FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!  (Read 8126 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2021, 04:54 PM »
And....this has to do with???????

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:05 PM »
agreed! I feed my family at least once a week on catch too.

id bet its a change made from a small group of no harvesters types that are just yelling the loudest so they think that's majority thinking.

this is what it has to do with  trophy bluegills.. :rotflol:  we  want big  trophy sized  dinners!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:07 PM »
Only one way to counteract that. Speak up!
Rg

we tried that and the threads disappeared

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:22 PM »
Please read this recent article. Minnesota & Wisconsin are light years ahead of most states when it comes to panfish research & management. They’re the ones that started the big panfish initiative.
https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/managing-for-big-bluegills/382986

trapper2000

« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:34 PM »
remember the old saying be careful  what you wish for ..... who wants to spent a  day  letting  good panfish go to catch a  few big ones????how many  bluegills  do you want on your  wall??? we chase  gaint trout pike walleye bass salmon .... i  just want to have  fun with my grand  kids and  catch dinner. you remember  being a  kid? you caught a  fish you were  so happy you took it home  fish dinner that night  and you  where  hooked  you did the  same thing with your kids and maybe  grand  kids  but ..... when those  kids  fish all day and  don't catch a keeper no worries   the antis have   videos games and humanist propaganda  waiting for  them .....  yup  where  talking  "panfish"  not trophy tarpon  were talking  te  fish kids  catch and  bring home ....don't matter it's a done  deal now ......sorry  dads ...might as well take the  kids  bowling for  family day  guess

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Except for a few select lakes you can come home with 25 bluegills, any size. I think 25 gills is more than enough for anybody to take home in a day. How about 25 walleyes or 25 bass, you up for that Trap? You answered so fast that it’s obvious you never even took a glance at the article.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #36 on: Feb 28, 2021, 04:06 AM »
we tried that and the threads disappeared
Discussion is one thing. Argument is another.

That’s a very in depth article. A lot of insight there.

New York has 7600 +/- freshwater lakes. I see regulation changes for 14. That leaves 7,586 lakes to take a kid fishing under the existing regulations. Not to mention the thousands of ponds, rivers, creeks and the canal system. So, don’t try to tell me there’s no place to fill a bucket with 50 fish if you want to.

I know I could....if I wanted to.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2021, 04:33 AM »
Well the Dec has a plan.... https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/122166.html

Wish my state of Indiana would get with the program. Still no limit on bluegill even though every time we have rule change proposals it comes up and lots of anglers want it. We have people that come through and remove every last bluegill off the beds and then give them away because they are too lazy to clean them. All about bragging rights.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:08 PM »
Well...we can agree on that  anyway.,there’s always  common ground between fishermen.

Rg

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:14 PM »
Please read this recent article. Minnesota & Wisconsin are light years ahead of most states when it comes to panfish research & management. They’re the ones that started the big panfish initiative.
https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/managing-for-big-bluegills/382986

Another article on the same management concept:
http://bigbluegill.ning.com/
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Here’s an interesting read  regarding response to their survey.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/sunfishanglersurveytb.pdf

I find it interesting that they sent the survey to their 147,000 subscribers and that only 1400 answered. If I’m reading it correctly, that’s a pretty apathetic reaponse.

Rg

That's much worse than normal for surveys which is usually not good.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2021, 03:01 PM »
Nope. The complainers outnumber the responders by a majority.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2021, 03:06 PM »
i agree with you on bed fishing taxid.  cant get behind a limit though.  they are just too plentiful to need that. imo  i think the bed fishing does way more harm than fishing the rest of the year does.  i see them while bassin in spring.  run and gun around the lake then load up and run to another lake to rape it too.

not a big worry if its not a state wide regulation though either.  id be up for a couple of our lakes to be regulated for trophies.  several lakes already give up 10"ers regularly.

Fair enough but it's not just beds. There are other times of year where bluegills can be vulnerable to large harvests. At the risk of repeating myself there is a part of Clear Lake east of Freemont where the the big bluegills stack up like cordwood some falls. I was aware of that and would take home a little less than I want to clean. One year there was a guy anchored there every time I showed up. We got to talking and he bragged bout harvesting a couple thousand over a period of a few weeks. Said he didn't like cleaning and eating them, but gave them to the neighbors. I do remember he drove all the way over from Mishawaka. They were really easy to catch when they were in the hole. One after another on crickets. I was with two others and we got 70 in short amount of time. All 9 to 10.5 inches.

I also know a guy that is really good at catching suspended bluegills on a flyrod and sinking line. He bragged about catching 1800 bluegills in one summer from little Sacrider Lake (35 acres) near Kendallville. He's a Larry Edwards protege. I believe him. Larry could mark suspended bluegills back off and anchor and haul them in one after another. Now without needing an anchor thanks to lock on trolling motors it should be even easier.

The think is Im not saying you can wipe them out. But when you're freezing your butt off on the ice and it would be nice if there were a few more swimming around. I fish states where they are considered trash fish and you would not believe the numbers and sizes!

taxid

« Reply #43 on: Mar 05, 2021, 03:09 PM »
Nope. The complainers outnumber the responders by a majority.

Rg

But do the complainers respond to the survey? Or am I misunderstanding?

filetandrelease

« Reply #44 on: Mar 05, 2021, 04:14 PM »
But do the complainers respond to the survey? Or am I misunderstanding?
I for 1 responded but as NY goes most times its a done deal , I have a friend that’s in the know , it’s down state that carries the weight , my opinion I’m sticking to it , so when it goes into law , I’ll just pass on some of those places, but the local economies will lose revenue, I’m only speaking about places I have fish on and off for 40 years

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.