FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A last minute cancellation . . .  (Read 1055 times)

bogtrotter

A last minute cancellation . . .
« on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:02 PM »
of a meeting I had scheduled for this evening, and a few leftover nightcrawlers from this past weekend, allowed me to get out for an hour after supper tonight.

I fished the South Hoosic from the Old Stone Mill to a little below Elm Rock in Adams.

The weather wasn't bad - - partly sunny to overcast, with occasional sprinkles, and temps around 73 degrees - - but (in contrast to the stream conditions this past weekend) the water was high, fast and chocolate colored from all the rain we had earlier this afternoon.

I managed to catch a 12" rainbow (and lost another) in a relatively quiet "swirl" beneath the roll dam a little above Elm Rock, but didn't have any action either up or downstream from there.

lowaccord66

Re: A last minute cancellation . . .
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Way to get out.  I looked at a house in Kent then spent an hour on the Housatonic. One bow and one small mouth.  Ripped back to my home river and nailed a couple more including a fat rainbow of about 17"

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Way to make the best of the evening Jon and Jim.  Jon, I was in your neck of the woods for some dry fly fishing behind the movie theater wall thing.  I only ended up with a small bow but there were TONs of fish rising.  Started with streamers without luck.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2019, 09:52 AM »
Pat those are mostly sulphurs.  When I cant get them to eat a dry Ill use a pair of hares ear nymphs.  My fish were on a tungstun caddis nymph.  I was 15 miles or so downstream fishing an iso hatch.

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2019, 10:03 AM »
There were a handful of iso's hatching up there.  However, they seemed to be hitting sulphur emergers which I really don't have in my box.  I snatched a few out of the air and the wing colors were all a very pale yellow/tan while the body color differed.  I grabbed a couple with a bright green body and then some with a more orange or red body but both had almost identical wings.  They were all mayflies but I'm not good enough with bugs to say if both were sulphurs.  I believe the redish ones are but not sure on the green body ones.  The only fish I landed was on a green body with white wings and a white tail.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2019, 07:17 AM »
If they were popping explosively it was likely the iso's they were eating.  Apparently they jet up to the surface when they hatch.  Funny thing is they look lightly colored but im told they are much darker looking to the trout.  You may also be seeing Attenuata hatching. They are a small bright greenish/yellow almost chartreuse Mayfly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.