FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Surf fishing  (Read 3561 times)

Robb

• Upstate NY
Surf fishing
« on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:03 AM »
Looks like Ozzy and I are heading to New England for some surf casting and clam digging this weekend ;D. I've never surf casted before and would appreciate any advise people have. I don't care what kind of fish I catch anything would be fun!!

I have 2 heavy spinning rigs, what pound test should I use and should I use mono or braid?

Doing a little research I found that bigger sluggos and swim baits can work. Not sure about live or cut bait.

Thanks for any info.

Robb

OTIS

Re: Surf fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Bring some rod holders if you're using bait.  These can easily be made from a three foot long piece of 2" PVC pipe with one end cut at a sharp angle for driving into the sand.  I've been several times, but never had much luck.  Hope you get into them.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Niffken

• Tournament Plastic Baits Niffken.com
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2006, 10:06 AM »
My surf casting bag contains spro jigs in white or glow in the dark.  I vary it up with Mr twister trailer grub in black or white.  I have a few top water poppers and plugs.  I'll use a 007 diamond jig if the bonita/albi's are around.  If the blues are thick I'll toss a hopkins behind a teaser.  I pack light.  I use 20 lb floro on a bait caster.    I don't use bait but if I was going to I would use a fishfinder rig.
Some People are like slinkies... they are not really good for anything, but... they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

DonW

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Hey Robb,

I use 17 or 20 lb. mono, a hi-lo rig with 4/0 or 5/0 baitholders. Weights depending on current, but usually start with 4 oz. as far as bait goes, bunker, clams, and live eels. Hope this helps, also fish at night if all possible. Let me know how you make out.

Tight Lines,
DonW

Robb

• Upstate NY
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2006, 03:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!! I hope we catch something ;). I guess the clamming is pretty good and there's nothing better than beer and fresh steamed littlenecks!!!

Robb

HOOKEMNCOOKEM

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Robb

Make sure you bring something to put your stuff in when you're fishing especially if you're using bait!! The seagulls will rob you blind, they're a pain in the a$$. I bring a 5 gallon bucket WITH A TOP. I like to wade out as far as possible and the second you leave the beach the seagulls will take you're squid, clams and just about anything else. I don't know about the surf where you're going but down at the Jersey Shore it helps to cast out past the breakers. So I wade out and wing it over the top of the breakers then open the bail and free spool back in. Then you can put the pole in the holder and have your line out far enough. But I usually stay in the water about waist deep and hold the pole, that way you don't miss hits. In that short time it takes to wade out and cast the seagulls will raid your stuff and knock your bucket over to get at your bait. That's why you need the top. I've seen 'em take car keys, lures, etc..
I didn't come here to stay home.

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Setup all depends on what you guys are targeting. Last weekend I used my 7' Medium Heavy bass rod as my 2nd surf rod and did just fine with it on fluke and small blues. I prefer to fish 12-15lb test but I know guys that will go much heavier. I'm sure when I do hook into a 30+lb striper I'll wish I had the heavier line but until then I'll take my chances going light.

As for bait, clams will more often then not keep the bluefish from hitting and give you a better chance at stripers. Strips of squid are good for fluke, strips and chunks of bluefish are good for BIG fluke. Fresh peanut bunker/ mullet will usually give you a good shot at anything that swims.

The advice about making it out past the breakers is usually a good tip but not always the case. Thats one of the main reasons I prefer using 2 rods, so I can cast 1 inside of them and the other outside and see where the fish are on a given day. 1 of my favorite stretches of surf back in NJ almost always has the fish just inside the sandbar, while if you walk a few hundred yards down the beach its just the opposite.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Art 53

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Robb  what state are you going  and what part of the state it all makes a big difference I'm on the north shore of Ma maybe I can help

Robb

• Upstate NY
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Robb  what state are you going  and what part of the state it all makes a big difference I'm on the north shore of Ma maybe I can help

We are going to Westerly, Rhode Island. I am also bringing my 14' Starcraft to fish out of if it's not too rough in the bay.

Thanks for all the info everyone!! I'll bring the camera and post some pics.

Robb

arthur

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2006, 05:00 PM »
I'll be in eastern RI around July 4. I'll let ya'll know what's happening....

I'm pretty new to the surf, but as a bona fide tackleholic, I have a good selection of plugs, tins, jigs, etc. :P. Though I will fish bait from time to time...

Hoping for stripers and blues, plus some daytime porgie action, maybe something else too. I'll be fishing a variety of places oceanside I expect, but also in the tidal salt ponds.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2006, 10:56 PM »
Don't forget Rat-L-Traps.  Also, get some Gotcha plugs.  Twisters work well but get lead heads or bucktails heavy enough to get down.  It all depends upon how much surf there is, what the bottom/beach is like, and current.  If it's a sandy beach area, then casting out past the breakers works but don't forget the holes (or troughs) between the sand bars.  In NC for example, those are prime spots for red fish and sea trout, also blues and stripers will work bait through them too.  You can spot them by seeing rip currents heading out, usually the troughs are on either side a bit.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:28 AM »
I have had some very good success with about 20 pound mono, a sliding sinker rig with a 6 ounce (I think) sinker, with a 5/0 baitholder hook.

I have used sand eels, cut bait, and clams, and have had much better success with clams. Just thread one on a hook, throw it out, and wait.

A rod holder is a good idea, as even a 30" striper can send your gear into the ocean. Trust me, I've had it happen before....not fun.

arthur

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Don't forget Rat-L-Traps.

I recently picked up couple of big salt versions. How do you like to fish them? What kind of surf? etc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.