FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fort Wayne St. Joe River Depths and Boating…  (Read 2015 times)

rainmaker

Fort Wayne St. Joe River Depths and Boating…
« on: Jul 15, 2023, 10:02 PM »
Just wondering if anyone can tell me the general depths and safety of boating on the St. Joe River. I own a home on the river not far from Shoaff Park and have seen many boats on the river, some even up on plane cruising by.

I’ve got a 16’ aluminum fishing boat and would love to get to know the river for fishing on my boat. Anyone have a good read on where it’s safe, shallow, areas to stay away from, etc? I asked a boater who passed by one day and he mentioned it’s pretty good between a certain boat ramp and an overpass, but I really don’t remember which ones he was referring to. I would primarily stay up north around my house. Eventually I’d like to add a dock off my back yard, but that’s for another day. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

kesdadddy7597

Re: Fort Wayne St. Joe River Depths and Boating…
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2023, 10:56 AM »
I have personally never boated the river, but I have been told the stretch from Shoaff park north to the Mayhew Rd bridge is pretty navigable and decent bass fishing.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2023, 11:18 AM »
Loved fishing the St Joe over the years.
Fished the dam in Constantine for walleyes and cats a few times.
Also, trolled a bit above the dam in my little 16' Mirrocraft - didn't get much up there but managed a few bass and some kitties.
Also trolled and float fished for steelhead in stretches from Berrien Springs all the way up to the lake in Benton Harbor.
Many times, when we couldn't get out on the lake, we trolled the river.
Did a little bank fishing too in the stretch from Niles to Buchanan - more kitties and bass.

My suggestion - Get a decent chart recorder and a Navionics chip.
That will give you enough to boat safely - relatively!!
You could also run things in record and plot your own stretches of the river to get things even more accurate.
Good luck.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2023, 03:04 PM »
Actually Mac he's referring to the St. Joe near Ft. Wayne Indiana. You are referring to the St. Joe in Michigan. Actually two different rivers. The St. Joseph River of Lake Michigan is an entirely separate river that rises in western Michigan, dips into Indiana, and flows west into Lake Michigan.

Water quality is different too. The Michigan St. Joe remains clearer and cooler with salmonid runs while the St. Joe in Indiana gets turbid a lot with farm runoff and can include algae blooms in summer.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2023, 03:33 PM »
👍

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2023, 07:11 PM »
👍

Just saw a recent picture of a river in Ft. Wayne Indiana (I think this one was the Maumee) and it's deep green with a massive algae bloom. The locals don't have a clue what that shows and how it can cause a fish kill if it gets intense enough. (In fish farming we worry about pond's fish if the algae bloom drops the clarity below 30 inches). And of course all of those run into Lake Erie and causes algae blooms there too.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2023, 08:38 PM »
Just saw a recent picture of a river in Ft. Wayne Indiana (I think this one was the Maumee) and it's deep green with a massive algae bloom. The locals don't have a clue what that shows and how it can cause a fish kill if it gets intense enough. (In fish farming we worry about pond's fish if the algae bloom drops the clarity below 30 inches). And of course all of those run into Lake Erie and causes algae blooms there too.

Yup - aeration helps but doesn't eliminate it.
You would know best of course.

Bassman19

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2023, 07:13 PM »
North of shoaff ramp you are safe up until the 469 bridge. Gets shallow under bridges, but can go up further once past mayhew bridge, but be careful. You are safe all the way down to the top of Johnny Appleseed Dam going down river. Deepest holes are down stream. Main river channel is 10ft. Channel catfish, crappie, smallmouth and largemouth bass, and northern pike. Wouldn’t call it world class fishing but they’re all in there, and giants of each species can be caught.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.