FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leeches  (Read 1827 times)

MILLERMANKT

Leeches
« on: Mar 14, 2020, 11:21 PM »
Does anyone on here use leeches for Lake Erie walleye ? Or any other fish ? You don't hear much chatter about leeches anymore. I'm thinking about trying to trap some , good ole' You Tube. Thanks for any advice.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
Re: Leeches
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2020, 06:47 AM »
Not Lake Erie but usually use them once or twice a year. Most of the time it is just to see if the leeches are working any better than what I am already using. Most times they aren't producing that much better, plus they cost more. On a BIG plus, they don't leave a mess in the boat....h2l

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2020, 06:52 AM »
I use them for cat fishing in the Catt.
Mostly because they are tougher for the smaller fish to strip off.
I will get an occasional walleye there in the creek with them.
The smallies like them too.
Like h2l said, they cost more than crawlers for out on Erie.  But if you’re catching your own, go for it.

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:51 PM »
Does anyone on here use leeches for Lake Erie walleye ? Or any other fish ? You don't hear much chatter about leeches anymore. I'm thinking about trying to trap some , good ole' You Tube. Thanks for any advice.

Let us know how you make out trapping them.
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

skinny40

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 06:59 AM »
I use leaches all the time. I love them on the worm harnesses.  I do think worms get more strikes but when a perch or rock bass hits the worm you need to wind it in and change the bait. I've cought several fish on the same leach. So if there were only walleye in the water I'd use worms. If there are a ton of bait thrives I'd prefer leaches. If I miss a strike I just leave it cause I know the bait is still there so I spend less time checking and re setting lines. Catfish love them.

catfisher

• Born to fish
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 09:39 AM »
If you order leeches on line how long will they stay alive ? Do you feed them anything ?

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 09:44 AM »
I have kept leeches alive all summer. Kept in an old refrige, changed the water every 2/3 days and once in awhile tossed in a fresh chicken liver. Use to order 12 doz. at a time...h2l

gotagetm

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 09:50 AM »
we used to trap them with chicken liver in a tied burlap sack throw in our pond and they would get through fiber and feed on liver ,havent used them in years though

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 09:58 AM »
I use to fish leeches a lot when I Lindy Rigged all the time. Now that I jig fish most of the time, the worms work just as well and are cheaper. I still will get 1 o 2 doz. to use if the jig/worm bite is off....h2l

bogtrotter

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 02:03 PM »
I've never used leeches as bait, but on occasion (generally when I've just used the last of my nightcrawlers) I've used slugs (as a last resort when my efforts to forage for worms have been unsuccessful), and they've worked surprisingly well for trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.