FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Open water trips  (Read 2262 times)

stguy

Open water trips
« on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Anyone planning a special trip this year?

I've got a friend with a house on Moosehead and planning on taking my boat up there for a couple of weeks, I hate to say it but I have never fished on Moosehead, ice or open water.

Also planning a long weekend on Champlain for a togue tournament.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Open water trips
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2020, 01:28 PM »
So far just a trip to Moosehead myself! Last year I fished it for the first time, dragged my boat up to Wilsons and rented a cabin. It was September if I recall correctly. We were basically winging it, no idea what we were doing and we caught fish each day on each outing. I usually have a group of us that get a remote primitive campsite for what we call our "ice out trip" on Richardson, but now we are all getting too old to do that. Plus it basically screws up a day on each side of the trip just setting up and breaking camp. So just two days ago I rented an AirBnB house on the Moose River in Rockland for mid June. This is later than we usually fish our first trip, but we have the gear to get deep if we need to and hopefully the lake is a little more stratified by that time. Place has a dock and a firepit, good parking for our rigs and a launch very close by. Perfect!

If you are there the middle of June maybe we could hook up and share some fish stories over a brewski or something.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2020, 01:57 PM »
I did an airbnb last year in Maine on a lake. All good experiences with Airbnb although the the day before we left the neighbor said,"Haven't you left yet?"  It was just the wife and I and we weren't even there much or I was out fishing. Caused no one any issues etc. Only unfriendly person I have ever met in Maine. At first I thought she was joking but then realized she wasn't.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stguy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2020, 06:32 PM »
So far just a trip to Moosehead myself! Last year I fished it for the first time, dragged my boat up to Wilsons and rented a cabin. It was September if I recall correctly. We were basically winging it, no idea what we were doing and we caught fish each day on each outing. I usually have a group of us that get a remote primitive campsite for what we call our "ice out trip" on Richardson, but now we are all getting too old to do that. Plus it basically screws up a day on each side of the trip just setting up and breaking camp. So just two days ago I rented an AirBnB house on the Moose River in Rockland for mid June. This is later than we usually fish our first trip, but we have the gear to get deep if we need to and hopefully the lake is a little more stratified by that time. Place has a dock and a firepit, good parking for our rigs and a launch very close by. Perfect!

If you are there the middle of June maybe we could hook up and share some fish stories over a brewski or something.

June is about all booked up for me, I'm planning on going up the last week of August.

Stop by Sebago if you have time.

RRobert

• cast, mend, drift, hope, step, repeat.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2020, 08:46 AM »
. I usually have a group of us that get a remote primitive campsite for what we call our "ice out trip" on Richardson, but now we are all getting too old to do that. Plus it basically screws up a day on each side of the trip just setting up and breaking camp.

There are a few places on the South Arm Rd. that are Air BNB available this year.. just a FYI.
Every rod has a story, and some of them are true.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2020, 09:55 AM »
. I usually have a group of us that get a remote primitive campsite for what we call our "ice out trip" on Richardson, but now we are all getting too old to do that. Plus it basically screws up a day on each side of the trip just setting up and breaking camp.

There are a few places on the South Arm Rd. that are Air BNB available this year.. just a FYI.

Oooh, interesting! Because there are basically none on the lake itself. I would love to find a house rental right on Richardson but it doesn't look like it exists.

RRobert

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2020, 11:50 AM »

RRobert

Steve H.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2020, 12:11 PM »
I plan to explore the Androscoggin River from Turner to Durham.  Have heard good things about the bass and pike fishing in those areas.  The Androscoggin Riverlands State Park looks pretty amazing, at least on Google Maps.
Been fishing the Belgrades for years now and I'd like to try something different.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Belgrades and eastern Maine for browns
Western Maine for brookies

Other than that close to home for muskie, salmon, trout, togue, whitefish, bass, perch, and chub.
# SAND

Alex D. Large

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2020, 06:26 PM »
I'm thinking about Gardner and Black Ponds Mid-late May.

porkpiehat

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Now that I am out of work with the virus and all, I was actually thinking of making a trip to get some late season ice fishing in on Moosehead, which I've never done. On the way home I'll stop at sebago for trolling...it's mostly open.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.