FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Surprisingly Koontz...  (Read 1087 times)

LundProv

Surprisingly Koontz...
« on: Jul 18, 2021, 10:28 PM »
Studied early in the morning yesterday and did about 3 hours of yardwork so I could go to Koontz and fishing with my 94 yo friend.  He enjoys fishing Koontz and I enjoy just being outdoors and yaking with him.  I noticed a change in his body language as he approached the truck yesterday and it looked to be more than the result of having a hip replaced 2 months ago.  Loading the truck with his stuff, he was unusually quiet and once on the road, informed me his friend of 86 years - yes, 86 years passed the day before.  He met this friend when he was 8 and they went through life together including being in each other's weddings, fishing, fishing and fishing and both working and retiring from the USPS.   The one hour ride from Valpo to Koontz went by relatively quick as he lamented about losing another friend.  Memory after memory were discussed as we traveled down route 30.  Once at the lake, God bless him, he wrestled himself over the gunnel and into the Lund Rebel before I launched and then we were on our way.  We went to his usual starting spot - about 10' of water in what I think in the northwest corner of the main lake not too far from the chalet looking house.  We were dragging perch rigs tipped with bee moth or small pieces of worms and the action was very steady.  It was just a beautiful day with some wind, some sun, some clouds and a down pour that lasted just a few minutes.  The stream of speed/ski boats and pontoons, ranging from a Barletta to a 30 year old Bass buggy flew by with tubers in tow.  We hunkered down with the spot lock and got rocked and rolled.  Once in the while, the lake would calm down and we would be serenaded with either "Brandy, your a fine girl" or "Lola" or Neil Diamond music blaring from the pontoon boats.  The perch and gills did not seem to care.  We fished for about 3 hours and headed for the launch and home.  We caught several perch over 10" and several 8" but short of 9" gills.  One gill did  break 9" but was short of 10".  The ride home was just before dark with all four Suburban windows down.  You can't beat driving that way in the summer.  He shared more memories of his friend and how quick things have gone.  He also shared with how grateful he is to still have his wife and between the two of them, they are getting by pretty well.  So, get out there and have some fun.  Enjoy our resources and grab a friend before they're gone.  I have learned a great deal from this friend...

kesdadddy7597

Re: Surprisingly Koontz...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2021, 11:07 PM »
Love this post and quite frankly the detail you put in all your posts!  Thank you for sharing. I rarely find the time to get out, and I enjoy reading of your adventures!

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2021, 07:07 AM »
Good read and for me timely... My senior fishing buddy passed last spring.
We shared many, many good times

fish on,

rivereddy

Hexagenia51

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Your friend is lucky to have such a kind and caring guy like you to take him fishing! Should create some major karma! Nice story and fish report, glad you guys caught some fish. Hex

LundProv

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2021, 10:44 PM »
Hexagenia and other friends... I have truly learned a great deal from this friend.  He is 94 and I am 66.  We have been fishing together randomly for 20 years.  He taught me a fair amount about fishing but just watching his integrity as he has navigated through life has been an incredible blessing.  A few years back, we went out fishing in the morning and he asked me how long we were staying.  I asked when he needed to be home.  He told me by 1 so that he could get cleaned up as he and his wife had a very important social function later that evening.  He was going to be at the head table with "that girl".   What? That girl!  You mean Marlo Thomas?  Yep, head table with Marlo Thomas.  He informed me that he and his wife were signing over their assets upon death to St. Jude's Children's hospital to help kids once he is gone.  About one hour later, I may have crossed a border and asked him why he wouldn't give his assets to his kids.  He told me he has given his kids all he can his entire life with no hesitancy but once he was gone, he would prefer to extend what he had left to a cause that would take care of kids.  What a guy...  Also, in the past couple of years, he has struggled with the earth suit God gave him, simply wearing out, and needed a new hip and also having his prostate out.  He approached these procedures very matter of fact and never looked back.  With the recent passing of his friend of 86 years, he has shown me that grief has no boundary and can occur regardless of your season of life - regardless of your level of maturity. Sometimes, life just hurts...  He is incredibly devoted to his wife of umpteen years regardless of their physical limitations and situations. On the drive over Saturday, he informed me that he has just about lost his vision in one eye and during our fishing time, the sinker on the bottom of his perch rig came off.  He showed a little frustration for a moment and I remembered what he told me about his vision.  I simply re-rigged the line and I could since he was just a bit frustrated.  That was quickly forgotten with the next gill coming overboard.  I don't believe he is a member of any particular church but frequently volunteers at local church fish fries and will put in a day or so a week helping to maintain the church building.  I believe he is a follower of Christ but not necessarily a fan of man made religion.  No, my friends, this gentleman has been a real blessing to me and my family and I hope we have many more days together on the water before God tells either one of us He would like his breath back...

natahka72

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2021, 09:47 AM »
Susie and I hope your relationship with your fishing buddy lasts many more years!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2021, 08:02 AM »
"A TRUE friend is long sought, rarely found, and with difficulty kept!"
God keep you both in the palm of his hand until that special time when he calls!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.