FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!  (Read 8165 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2021, 04:45 PM »
Honest response as always.

We will see what the results of the changes are.....if we live long enough.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

FrankM

« Reply #46 on: Mar 09, 2021, 09:17 AM »
When do they intend to implement the new regulations?
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #47 on: Mar 09, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Go to the first post and click on the link.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Beenperchin315

« Reply #48 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:44 PM »
Comments on the draft plan should be submitted via e-mail to [email protected]   before february 15 2021

Draft Plan Highlights

Reducing the sunfish statewide daily harvest limit from 50 to 25 fish.
Increasing the crappie statewide minimum size limit from 9 to 10 inches.
Establishing the Big Panfish Initiative, which includes:
Implementing an 8-inch minimum size limit and a daily harvest limit of 15 for sunfish in the following waters: Blydenburgh Lake (DEC Region 1), Lake Welch (Region 3), Canadarago Lake and Goodyear Lake (Region 4), Saratoga Lake (Region 5), Sixtown Pond and Red Lake (Region 6), Cazenovia Lake and Otisco Lake (Region 7), Honeoye Lake (Region 8), and Silver Lake (Region 9)
Implementing a 12-inch minimum size limit and a daily harvest limit of 10 for crappie in the following waters: Blydenburgh Lake (DEC Region 1), Muscoot Reservoir (Region 3), Saratoga Lake (Region 5), Delta Lake (Region 6), Cazenovia Lake and Otisco Lake (Region 7), Waneta/Lamoka lakes and Honeoye Lake (Region 8), and Bear Lake (Region 9)

I would love for these BIOLOGISTS to go and fish Sodus bay for a min of 5 yrs and 7 yr max for perch and find out how a bigger population moves builds and reacts to the insane fishing that small area gets hit with.
My history on this area and would suspect applies to most fisheries is it goes in cycles. 2&3 yrs ago were phenomenal for the ice season on size and numbers. Last year and this year were about the same on numbers lower on size. 4 yrs ago was lower on numbers much better on size. Fish go in cycle as a result of the fishing but I don’t see anything disappearing there. Just on and off fishing years. Some places do need mild management to rebuild a depleted population. But small size is not a depleted population problem. Most of the time it’s an over population problem. The state will make the issue worse before someone comes in and makes it better.

Beenperchin315

« Reply #49 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:48 PM »
But do the complainers respond to the survey? Or am I misunderstanding?
I’ve responded told them to go fish and see for themselves instead of sitting behind a desk and tasking a college student to go take notes on people’s catches.

Tight lines
Perchin

taxid

« Reply #50 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:33 AM »
we have plenty of 10"+ gills swimming in our lakes(IN). (and gasp NO limits :o lmao) gills past 9" imo arent worth eating.  if all you want is trophies build yourself a pond.  my buddy says "those that want others limited must not be able to cant catch their own" .  ;D  fish are resources for all to enjoy.  not anyone elses fault if you dont partake in it.  fish are one of the most reliable renewable resources there is!  not sorry if feeding my family offends you.  really couldnt care less these days.

Now Tim I'm a little confused here. You won't reveal your fishing spots 'cause spot burners will come and fish them out but there are plenty of bluegills out there?

You can't have it both ways.  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #51 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:33 AM »
I’m trying to figure out why you Indiana guys are so worried about proposed limits in NY ???

Rg

taxid

« Reply #52 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:36 AM »
I’m trying to figure out why you Indiana guys are so worried about proposed limits in NY ???

Rg

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #53 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:47 AM »
Just an observation ;)

Rg

FrankM

« Reply #54 on: Mar 12, 2021, 01:38 PM »
I'm willing to wait a few years and see if this idea works. Apparently they have had a lot of success in Minnesota with this concept.
I really enjoy fishing for pannies in Honeoye and Lamoka both.  If we could routinely catch 12" calicos in both places that would be great.  A 10 fish limit doesn't bother me either.
I typically like to keep 10-15 bluegills and calicos total in combination per outing.
The fact that they are doing this in a few select Lakes is a good test to see if it really works.
If I need to catch 9" calicos I can always hit Chautauqua.
I'm willing to give them a chance and see if it "pans" out.
I plan to fish at least another 30 years before I kick the bucket so this experiment might yield me 25 years of improved quality fishing.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #55 on: Mar 12, 2021, 02:41 PM »
“Pans out”.....ha!
That’s funny👍👍

Rg

PeterCos

« Reply #56 on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:57 AM »
Curious about lake selection for the rules. Is it based on these lakes being particularly vulnerable or random testing? I fish Saratoga for Crappie and have stated I would be OK with 10 inch and 10 fish restrictions but 12 in on that lake would really reduce the catch rate to almost no fun at all.

mcarey97

« Reply #57 on: Mar 23, 2021, 05:38 PM »
Giants are already here

bbfrogger

« Reply #58 on: Mar 23, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Giants are already here

Thats the biggest hand I've ever seen !!!   :D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #59 on: Mar 24, 2021, 06:48 AM »
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
That’s a good one!
Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.