FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: big gills on unusual gear  (Read 7882 times)

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
big gills on unusual gear
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:35 PM »
last weekend i went fishing in several ponds slightly larger than an average farmpond. i decided to stay away from the typical stuff i would use and go for several freshly bought tiny crankbaits from various companies.
i started out with a yo-zuri snap bean and caught several smaller fish, then i switched to the rebel crickhopper.
i am extremely impressed, in an hour, i caught at least 45 fish anywhere from7" to 8 1/2" with two beasts that were 9 1/2" long and a least 1" thick, and all that was pure muscle, no eggs. this is definately something you guys should look into, these 'gills attack with such ferocity that i thought the first one was a bass! ;D

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: big gills on unusual gear
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Next, remove the rear treble hook and put 6'' of light line with a wet fly on the end.  I use itty bitty rapalas for this.

The crankbait grabs their attention and they just cant say no to the fly. As a rule, the bigger gills will grab the fly and not the crank bait! :o

slipperybob

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Tiny spoons like kastmasters and tiny inline spinners like BlueFox strobes.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:19 AM »
I have been using rebel crickhoppers for years, as well as there bumblebugs, great gill cranks. Im going to try the fly idea, as I also spend alot of time fly fishing for gills, so why not combine the two deadly methods.

slipperybob

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2010, 04:26 AM »
To add a Storm Hopper Popper and Scatback lures.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

SassyBassy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2010, 08:27 AM »
use a swedish pimple in the same spot i bet youll do better than 45

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2011, 06:48 AM »
how about a decent 10" gill on a medium shiner a few weeks ago on one of my tipups! 1st one ever on a tipup! ??? ;D
    A Country Boy can Survive!

dmntd169

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2011, 07:16 AM »
how about a decent 10" gill on a medium shiner a few weeks ago on one of my tipups! 1st one ever on a tipup! ??? ;D

a lake I fish in the Poconos guys regularly get bull gills on their tip-ups set for perch

I've taken 8-9" gills on jointed bomber long a's casting for walleyes...sometimes it amazes you the size of baits they are willing to hit
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Cobra

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Catch many very nice 'gills while trolling and looking for Crappies. Larger 'gills near me act more like a Crappie, post spawn(s) and until first ice, open water and suspended. Mini Flatfish, Rapala types and in-line spinners do a number on them and spend many trips focused solely on them this way. Dragging mini planer boards around get most locals scratching their head, they don't know what their missing
AKA - Swift on IS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.