FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: lake erie  (Read 6169 times)

jakekebo

lake erie
« on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:10 PM »
can anyone tell me if the ice is off the lake yet  ???Id like to get the boat out soon.  ;D and were would you find perch this time of year? thanks for any info! ;) and please don,t respond in the water about the perch >:(

threeten

• I fish,therefore,I lie!
Re: lake erie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2010, 04:28 PM »
just got off the phone with the hooker and he said there`s still a big chunk of ice out over the camp perry area. with the southwest wind predicted should blow outta there. marinas are a bit iffy,looks like it`ll be a go for the weekend. we target eyes this time of year. i hear around marblehead is a good perch spot when they get going. we`re gonna hit the reefs sat.if we get the boat goin, the river should be heated up by the weekend too! ;D ;D    never got to hit erie ice this year and i need a walleye fix. if it doesn`t show.let us know if ya get out and how ya did!

yogi

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 10:04 PM »
We are going to head up Wed.  We usually go to Catawba but have heard the ice is kind of iffy there.  I live in Fort Wayne so dont get up to the date reports.  I cant get a hold of the bait store that we usually go to.  I am taking my 17 foot boat.  I teach and have tomorrow off.  Wanting to head up dont look like this weekend will be good.  If anybody gets this can they let me know.  Wasnt going to come up there until Wed afternoon.  What boat launches people are getting out from.  Thanks Yogi

td31

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2010, 05:16 AM »
 limits bein caught two miles straight off the state park ramp. find some green water and you"ll get em. cleos and other flutter spoons loaded up with shiners been doin the trick. good luck fellas and be careful.

yogi

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Got the boat and we are leaving in the morning. Anybody know any other bait stores besides rickards. Tried to call them and no answer. When you said state launch you did mean catawba right. Thanks for the help and info! Really appreciate it!

jakekebo

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2010, 04:44 PM »
thanks for the info. let us know how you did yogi I'm just 20min. west of the  Fort Wayne good luck and be careful. you should be in to the eyes pretty good. We are going to try to make it up sat.we normally do pretty good on the eyes though if we hit into them good a would like to try for some perch or something after we limit out of course  ;D ;D ;D ;D !

yogi

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Fellow Fisherman I did get out today with my fishing partner.  The ice moved on us so we did launch out of Catawba.  You could go about 6 to 8 miles due west out of the ramp before you got into the ice flow and bergs.  We started fishing northwest torward green island. We were out anywhere between 3.1 and 4 miles according to the GPS and had two fish real early.  The first was 6.5 and the other 7 both females. One came on a spoon that we use ice fishing.  It is made by sweedish pimples but they look like a cleo.  The color was chrome and a flashy blue.  We caught those in 27 foot of water.  A hard bounch off the bottom and let it go down slow was the ticket.  Fish were just on the line when you went to jerk back up.  We missed two other fish that we had on.  We then headed farther out torward the islands.  Found clear water but very few fish.  No bites around the islands.  We then headed torward the portage river but got blocked by ice.  I am not brave when it comes to ice.  We then went back torward green and caught 3 more about 3:00 in 25 fow.  One 2.1 pound male One 3.7 pound male and a 4.4 pound male.  All came on that sweedish pimple spoon that looks like a cleo.  The blue and chrome took 2 and orange and chrome took the other.  We than moved in and to the east from the launch torward marblehead.  We have 6 fish on in this spot and only landed one.  We fished this spot from 330 to 500.  The bites all were from 345 to 415.  The waves picked up and the current was strong.  The current changed directions and the fish moved and shut off.  The bites came on the same spoons as above and a true orange and silver pimple.  We were in 22 fow.  We did catch our biggest fish in this spot.  It was a 9.8 pound female.  We fished and all day.  We put a lot of miles on the boat to catch the fish that we caught.  I didnt see many fish caught and didnt hear many fish caught.  We should have had our limit but it took a lot!!  Really didnt mark tons of fish.  The fish that we marked were scattered.  This is just my report.  I am just trying to help people.  Water temp was anywhere between 33 and 36.  Water was getting muddier when we left at 530.  Good luck to all and be safe.  Will hit again next week.  I have to go back to teaching tomorrow.  Was sick today!!  Had walleye fever!!!! Yogi

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2010, 11:06 PM »
yogi-

your talkin about the do jigger! awsome spoon. i get my salomon on em here in indiana on our big lake. im goin to see what i can do about down gradeing and tryin to get perch on em i have a technique out here that just kills the 14'' perch.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

yogi

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2010, 11:20 PM »
It is a do jigger!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!! Now I can order more! I love it.  We did awesome on it ice fishing walleyes the past couple of years! Good spoon!  Yogi

threeten

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2010, 07:14 AM »
we tried....but mother wind put a damper on it. left the state park to head to green isl.,but the boat we were in wasn`t enough boat.we could`ve made it,but we`d a been wet. there killin` over there.alot of guys tried but most came back like we did.saw two guys take off, hit the first rough area in the wind,stood the boat up on the transom and almost over.they were changing their shorts at the ramp when we finally called it and came back in!! tried the railroad bridge in the bay to salvage our trip,but couldn`t find any takers? got my first 'skunk' of `10 outta the way though.   wind,women&walleyes......can just give ya fits?

td31

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2010, 05:10 AM »
This wind and rain is exactly what we dont need. And its exactly what the spawning fish dont need.

threeten

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2010, 04:36 PM »
i agree with you td31,hoping they can get a good hatch this year.i`m sure the limit`ll get slashed if we get another poor year.seems to me it`s been real muddy in the spring the last couple of years.that can`t be good.not sure what ideal conditions are though?

yogi

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Any up to date reports from Erie.  We are going back up there tomorrow.  I am sure the fish have moved with all the wind.  Anybody fish today.  What colors?  I will post tomorrow.  Yogi

yogi

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2010, 09:06 PM »
We did go to Lake Erie today and we should have stayed in Fort Wayne.  The water was very muddy.  We marked very few fish and was all over.  We were from Green to Kellys to Bass islands.  We couldnt find clean water anywhere.  We didnt have a bite but we still had fun.  Rickards bait store is a class act place to get your bait.  Will do buisness with them every time I go to Erie!

threeten

« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2010, 06:12 AM »
went out of wild wings yesterday, water has cleared real nice. had a issue with the boat and got a late start,7:30.caught a few right away,then it slowed.just started to pick a few again,then it happened.40 mph winds - not gradually increasing-turned the ride in into an adventure. we finished with eight nice eyes for the pan. should really be good if the weather holds up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.