FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Nice wiper  (Read 1800 times)

Jig_Head

Nice wiper
« on: Aug 09, 2023, 07:19 PM »
Got 2 nice wipers today at a public indiana lake. A 5 pounder and a 4lber. Here's a pic of the 5

BBLoon

Re: Nice wiper
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2023, 08:49 PM »
Very nice. Congrats!!

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2023, 09:11 PM »
Sweet. Was wondering how you can tell a wiper from a striped bass.

Jig_Head

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2023, 09:49 AM »
Sweet. Was wondering how you can tell a wiper from a striped bass.
The hybrid striper/wiper will have broken up lines and be wider from stomach to back. A striper is longer, not as wide, and has all straight lines. Not broken. They're fairly easy to tell apart. It's a big white bass vs a smaller average size wiper that's hard to tell apart. Whites and hybrids are both wider and whites can have some broken lines too. Im sure someone else can add info but I believe you can look at the tongue. I think white bass have one sandpaper like patch of "teeth" on the tongue and wipers have 2 patches/rows?

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2023, 02:41 PM »
Nice Wipers. I've not had much experience catching them. Only a few but they really put up a fight. Hit hard, run fast and don't tire. Short story about my first wiper was many years ago in the Wabash river. The Dnr had just started a stocking program in some of the reservoirs and one of those was the Roush then called Huntington. No one even knew much about them not many were even caught in the Reservoir. White bass runs up the Wabash in the spring very common and alot of nice size ones caught.  I caught what i believed was the state record White bass. This thing was Hugh. Five or six lbs, alot like the ones in your photos. Took it to our local bait shop to get it verified and weighed. Even the old timer that owned the shop believed it was a state record. I left the fish with him and a state biologist came the next day and to both our surprise it was a wiper that was released in resi four or five years earlier. To this day i claim to have held the record for one day. He told me an easy way to tell the difference was wipers have a dark patch on the tonge and whites don't.

Jig_Head

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2023, 11:02 AM »
Oh yeah there's no quit in these fish. They just don't tire out. That's a good story, thanks for sharing. I could definitely understand the confusion, especially if it's a spot they're not common in

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.