FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: open water versus ice fishing  (Read 3393 times)

bikrsrule

open water versus ice fishing
« on: Apr 05, 2020, 10:32 AM »
I find it very strange that most all the same people are on both the ice shanty and MMF yet there are hardly any posts here on MMF but on ice shanty there were daily additions..Any comments?

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Re: open water versus ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2020, 11:16 AM »
During the winter I don't have a lot to do other than work and fish so when I'm not doing one of those things I've got spare time to surf the interwebs... Now that spring is coming there's a bunch of stuff to do around the yard and garden, warmer temps means its enjoyable to be outside and it's staying light later every day so I'm just not around the pc as much as winters. I've been fishing by shore and boat for a couple weeks now but no noteworthy reports. Getting ready to take the hound for a jog along a small river down the street, gonna be a muddy one today.

Roccus

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2020, 02:00 PM »
During the winter I don't have a lot to do other than work and fish so when I'm not doing one of those things I've got spare time to surf the interwebs... Now that spring is coming there's a bunch of stuff to do around the yard and garden, warmer temps means its enjoyable to be outside and it's staying light later every day so I'm just not around the pc as much as winters. I've been fishing by shore and boat for a couple weeks now but no noteworthy reports. Getting ready to take the hound for a jog along a small river down the street, gonna be a muddy one today.
This
.also, I'm primarily a salt water fisherman, it's still early for that, I may go for sea run whites next weekend... I brewed a batch of oatmeal stout this morning... it's in the fermenter and  in the hands of the beer gods now.

bikrsrule

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2020, 02:03 PM »
I have been out quite a few times trolling but without much success until Thursday (which I posted) and yesterday on winnie, 1 nice salmon on Thursday and between 2 of us, 3 salmon yesterday 2@19 and a fat 20. All on joe smelt on the surface..I usually get on line early mornings before fishing or work....Tight lines

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2020, 02:10 PM »
I agree there is more going on I the summer for most folks, and what everyone has mentioned.

Another reason there are not as many posts is no one is asking about safe ice. The water tends to be wet most of the year other then the very beginning of the season.

That being said the activity seems to be up for this state board the last few years, and I’m not complaining.

bikrsrule

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Good point zwiggles, since the ice is gone at winnie, just go and float..

winnicookie

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Has ice out been declared?

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2020, 02:49 PM »
I’ve often found it odd how little gets posted on the soft water side vs ice. Either way, my states (Maine) forum here seems to have more posts than even the general discussion board at times.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

brownbagger247

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2020, 03:43 PM »
I find it very strange that most all the same people are on both the ice shanty and MMF yet there are hardly any posts here on MMF but on ice shanty there were daily additions..Any comments?

Almost mentioned that on IS when AA mentioned this site... the last two years have been complete ghosts, a whole season makes up a page of threads.

Personally I have shifted to fishing mostly in the winter due to my job. I got out yesterday first day on the boat just testing it out, trolled for about hour that is it, tried up high with flies trolling plate down low and slow nada.

Personally there are plenty of fair weather fishermen, but there is something about the ice that weeds them out...   :tipup: haha they even have a tipup on MFF

steve01987

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2020, 04:26 PM »
Maybe people will start posting more on here. Just landed a nice largemouth this weekend.

Also, was on the fishing AP fishbrain, and saw a post of a guy caught a walleye at moore reservoir. I know its been discussed heavily on IS but perhaps there is in fact a small population of them in there.

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2020, 05:51 PM »
I may go for sea run whites next weekend...

I was thinking the same.  Not sure if the Squamscott or Taylor.  Been a while but I could go for some fresh perch right now.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

PDubs/NH

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2020, 08:58 PM »
One evening and one full day on Winni trolling metal. Pretty tough but picking up a few salmon to 4lbs and a few cookie cutter Rainbows. Lake is still beautiful and it beats sitting home and worrying about every sneeze or my 401k.

-PDubs
-BPFC

bikrsrule

« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:33 AM »
Hey pdubs, I trolled on winnie twice now and only picked up fish on joe smelt, tried some metal with no luck (Mooselooks, little cleo and kastmaster) I was not using lead or downrigger, just on top..The salmon I did catch were nice, fat and healthy..

jibbs

« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2020, 05:17 AM »
I have been out 5 times and nothing to write home about ..a few decent smallies and largies all on wigglewarts and jerkbaits..still waiting for my honey hole to open up from the ice ..stay safe everyone
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Johnnh

« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2020, 05:51 AM »
Fished a local lake yesterday in my kayak.
Varied water temp averaged 42 degrees, wind was only about 5 mph and broken clouds
Jigged up a few smallies in 20 to 35 fow
Largest was just over 2 lbs = nice fight
Most productive lure= 1/2  oz Slver Buddy (silver color)

I saw a guy pick up a fatso rainbow trolling flys

Stay safe everyone

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.