FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Male and Female Yellow Perch  (Read 39300 times)

monkeyman2269

Re: Male and Female Yellow Perch
« Reply #60 on: Mar 24, 2011, 04:44 PM »
you are right my freind the dec is incompitent i was going to school to be one then they just slashed all there budgets and stuff so its not even worth it no more and it doesnt help our sportsman is almost 90 bucks

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #61 on: Mar 24, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Putting musky in trout streams!  :o

in Pa I was fly fishing in spring creek outside bellefonte (its a no kill stream since the 50's i believe) when i saw something i had to do a double take on.  the spot i was at was a section that you had to use barbless and you could not set foot in the stream.  I was eyeing some trout activity up stream and started to walk the shore up to them.  when i got there I noticed that i was not the only thing watching them.  there was about a mid 30 inch range tiger musky  looking at them to.  nearest place a tiger could of come from was at least 2o miles away.  I told a PFBC guy about it and he did not believe me so i actually took him up there and had to show him that it was there, he acted surprised to see it there.  I say surprised because I told some other guys about it later in the day and they said that it would not surprise them.  i asked them why that would be and they said that they had heard that the PFBC was rumored to have secretly put some tigers into the stream as a way to control the trout population. 

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #62 on: Mar 24, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Believe it or not only 2 years old at around 18 inches. I had some 2 years olds as big as 19 1/4. I had some parasite and bacterial  issues in the pond that fall and treated the pond with a minimum amount of potassium permanganate and ended up killing most of them. (At least Iwas able to scoop them up and sell them to othertaxidermists).

I thought it was necessary because I was losing two or three a week. Turns out I probably should have just left them alone and just planted initially compensate for losses.  Brook trout are very touchy compared to browns and rainbows.

If I would have kept them for one more year they would have been in the 22 - 24 inch range and 5 to 6 lbs.  Just like the government I do more damage by doing something.

If I raise trout again it will probably be in a barn in large recirculating tanks where I can keep parasites and pathogens out and control the water quality and temperature better.

that potassium permangenate  messes with them pretty good in a flow through system as well.  we use it to treat some external parasites on our trout as well.   We tend to give them a pretty good dose when we do too.  Our browns seem to fair the worst as mortalities are concerned after a treatment. 

taxid

« Reply #63 on: Mar 24, 2011, 06:14 PM »
in Pa I was fly fishing in spring creek outside bellefonte (its a no kill stream since the 50's i believe) when i saw something i had to do a double take on.  the spot i was at was a section that you had to use barbless and you could not set foot in the stream.  I was eyeing some trout activity up stream and started to walk the shore up to them.  when i got there I noticed that i was not the only thing watching them.  there was about a mid 30 inch range tiger musky  looking at them to.  nearest place a tiger could of come from was at least 2o miles away.  I told a PFBC guy about it and he did not believe me so i actually took him up there and had to show him that it was there, he acted surprised to see it there.  I say surprised because I told some other guys about it later in the day and they said that it would not surprise them.  i asked them why that would be and they said that they had heard that the PFBC was rumored to have secretly put some tigers into the stream as a way to control the trout population. 

Why would they want to control trout?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #64 on: Mar 24, 2011, 06:19 PM »
that potassium permangenate  messes with them pretty good in a flow through system as well.  we use it to treat some external parasites on our trout as well.   We tend to give them a pretty good dose when we do too.  Our browns seem to fair the worst as mortalities are concerned after a treatment.  

Actually the pond is flow through albeit nowhere near what a raceway is. 100,000 gallons in the pond and 64,800 goes through the pond in 24 hrs. I gave them the lowest concentration possible after a jar test of the lowest amount that would turn the water pink, and it was still to much for the trout. I'm thinking it was 2 ppm.

What was disappointing is according to the jar test that amount should have been strong enough to last for the time duration required but it didn't as the pink color faded quickly. There must have been more organic matter in the pond than I realized. The flow was shut down for the treatment and I had a Kasco 1/2 hp surface aerator going at the same time in case of ensuing low D.O.

Most of the fish came to the top and were very stressed so I netted them out. Perhaps they would have recovered?  

Never had any issues with brown trout in the pond. Outstanding growth and health. No signs of stress whatsoever. But I raise them alone. They are real bullies to the smaller brook trout.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #65 on: Mar 24, 2011, 06:30 PM »
Why would they want to control trout?

My personal theory as well as well as the opinions of some of the guys I know was to improve the health of the trout. the stream has a ridiculous amount of trout in it, and there is two or three of the states trout hatcheries on the stream so there is a good amount of escapee's that get in as well. the trout were starting to get physically thin because they were to many mouths to feed and not enough food in the stream. the tigers would eat a good number of thetrout in there so that would of been a way to control the trout numbers and at the same time if it ended up being a mistake the tigers could not reproduce and would eventually work themselves out of the equation.  

