FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 40" pike  (Read 11911 times)

pruville

Re: 40" pike
« Reply #60 on: Jul 11, 2012, 08:28 PM »
by the way, it seems like there is only one person throwing a stink that the fish went home for dinner.  I guess he is just a better man than all of us!
nice pike, congratulate your father,season fish the way you like it, wrap in foil ,cook it on an open fire and invite some freinds to eat. Any problems see me.

gotabig1

« Reply #61 on: Jul 12, 2012, 03:09 AM »
Nice fish. I'm still looking for a 40"+ Pike that would fit on my wall. By the way, that recipe for patties sounds delicious.

Cornbread

« Reply #62 on: Jul 12, 2012, 09:38 AM »
In Finland(where I graduated high school before coming to the US to join the Marine Corps) we have a way of eating pike that is simply fantastic and a 40" pike in your gill nets is not at all uncommon there, pike get much larger than that there and we are allowed to sustenance fish with gill nets in addition to regular fishing pole and line fishing which unlike here does not require a license. In Finland being able to fish is a part of something codified in law that roughly translates to "every man's rights" and so long as you are using only a single pole per person you do not need a license to fish, but you do need a family sustenance permit to use gill nets, anyway I digress. Here are two recipes that are used to make a type of fish patty from pike that is amazing when done correctly. You will have to translate the units to the imperial / apothecary units used here in the US where she did not do it. If there are a ton of misspellings blame my sister, English is not her first language and she translated these from my mother's recipes to English for me so I could post them:

Fish patties
12-14 pieces
500-600 grams of fresh skinless fish fillets
1 ˝ dl breadcrumbs
2dl cream
˝ juice of a lemon
1tl dried dill
Bunch of chives
1 onion
1 tablespoon oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
˝ teaspoon lemon pepper
Oil for frying

•   Measure bread crumbs,  cream, lemon juice, dill and chives into a bowl and mix
•   Chop the onion into small pieces and sauté in oil in a frying pan  until soft. Add the onions and eggs into the mixing bowl
•   Cut the boneless fish fillets into smaller pieces and grind them in a meat grinder or a blender. If you haven’t removed the small bones, grind the fillets 2-3 times in the meat grinder
•   Add the fish, lemon pepper and salt into the mixing bowl
•   Heat the frying pan and add oil to a hot pan. Make a small test hamburger and taste if there is enough salt. Then bake hamburger patties and fry them golden brown on both sides on medium heat.
•   You can also use other fresh herbs or chili sauce for seasoning.
•   Serve with mashed potatoes, shrimp sauce or egg sauce. In Finland we would make a sort of sour cream sauce with eggs or shrimps or maybe dill. “kermaviilikastike”.

Pikeballs or Pikepatties
Ingredients:
500g of pike or other fish fillet
I big slice of bread chopped
1dl cream
˝ dl sunflower seeds
Cold water
1 garlic clove
2 tomatoes
Bundle of coriander
2 eggs
White pepper
Black pepper from a peppermill
1/2dl of oil
Salt butter
•   Grind the fish fillet
•   Soak a large piece of bread in cream
•   Soak the sunflower seeds in cold water
•   Crush the garlic clove
•   Parboil the tomato, chop into small cubes and de-seed
•   Wash and chop the coriander
•   Beat the eggs and mix with the bread, mix with the rest of the ingredients, add the peppers, salt and oil
•   Make a test cake and fry it in a mixture of oil and butter, form cakes or balls and fry until well done. Moist the cakes with frying stock while frying.
•   Cakes are easier to make if you oil your hands! Change herbs and seasoning if you like!
•   Serve with potatoes, boiled or mashed, rice or vegetables. Especially delicious with fried chanterelles.

I had to look this up but here are some conversions to help:
1 tl= 1 Teaspoon
1 rkl= 1 Tablespoon
1 dl = 0.422675284 US cups
500 grams = 1.1 pounds
There are only two types of truly happy people in this world, married women and single men.

wec

« Reply #63 on: Jul 13, 2012, 03:47 AM »
Awesome Pike.  Just smoked three I kept last winter, all over 30 inches.  No problem keeping fish as long as you either eat them or get them mounted.  I caught 60 fish last winter, and kept nine, not really hurting the fish population in any of lakes I fished.  Great catch, hope it tasted good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.