FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Whitefish  (Read 5132 times)

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
Whitefish
« on: May 18, 2004, 09:15 PM »
Well the whitefish are running!  Chena slough has a good population starting to peak!  Gotta go catch some, and post up when done.  Anyone out there fish for them besides myself?  -Barleydog

broomballboy

Re: Whitefish
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 12:03 PM »
I have never gotten the little suckers to bite.  I intend to spear a few later in the year for burbot bait though. 

So, how do you fish for them anyway?

-Andy

Barleydog

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 01:24 PM »
Tiny Swedish pimples, small egg patterns, and the mighty beadhead fly!  Rain yesterday screwed up the river, now it looks like Saturday.  Hope they are still there!

DIRTBALL2

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2004, 08:58 AM »
barleydog,You should get yourself an old refridgerator and make your own smoker for those whitefish. Smoked whitefish is my own personal favorite way to eat fish. It's really easy to do and would also be fun for your boy's. What can I compare the taste to? FOOD FOR THE GOD'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Barleydog

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2004, 02:26 PM »
DB2  Can't find an old unit, however I do use a big chief smoker.  I would love to convert an old ice box into a smoker for moose and such, so that the flavors from the fish smoker don't effect the red meated critters.  Any ideas?

DIRTBALL2

« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2004, 07:00 AM »
barleydog, Making a smoker out of an old refridgerator is easy. You could try checking with an appliance dealer in your area to find one. Many of them offer to haul away old appliances when you buy a new one from them. I know that Sears does this. The first thing you need to do is remove ALL the old parts(handle,etc) that keep the door shut. Then remove everything from the inside that is plastic. If the racks are made of wire be sure you save them. If the racks are coated with something(rubber,plastic) you will either have to remove the coating(Bernz-O-Matic torch) or get different racks altogether that are made of wire. Probably could find them at your local landfill. Which is another place to check for an old fridge. Then take your drill and drill holes that correspond on both sides of your fridge. Go to your local hardware store and buy several S-hooks. Install them in the corresponding holes you drilled on the inside of your fridge. Then hang your wire racks from the S-hooks. You can expirement with this so you can figure out how to get the max number of racks installed. Next you will want to cut a hole to the outside of your fridge about the size of a baseball. This will act as a vent should you want to regulate the inside temperature. Attach the lid from any tin can with a self tapping screw to control the vent. I also like to remove the motor and refridgeration unit from the fridge before using it. For heating the wood chips I just hardwired an old single burner hot plate to set my can of chips on. You could even use an old popcorn popper. Soak the chips you are going to use in water for 10-12 hours before smoking. They last longer and produce more smoke that way. For fish, use fruitwoods. apple, cherry, etc For red meats, use hardwoods. Maple, hickory, etc I always liked to plug in my heater and pre-heat the smoker for about an hour before I put anything in it to smoke. You can time how long it should be in there more accurately that way. Hope I've given you some idea on how to get started. If you have any questions don't hesitate to drop me a line. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Barleydog

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2004, 12:32 PM »
Thanks DB2,  Very detailed discriptions.  Did some teriyaki moose sausage on the big chief smoker this weekend.  Pretty good stuff, at least for an rookie.  Ill keep my eyes open for an old fridge.

KP_Alaska

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2004, 06:05 PM »
broomballboy,
Check your regs, I believe spearing is covered under sportfishing and last I knew sport caught fish could not be used for bait.

Barleydog

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2004, 12:21 PM »
KP!  What's the word on the fishing?  Have you been out this year or still working hard?

KP_Alaska

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2004, 04:32 PM »
BD,
Should be trolling Birch this weekend, blue and white Smokercraft. Went out two weeks ago, got to the middle of the lake and the water pump quit. At least I had a friend along to row! Was on call last weekend when you were there. Where you headed this weekend?

Barleydog

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2004, 04:57 PM »
KP,  Heading out to Harding tonite...  If the thunderstorms keep clear of the area, it should be good.  We did manage a beautiful fish out of Birch that was around 4 1/2 lbs.  Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.