FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A tale of two lakes... Flint and the Big Lake...  (Read 1042 times)

LundProv

A tale of two lakes... Flint and the Big Lake...
« on: Jul 18, 2020, 09:21 PM »
Too old to sleep past about 4:30 this morning...  Decided to fish some memories here at Flint in Valpo and took the Lund out to troll for crappies.  Usually, this time of year, I can get a limit (25) of crappies trolling 1/16 oz jigs/twisters at about 1.1 mph in 7-10' of water.  Some shorelines are better than others but the bite is usually good.  Not much happening with only 2 crappies caught and changing over to fishing for gills with bee moths was not much better.  Still good to get out and got off the water by 9.  Home to shower, snack and read and while reading, son calls me and tells me he has been catching steelies on the big lake and wonders if I will get some minnows and come out to perch.  So, back into fishing clothes and to the bait store.  Picked up my 91 yo friend on short notice and he was all eager to go.  Son came in at Portage and picked us up and we headed east of the donut in about 39' of water.  Found a spot that was productive and hit the spot lock on the minn kota and got 3 limits of perch, between 1 and 3 PM,  a few gobies and an alweive...  Biggest perch was just shy of 14" and also caught some dinks.  Tried to not keep anything under 9"... Was not hot and heavy and used one dead stick over the side and casted out the other rod.  Fish would come and go but it seemed as if one of us had a fish going most of the time.  Overall, a good day of fishing and being outdoors in spite of the heat.  Look forward to what tomorrow brings...

RoeBoat

Re: A tale of two lakes... Flint and the Big Lake...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2020, 11:06 PM »
Great report, thanks for sharing!  Always enjoy reading your details.  I didn't make it out today, friends talked me out of the big water and just decided it was hotter than I wanted it to be to fish locally. 

Going to hit Lake MI next weekend Lord willing.  Nothing seems to be going smooth as of late.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2020, 11:16 PM »
I didnt have a buddy to go with on Saturday. So I decided to say to my self it was too hot anyway. Next weekend 4 sure.

Spencerville

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2020, 03:49 AM »
Glad someone got after them.  OT this week but got out of next weeks OT so.... I'll be back at it then if the winds alow.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2020, 06:39 AM »
Enjoyed your report. Good on the perch!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.