FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!  (Read 8140 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Are giant panfish coming to a lake near you!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2021, 03:53 PM »
You’d have needed to be subscribed to receive those notices. They ask for input, but they don’t get it until after the fact.

Everyone gets up in arms but not till it affects them. You have to participate to contribute.

That said, I really don’t care what they do with the limits. I’ll abide by them and have no need for piles of fish in my freezer. It may be different for some others, but nothing will change unless you all get on board and voice your opinions IN ADVANCE!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2021, 04:17 PM »
Well said

mcully

« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:02 AM »
Public comment period goes until 2/15 so your voice can be still be heard in advance of a final decision. I'll also abide but took the time to formally comment.
I also took the time to subscribe to the DEC Delivers site.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:40 PM »
Well done!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

DANMAN

« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:51 PM »
Here’s an interesting read  regarding response to their survey.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/sunfishanglersurveytb.pdf

I find it interesting that they sent the survey to their 147,000 subscribers and that only 1400 answered. If I’m reading it correctly, that’s a pretty apathetic reaponse.

Rg

Yar.     

Why propose reg changes based on  a sample of 1400 individuals ?       

i  sent  my response today

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:25 PM »
Ya know...that’s my point. Whatever your opinion....speak up!

Rg

PeterCos

« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:42 AM »
I fish Saratoga for Crappie and would be OK with 10 in minimum and 15 limit. A 12 in minimum and 10 fish limit is a little too restrictive I believe.

filetandrelease

« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:01 AM »

Well I have voiced an opinion, but most times, when the state ask for input it’s a done deal just another stroking is all ,

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2021, 04:58 PM »
Not sure I agree with  your assessment, but kudos to you for being heard.

Too many fishers complain after the fact.

Rg

filetandrelease

« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:19 PM »
 Well over the years when the state made a proposal always seemed like it was passed into the fish regs , wish I could remember a time that opinions carried any real weight
 I was at the federation meeting when they proposed making 50 perch the limit on Oneida the answer I got was they felt if I got my fifty and left it would increase the chances of others catching theirs because the fish would swim over so they could catch theirs 🙄,wish it was that simple ,  now if it had been a lack of fry or forage base I wouldn’t have said a word ,
  Not that I mind the 50 , cleaning 15 perch is plenty , 3 eyes and 12 big perch works for me ,I respect others opinions
 This is just how I’ve seen things unfold over the last , 45+ years ,

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:56 AM »
That’s a pretty poor answer you received. It would make me skeptical as well. I can’t remember the last time I took a limit of anything. It’s just my Bride and I and she’s not fond of fish. She’ll have a few pieces of perch if I deep fry them, but that’s about it. So, a couple dozen perch or gills last me a long time.

I know a few folks who have no regard for limits at all. One pair routinely puts several limits per day in the freezer when a good bite is on. New regs wouldn’t stop them for a minute. Like all rules, regulations and laws, it’s only the honest people who follow them.

I’m kind of surprised we haven’t heard the old “ it’s just a way for the DEC to write more tickets” line. That usually pops up in threads like this. Guess that’s more IShanty style.

Rg

filetandrelease

« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:49 AM »

You know RG your right that is usually one of the first things you hear about the tickets LOL, limits are only there for the law abiding
   My better half doesn’t eat fish anymore she takes a med that for some reason makes fish smell and taste bad

SeanP

• Formally known as SPN
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:10 PM »
I very seldom keep a limit.....enough for a meal or two.  As far as the sizes, seems like taking the large breeders is contrary to what DEC has told us for years.  Not sure if it will have the impact desired but we will have to wait and see!!

SeanP

mcully

« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2021, 01:02 PM »
I drive by a lake that not many eat fish out of, Onondaga, and I don't recall seeing masses of catch and release trophy pan fisherman hitting it. Lots of bass guys as it does have a good population of bass but after fishing several years of bass tourneys its not much better if at all than other surrounding bodies of water. Advertise these hidden trophy panfish gems (if they actually are) or use them as labs to see if the theories hold water. Everyplace has a pond or lake nobody keeps fish from due to pollution.
I do keep some limits and distribute a ton of fillets to guys that don't fish but enjoy eating them. I will abide by the regs when they come out.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2021, 07:30 AM »
you'll get alot more meat out of  50  7 1/2 inch gills then you  will 15  8 inchers ..duhhhhh 

if you can  catch huge  sufish n the  sprng and winter yu an in the summer you just need to  change  tactics
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.