FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Day So Far This Season  (Read 1128 times)

bogtrotter

Best Day So Far This Season
« on: May 16, 2020, 08:35 PM »
This morning, I took a drive along Route 9 to Cummington, where the Swift enters the East Branch of the Westfield.

Beautiful day, sunny, blue skies, temps ranged from 55 (when I started around 10 AM) to 65 (when I finished there a couple hours later).

I caught a 9" brookie at the mouth of the Swift, and then headed upstream on the East Branch, where I caught a 10" rainbow just past the next bridge.

Next I turned around and headed downstream and caught four nice dark brookies (one 8", two 9" and one 12").

Then back to my car and headed east on Route 9 to Dalton, where I fished the East Housatonic.

Somewhat suprisingly, there was no action directly below the Depot Street dam, where I usually do fairly well, but I did find a nice pocket of water further downstream just below an outfall pipe (the last one before the next dam) where I managed to land four hefty rainbows (one 13", one 14", one 15" and one 16) that put up a helluva fight, leaping in acrobatic arabesques.

I drove further downstream and tried below the Housatonic Street dam, but without success, so I headed home around 2 PM, by which time it was 70 degrees.

After a brief stop to freshen up, I took my younger son fishing at a pond along Route 2 in Williamstown, where we caught a few sun fish and he reeled in a small bass. 

I also saw a slightly older kid, who was there with his girlfriend, catch a bigger (14" or 15"?) bass. 

We also saw surprising numbers of large snapping turtles, both in Williamstown and at another pond we stopped at in North Adams (where we made a few casts but didn't hook anything).

This evening, I had a cookout (steak, potato, salad, home-made sauerkraut, and a Lagunitas Little Sumpin' ale), then my wife and I started a carbuoy of dandelion wine fermenting with dandelion blossoms that my two oldest kids picked yesterday.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to fish the South Hoosic, and hope this nice weather will improve my chances on my home waters, where my performance has been relatively lack luster so far this season.  Fingers crossed!

lowaccord66

Re: Best Day So Far This Season
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Nice Jim. 

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Today, I fished from 12:30 PM to 5:30 PM.

Partly sunny, 65 degrees.  Water levels were good - - down quite a bit from earlier in the season.

I began with the West Housatonic in Pittsfield.

I started by the Greendale St. bridge, where I quickly tied into, and landed, a ice 14" rainbow.

I waded downstream to where the river doglegs to the left back to the road, but didn't catch anything more other than some small dace and a decent-sized (10") sucker.

Then I headed back to my car and drove to Barker Road, where I parked at the bridge and waded downstream to what has been my "honey hole" so far this season. 

But even though the last time I was there (less than a week ago) it was holding four good-sized rainbows, today there was nothing there but some dace.  Ditto when I tried further downstream by the Clapp Park trestle.

Back to my car, and headed to Cheshire, where I fished the South Hoosic.

I parked in Cheshire Center, and waded downstream.  I caught an 8" and a 9" brookie on the upper end of the Jungle, but nothing after that for the next half mile or so.

I back tracked to my car and drove to Cheshire Harbor, where a father and his two young (8 to 10 y.o.) sons were fishing above the dam.  Small browns were rising, so I gave it a try and was able to reel in a 9" brown and lost a slightly larger one.

I also made a few casts below the dam, but nothing doing, so I walked back to my car and headed for home.

My older son and daughter had gone hiking earlier in the afternoon.  I had commissioned them to find some ramps, and they returned with mission accomplished.

So I was able to try my first ramp omelet for dinner, paired with a home-made dandelion/peach/pear wine for dinner.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Sounds like an excellent weekend!

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Nice work Jim.  Sounds like a productive weekend.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 08:20 PM »
sounds like a hell of a day. well done :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.