I believe i heard that the number of trout per water acre was in the hundreds.    I will try and find out what the numbers back then were.    

taxid

« Reply #66 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:52 PM »
you are right my freind the dec is incompitent i was going to school to be one then they just slashed all there budgets and stuff so its not even worth it no more and it doesnt help our sportsman is almost 90 bucks

I doubt the entire DEC is incompetent but I was told one individual made the decision to test for everything under the sun, and when asked why by Dr. Eagre of APHIS, his response was, "Because I can."

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #67 on: Mar 24, 2011, 11:53 PM »
Oh I see.

Actually to sell fish across state lines in the Great Lakes states has become an expensive proposition due to the VHS hysteria. And no offense to New York, your state went off the deep end. New York wants certain fish species tested for diseases that don't even effect them. Like testing bass for diseases only trout get and vice versa. I'm thinking your DEC just wants the private sector to go away as the private sector can grow fish more cost effectively, and could put them out of a job if politicians find that out with all the budget problems. 

It's not our DEC that wishes for all of NYS's crazy reg.s...For the most part, they all come from uninformed puppets in legislation, that have no clue regarding the science of our wildlife. Just looking at numbers!

taxid

« Reply #68 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:31 PM »
It's not our DEC that wishes for all of NYS's crazy reg.s...For the most part, they all come from uninformed puppets in legislation, that have no clue regarding the science of our wildlife. Just looking at numbers!

Yes you can always count on ignorant politicians to do knee jerk reactions but APHIS shares some of the responsibility. As far as we are concerned they acted too fast and put a severe burden on the aquaculture industry.

It's now believed by some Cornell researchers that VHS has been in the Great Lakes for a long time, and the fish have pretty much either developed an immunity to the virus, or it has become a facultative pathogen (always there but does no harm unless the fish is stressed or in a weakend condition)

I've heard of the MASSIVE fish VHS kills, but never saw pictures to show they were as MASSIVE as they said they were, and one source says that in reality they only killed about 10 percent of the fish in the general area.  The pictures I did see of the fish kills showed the mortalities were mostly rough fish such as drum and gobies. A published study will come out soon, and it's been revealed thatfish have tested positive for VHS in all the major Great Lakes ports, but have no clinical signs of the disease. (Not sick).

If VHS was such as dire thing that would wipe out all out fish stocks, why aren't there any more fish kills? If testing fish farms is the answer to stop its spread, why has there yet to be one positive on a fish farm?

davejohnson2

« Reply #69 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:33 PM »
DEC sucks,  my neighbor raises bass, the state buys them buy requires 50% be killed and tested  >:(, he doesnt do that any more because he doesnt want to raise fish only to have half of them killed

taxid

« Reply #70 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:43 PM »
DEC sucks,  my neighbor raises bass, the state buys them buy requires 50% be killed and tested  >:(, he doesnt do that any more because he doesnt want to raise fish only to have half of them killed

How many is he selling? Unless DEC has some rules of their own that out out of the world of pathology guide lines, he shouldn't have to kill more than 60 per lot.  But maybe he is not selling many? I do know of fish farms that threw in the towel and are no longer in business because of the testing expenses.

I had to kill 60 yellow perch one year to sell 89.  Fortunately I was making enough money on the fish sale to justify it, but it was a shame to kill sixty 13 to 15 inch perch to sell 89.  The cost for testing for me last year for one lot was $300.00 but would be at least double if we had a vet trained to take the samples here. Fortunately we don't and the state is doing it at no charge for now.

Many fish farmers have numerous lots to test and costs run into the thousands of dollars. And like I said no VHS on the farms!

APHIS actually wanted us to test more than once a year and even pay vet to come out to the farm on an additional trip to "observe" the fish before they were transported! Talk about people that have no clue on what it takes to run a business.  One trout farm estimated the cost would have exceeded his profits for the year not to mention the fish that would have had to be sacrificed.  Fortunately we all fought it and they backed off.

davejohnson2

« Reply #71 on: Mar 25, 2011, 08:05 PM »
he had 4 ponds full of bass, about 60 yards by 30 yards. they took truck loads but he had to pay to have 1/2 tested

taxid

« Reply #72 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:22 PM »
he had 4 ponds full of bass, about 60 yards by 30 yards. they took truck loads but he had to pay to have 1/2 tested

My guess is the bass were brood size fish and he only had 120 in each pond, hence why half had to be sacrificed for testing.  (60)

I had a situation where Bass Pro Shops wanted all the smallmouth I could come up with. Unfortunately I could only come up with 60 large fish and the testing required 60 fish needed to be sacrificed for testing. So much for that sale!

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #73 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:52 PM »

That is just blatantly pathetic and typical governmental abuse towards an individual that obviously seems to be one of very few people devoted and passionate with this "hobby". :-\

harenk12

« Reply #74 on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Im looking to purchase some yellow perch for mounting curious if your still selling and if so how can i get a hold of you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.