FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: MILK ?  (Read 4249 times)

Phoenix

Re: MILK ?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2006, 03:34 AM »
What? You mean you can't just drag em around all day laying in the bottom of the boat on an 80 degree day-take them home and throw them on the lawn- clean em the next day....and not expect them to taste like filet of sole from the supermarket?

Higgy

• Battered and Fried
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:27 AM »
I wont argue milk and game meat, but if the filets you're eating require soaking in milk, then I know I wouldnt be eating them. try bleeding out your fish before filleting, and you will see a huge difference in the filet...fish should never have any odor whatsoever when properly handled fresh or for the freezer.....none....well.....your hands will.....Grump  ;D

I think fishiness or gaminess is all a matter of perception, and personal tastes. Some folks hate the intense fishy oily flavor, while others crave it. As a kid growing up on the coast of Maine, and father a lobsterman, we never "diluted" the taste of our fish with the exception of eels (yes, eels... very HUGE eels), which my mother would bake in the oven like a roast bathed  in milk. It actually made them quite good.

I'll have to try some buttermilk soaking my laker filets though. I'm really not fond of the taste on them.

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:44 AM »
What? You mean you can't just drag em around all day laying in the bottom of the boat on an 80 degree day-take them home and throw them on the lawn- clean em the next day....and not expect them to taste like filet of sole from the supermarket?

Kind of like those pictures of guys coming home from deer camp, with the deer across the hood.  That's good for the meat.

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:45 AM »
makes a big difference.  pulls alot of blood out. i use it on ducks geese and venison if its an older mature deer.  if you want i'll take all them breasts from you. ;D

Nah, we like jerky too.  But I would love to be able to cook the breasts another way.  Any suggestions?

esox slayer

« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:49 AM »
The milk is more like a maranade, nothing more than a liquid to mix the lemon juice and garlic in so the flavors will blend.  I don't use it to dilute any flavor from the fish, rather I use it as a "carrier to get the lemon and garlic flavor in.  I like to mix a few eggs in as well, that way after I've let them soak for an hour, they're all ready for the bread crumbs and the deep fryer.

On stronger tasting fish like catfish, I trim off all the lateral line before I soak them, so the strong taste is eliminated.....Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:09 AM »
When I lived in Florida, Milk was used quite often!
It would normally be used on fish like Shark, Bluefish, any Mackeral, Swordfish.... Mainly oily fish!
The milk has a way of absorbing some of the oil from the fillets I guess.
I tried Shark both soaked in milk and not soaked and the soaked one tasted much better!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.