FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead mount  (Read 9559 times)

Dr. IceGeek

Steelhead mount
« on: Oct 15, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Here's a steelhead I recently completed in my basement.  It's my first attempt at one.  Mounted up this female in spawning colors.  It's a skin mount but I custom molded and cast a head for it as well as made molds for the fins.  Now that I've finally got everything set up in my new house I figure I can get back to mounting a few fish every now and again.  It's not the best mount, I know there are somme flaws but I think it's acceptable for the most part especially as it was my first attempt at one.  Anyways just thought you all might like to see it.
Thanks for looking
-Bob

Fish Farmer

Re: Steelhead mount
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Thats a nice looking skin mount. I think the colors came out fantastic!

sallyfontanally

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:22 PM »
So when are you gonna open for business????Your "amateur"mounts are nicer than some of the pro's in my neck of the woods...very nice,you should consider mounting for clients.

Gotta love them brookies!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:59 PM »
Sally...thanks for the kind words.  Really though my day job keeps me plenty busy.  It would certainly be nice to do a few on the side, but I'm afraid it might take the fun out of it. Who knows what the future holds though. 

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2007, 05:17 AM »
Great job Icegeek, skin mounts can be pretty tough, did you use a form or mache for the inside? Ive been thinking about doing a steelhead too, if I can catch one. I always have a problem getting a fish to fill out correct with mache. So I was wondering if I should give a form a shot.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:04 AM »
Pikemaster,
  I carved foam to make a form to fit.  I have never used the mache method so I cannot comment.  I also used clay in places over the form to fill it out to get a good fit.

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2007, 09:04 AM »
excellent work.  good first steelie
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:17 PM »
Pikemaster,
  I carved foam to make a form to fit.  I have never used the mache method so I cannot comment.  I also used clay in places over the form to fill it out to get a good fit.

thanks that helps alot, I have been thinking about trying the foam too. The mache is just a cheaper way than they clay

Fishing is life

MIRC!

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Icegeek,

Very nice. Pec fin base a little exaggerated but still darn nice expecially for your first one!  :clapping: :bowdown:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2007, 06:20 AM »
Thanks Taxidermist!,
   I did have a bit of trouble with that fin, but the important thing (I think) is that I learned something from it and hope to avoid it the next time.  I lost a couple of scales too, here and there, but overall, I took my time, looked at reference in terms of the painting and tried to do a good job.  I really appreciate your feedback.
Thanks again,
Bob

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2007, 11:07 PM »
Just remember you can only get better with that attitude. Just don't forget your taxidermy friends when you become world champion.  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

salmon-egg

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2007, 05:32 AM »
Nice looking first mount. Looks as good as the local taxidermy shops

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Not bad for a first try skin mount...i'd put it up on my wall.  How do you like syracuse so far?  I just moved to Liverpool from Auburn.  Shoot me a PM if you need a fishing buddy.  I love fishing for steel!   8)

trapper2003

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2007, 03:44 PM »
i live in oswego fish the steelies every day i can nise mount ever wanna fish oswego let me know!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:32 PM »
So far I like Syracuse...we are getting used to it. The job keeps me pretty busy, but overall I really like it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.