FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: garmin or lowrance  (Read 2516 times)

bikrsrule

garmin or lowrance
« on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Well, open water will be here before we know it and I want to upgrade my fishfinder on my freshwater trolling boat, I have a lowrance with gps now but looking at the new color fishfinders, garmin or lowrance..you opinions would be appreciated..

TheCrittaC

Re: garmin or lowrance
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2020, 08:50 AM »
I like my Striker 4. The only thing I don't like about it is that if you go into a view before it syncs with GPS, the speed doesn't show up until you exit and re-enter the view. It's not a very big deal for me, but it may be for others. I don't have a comparable Lowrance product to compare it to.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2020, 02:30 PM »
I’ve got a low range hds-7 gen 2 on our boat. I don’t think I’m going to pull the trigger to replace it quite yet, but when I do it will be with a Garmin product. Panoptix and Live Scope are amazing tech.

bikrsrule

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2020, 03:04 PM »
I was thinking about the new lowrance color but I read quite a few bad reviews and I like what I read about the garmin..not quite ready to pull the trigger though, thanks for the input..

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2020, 09:45 AM »
If it were me I would definitely get a Garmin. A Panoptix compatible unit even if you don't get it until later.

bikrsrule

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2020, 03:54 PM »
Hey Jethro, what is panoptix?

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Hey Jethro, what is panoptix?

Fair warning, once you watch this your head may explode. This is also why I’m going Garmin next time.

This is also there live scope product:

I honestly have not dug too much into these systems because I won’t be upgrading until next fall/spring at the earliest. The tech is just crazy on these units.

jibbs

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2020, 10:40 AM »
the rave at the bassmaster classic was the new garmin with live scope...I heard it is awesome and it played a big part in hank cherry's win...im in the business of new electronics as well but I can only afford the lowrance elite but I think im waiting one more year...good luck
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

bikrsrule

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2020, 04:56 PM »
It will be a bit before I pull the trigger on a new fishfinder but as of right now I am leaning towards the Garmin, not the panoptix though..way too high tech for me.

skinnywater

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2020, 10:21 AM »
I have a couple of the newer Lowrance in the last 2 years.  I use autopilot on my pontoon, creating your own maps  solid units etc..  I don't care about panoptics or live scope, so for my needs and priorities the lowrance were the best units for me.
greenshack on shanty

bikrsrule

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2020, 01:13 PM »
I just got back from bass pro and the sale on lowrance swayed me, I got the hook 7" for the same price I would have paid for the hook 5" and not that I think I will use it, the 7 comes with side scan...reports on how it works will be coming soon..

Johnnh

« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2020, 04:53 AM »
I have a striker 5 plus ice package.
I am considering buying another transducer so I can use the unit on my kayak. I am going to put the unit on a rail mount and put power in the front compartment.
Has anyone else done this and does it perform well.

Note: the unit worked well on the ice this year and improved my catch rate when jigging.
Thanks,
John

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2020, 07:56 AM »
I have a couple of the newer Lowrance in the last 2 years.  I use autopilot on my pontoon, creating your own maps  solid units etc..  I don't care about panoptics or live scope, so for my needs and priorities the lowrance were the best units for me.

What autopilot do you have that you are using with Lowrance? A Motorguide? I just bought a Minn Kota Ulterra to give me autopilot with a Humminbird head unit.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2020, 08:01 AM »
I've been looking at upgrading the sonar on my Nitro... Will probably end up going with a Garmin unit that is panoptix compatible, leaving the options open for the future.

bikrsrule

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2020, 03:07 PM »
I watched a video about that panoptix..unbelievable ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.