FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: December...Smoked Them Off the Line, but Then a Wheel Came Off  (Read 2908 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

I ended November hobbling around, hoping for my right leg to come back on its own.  Things were going the wrong direction, but I had a spot or 2 that required burning a lot of gas, but no long hikes.  The fish were there to greet me.  32 quality fish in 3 short outings totaling 5 hours.  A mix that was heavy on fall stocked brookies, but also had a good batch of salmon and a few browns.  I was able to travel light in the tackle department, with chartreuse tubes accounting for 90% of the catch.  The male brookies were apparently excited about being caught :laugh:

I was on a serious roll until the 9th, when I suddenly lost strength in my leg and I had all I could do to avoid a header into deep water.  The drive home was an adventure with my gas/brake foot flopping like a fish out of water. On the 11th, the docs figured out that I had a broken leg that had likely been that way since early November when I took a hard tumble in NY.  The ankle had been xray'ed several times since, but they had never looked high enough to catch the fracture just below the knee.  A month of fishing had caused the raw bone to slice a nerve.  They shut me down and I had surgery on the 20th. 

It's hard wade to wade in this. :o

I hope to get enough back to be able to keep my open water streak alive in January by hooking up before Jan. 31.  I'm optimistic 8)

zwiggles

Re: December...Smoked Them Off the Line, but Then a Wheel Came Off
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Way to keep on the fish Jim, and good luck with the recovery. This site would not be the same in the winter without your wonderful posts. I hope you had a merry Christmas and are mending well!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:19 AM »
Great report Jim, sorry to hear about the break in your leg.  I remember being pretty devastated when I initially thought I may miss the early fall LL Salmon runs due to a broken heel, like you I too rushed back as fast as I could to get on the water and probably delayed my recovery, though not nearly as bad as your case from the sound of it (I didn't need surgery).  That must be frustrating that those xrays you had didn't catch it, similar happened to me (inconclusive xray) except the CT scan caught the fracture (luckily not a bad one).  Wish you a speedy recovery, good luck!

As for the fish, I like the salmon, especially that golden/yellow belly'd male.  good stuff, you always seem to get those very-late season salmon.

Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2019, 01:13 PM »
Thanks, Randall.

I wish I could take back that fall I had back in early Nov., but I can't.  I take chances in my pursuit of fish, so getting banged up is part of the game.  I have at least 3 doctors involved because of the nerve damage.  They seem to be going in different directions somewhat :o  It will likely be months, not weeks.  When the fishing's good, everything seems good.  If I'm not fishing....... :cursing:

Great report Jim, sorry to hear about the break in your leg.  I remember being pretty devastated when I initially thought I may miss the early fall LL Salmon runs due to a broken heel, like you I too rushed back as fast as I could to get on the water and probably delayed my recovery, though not nearly as bad as your case from the sound of it (I didn't need surgery).  That must be frustrating that those xrays you had didn't catch it, similar happened to me (inconclusive xray) except the CT scan caught the fracture (luckily not a bad one).  Wish you a speedy recovery, good luck!

As for the fish, I like the salmon, especially that golden/yellow belly'd male.  good stuff, you always seem to get those very-late season salmon.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2020, 12:20 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear it went to that extent!   I'm hopeful your recovery is going well.  I'd encourage you to lay low for a bit but I know how you like your streak.....will we see a similar photo in your next thread???

Here's to better health in the New Year! 

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2020, 03:36 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  This recovery is like watching water boil, but I will get better or adapt  ;)

Wow, sorry to hear it went to that extent!   I'm hopeful your recovery is going well.  I'd encourage you to lay low for a bit but I know how you like your streak.....will we see a similar photo in your next thread???

Here's to better health in the New Year! 

fish wayniac

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:11 AM »
Jim, WOW 32 fish in 5 hours is impressive . That was productive fishing. No wonder your leg kept bothering you. The doctors sure missed the initial injury. Oops! Good luck in your recovery.

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:24 AM »
Thanks, Wayne.

Yes a big oops on the part of the doctors considering I was first seen just days after the injury.  "Paging Joe Bornstein" :-\

Jim, WOW 32 fish in 5 hours is impressive . That was productive fishing. No wonder your leg kept bothering you. The doctors sure missed the initial injury. Oops! Good luck in your recovery.

slammah

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:26 AM »
Bummer Jim! Im crossing my fingers you'll be back at it soon!

Jim C.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Thanks, Josh.  I'm hoping to make my first cast in about 2 weeks.  Chomping at the bit. ;D

Bummer Jim! Im crossing my fingers you'll be back at it soon!

franklin fisher

« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2020, 03:12 PM »
Nice fish Jim. Sorry for your most recent set back. Hope you can get healed up soon.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2020, 03:34 PM »
Jim that sucks about your leg! You must be going stir crazy 🤪 hopefully you’re back at it sooner than later either wading or on the ice.

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Sorry to hear of your injury Jim but you're not alone.

On the 13th of Jan. I was down to my smelt shacks to
replace a couple of lines and then fish for a while. I noticed
that I had lost the stabilicer on my left foot and as I was coming
out of one of the shacks, I slipped on the foot without the cleat
and landed on the threshold. The end result was 5 broken ribs
and a week in the hospital. I was alone and It was a long drive home.
I'm home now, can't wait to get back down there.
Count for January was just over 3,000. Last year we had 7,841 for the year. Unbelievable
private spot. Both camps are fished nearly every night. I have several wardens,
both inland and marine that fish and take good care of the camps.
Wayniac is going down with me and let me know when you can go.
Hope you get better.
Also, our fly tier is gearing up if you know anybody.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2020, 08:04 AM »
Ouch, Bob.  Those ribs must be some painful.  All the best for a quick heal.  I've fallen victim to that one clean off and one cleat on thing.  Can be worse than  wearing none in some ways.

Good action at your smelt shacks!

Sorry to hear of your injury Jim but you're not alone.

On the 13th of Jan. I was down to my smelt shacks to
replace a couple of lines and then fish for a while. I noticed
that I had lost the stabilicer on my left foot and as I was coming
out of one of the shacks, I slipped on the foot without the cleat
and landed on the threshold. The end result was 5 broken ribs
and a week in the hospital. I was alone and It was a long drive home.
I'm home now, can't wait to get back down there.
Count for January was just over 3,000. Last year we had 7,841 for the year. Unbelievable
private spot. Both camps are fished nearly every night. I have several wardens,
both inland and marine that fish and take good care of the camps.
Wayniac is going down with me and let me know when you can go.
Hope you get better.
Also, our fly tier is gearing up if you know anybody.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.