivation. Maybe next weekend. Been a while since ive fished it this low and when i did it was more spring/summer then february. The same usual spots still pretty good at this level bigr?

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2024, 06:22 AM »
Weekend update. all the ramps are unusable. Level is a5 ft below winter pool. To my knowledge the missy has never been this low since its construction. Very strange seeing dry land/mud in places I've never seen before. If your willing to do some hiking you will surely find a few boat anchors. Water is clearing nicely and the fish being so confined are stacked in certain areas. It's been a very good few days for myself and several other in the red bridge area. Big black heavy bodied crappie are what's being kept. I stopped in in the missinawa office to pick up my 24 boat launch sticker and the manager told me they hoped the low level would only be 2 to 3 weeks if all goes well. I think that means weather has to corporate with work. If your willing to drag a canoe or a kayak to reach the water you'll likely find some fantastic fishing while it's low. You'll need to find a stoney location. were there's silt/mud it's like quick sand. Reports from the sally are saying the lots of fish with of course a lot of sorting but a nice mess of fish could be had. Nows the time to get out. One good rain or another cold blast will put an end to the access and fishing. Good luck all.

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2024, 06:51 AM »
Weekend update. all the ramps are unusable. Level is a5 ft below winter pool. To my knowledge the missy has never been this low since its construction. Very strange seeing dry land/mud in places I've never seen before. If your willing to do some hiking you will surely find a few boat anchors. Water is clearing nicely and the fish being so confined are stacked in certain areas. It's been a very good few days for myself and several other in the red bridge area. Big black heavy bodied crappie are what's being kept. I stopped in in the missinawa office to pick up my 24 boat launch sticker and the manager told me they hoped the low level would only be 2 to 3 weeks if all goes well. I think that means weather has to corporate with work. If your willing to drag a canoe or a kayak to reach the water you'll likely find some fantastic fishing while it's low. You'll need to find a stoney location. were there's silt/mud it's like quick sand. Reports from the sally are saying the lots of fish with of course a lot of sorting but a nice mess of fish could be had. Nows the time to get out. One good rain or another cold blast will put an end to the access and fishing. Good luck all.
After a trip out to both sally and missy yesterday i can say they are both in good enough shape to catch fish. I didn't fish but watched a few guys catching crappie and saw a few catfishing. I checked the Corp site a few minutes ago and it shows the Sally is now down to winter pool. For me that means the bite should only get better as the water clears and currents slow. Thursday Friday with the warm temps might be a good time to get out. The Missy is only a couple ft from winter pool and the corp is dumping alot of water. Winter pool will be meet tomorrow. Now here's a twist to the Missy. I've been informed the corp is going to drop the level atleast five feet below winter pool for repairs to the Miami boat ramp. That level could be this week and continue until repairs are complete in April. You Boat guys will need to check property manager for use of Red bridge ramp. May not even be able to launch on it while level is that low. This is all from hear say so a quick call to confirm levels might be a good ideal.  Now the reason I'm alittle excited about the low level possibility is the last time the level was that low was during the Dam repairs many years ago. The first late winter early spring if my memory serves me correct was absolutely fantastic fishing. The white bass ran up the river in February. Don't know why but they did. Crappie soon followed. It wasn't a warm early spring because I remember fishing in my ice fishing outfit and even during a big snow storm. If the repairs do take until April that would take us into normal spring bites. Access by foot and small boats and canoes and kayaks might have the advantage for a short time during the peak bite periods. Stay tone for updates. After a quick check of corp site resi levels i see the Sally is also down over a ft and a half. That tells me there isn't as much water in the 105 area and i would suggest dropping downstream alittle to the lost bridge west beach area. Great parking, easy walk and plenty of space to move around. Not sure why it is that low but likely they are doing repairs on those ramps also or it's in anticipation of containing levels that will allow work to to done on Missy. You have to remember all three upper reservoirs controls the level on the Wabash. The corp could hold back all water on the Roush and sally and completely open gates on missy the maintain the low level there for the repairs.

INboat

« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2024, 10:09 AM »
Thinking about making the 1 1/2 drive up Saturday to fish missy.  Would it bb worth a try or is the level to jacked up?

bherr24

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2024, 10:00 PM »
Fished Missy today just west of red bridge. It was slow but i caught a few. Kept 10 had 2 over 12 inches. Also caught 3 smallmouths. One was pushing 3 pounds. It was a strange crappie bite. They bit all day but there was no pattern to em at all. Sometimes id go 20 minutes without a hit then have one hit the next cast as soon as it hit the water. Then id catch 2 in a row and then go a half hour with no bites. I talked to another guy who said they were hitting much better earlier in the week where i was. I had my son snd his buddy along too and they were catfishing. They went 1 for 2. Lost a real nice one on a piece of cut crappie. I may try again next weekend if conditions are right.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2024, 06:08 AM »
The cat bite is on. I had two bottom rods out baited with small chunks of crappie meat and managed 5 real nice cats in the 4 to 8 lb range. I fished a third pole for crappie and picked up another 11 real nice black crappie up to 13 inches. Great day to be out with the sun shining a lot of the time. The ramps are still under repair, and none are useable. Either resi. If this weather continues we will have an early spawn. The blacks I cleaned were really bulging with egg development. I'm convinced the blacks in the resi's spawn earlier than the whites. That why you can find them up the river early. Might be the end of march we'll see them hit the shores and shallows to do their thing. For cats I am a big time believer in circle hooks. Never used them before last spring. Used them last summer on a few limb lines in the river as well. Perfect hook sets in the corner of the mouth. No deep hooks or need to jerk, just lift and pull pole up. This time of year in the resi's you better be close to your poles. When they take it they take it. No nibbling, just take off. I sat my two poles behind me while I was casting the crappie rod that way I could react and grab them as the shot toward the water. Good luck all and get out while the getting is good.

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2024, 08:39 AM »
Looking at the missy Corp of Eng site I see the level is back up to winter pool which I believe means red bridge ramp at least can be used. A quick call to the property office is advised. I know when the level is at winter pool a boat can get on resi. It's also the time of year that levels begin their slow rise to summer pool. Watch Corp site for those increased levels. One more thing is it is also that time of year the crappie and white bass start showing further upstream for the spring run. Search and destroy time, they really stack up when you find them.

bherr24

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2024, 08:42 PM »
I got over to Missy this evening and tried for crappie. The wind was a real pain, it was constant and pretty cold and had the water nearly whitecapping. It also was muddy. I caught maybe 10 crappie just fishing off cliff walls and letting waves move my jig right next to the wall. About half were kepper size but i was releasing everything today. I also lost a real nice one that may have pushed for my personal best. I may try again Friday unless its windy.

abishop

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2024, 11:03 PM »
There is something biblical about fishing on good Friday. I have caught very many limits of different species through the years. Always looking to go on this day especially. GOOD LUCK 2 U AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO IS PLANNING ON DIPPING A LINE.

bigr

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2024, 04:57 AM »
I'll be out that way also. This wind is terrible. Not much relieve in the forecast.

bherr24

« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2024, 09:16 AM »
Anyone know conditions up the river on Missy. Lake is just a tad over summer level and muddy im sure. River at marion is back down it looks like. Thinking about making a trip over tomorrow and hunt for some crappie before we get another inch of rain. Not sure where to begin, lake is not normally this high when i fish up the river. I know a few of my spots wont be fishable.

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2024, 05:19 AM »
I received pictures of fish taking up river with word the bite was on especially for white bass. Reenactment area. Find yourselves some slack area or a pool just below a ripple and have fun.Yesturday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.