FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappies On The Fly  (Read 9715 times)

Gamma Fish

Re: Crappies On The Fly
« Reply #75 on: Jun 11, 2010, 03:36 AM »
They're pretty tough Trapper. full 5 year warranty on the whole rig. The pontoons have air bladders with a coated, sewn outer shell. Why not a jon boat......It looks cool! :-\

Seriously though, they're made more for river fishing and for an old fart like me, I'd think they're easier to get on and off of that getting in and out of a yak. Seems like a more natural sitting position. I was also thinking that the option for using an electric motor (on ponds) as well as having oars rather than a paddle (rowing with 2 arms at a time) might be easier.

I'm gonna try a kayak this weekend. There's a place on the canal about a mile from here that rents them.

This is the other toon I was looking at.

Anyone out there use one of these things?

RG
Yeah.......but in my living room as a rocking chair ! ;D ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #76 on: Jun 11, 2010, 05:04 AM »
Rg,
Drifter016 has posted pics of him in one. MAN, I'm a loser for knowing that lmao.
It doesn't matter if it works or not. They're cool as heck no matter how you look at it.
'Ya can't take the cash wit 'ya. Buy it!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

1fish@atime

« Reply #77 on: Jun 11, 2010, 05:21 AM »
Your second photo looks more like the one my friend bought. I still can't remember the name of it, they advertise on the outdoor channel all the time. Whole thing stores in a bag the will fit in a trunk. They have the curved pontoons, which in small waves does bob it some. Side to side they are rock solid, just bob front to back in the waves. The thing had a 3' x 4' floor that folded, it strapped to the "toons" and a pedestal seat was snapped in. Those look like they may not be as bad because you sit closer to the water.  I'm going to check out the outdoor channel on line to see if I can find an ad for them.  I liked it, the seat swiveled  so a trolling motor would be easy to use.
http://www.theflyhatch.com/xq/ASP.detail0/SID.PAAAIACBHECBJFCI/dept.BP/prodInfo.htm
I still can't find it but I will. This is like it, just wan't as fancy.(a lot less expensive too).

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #78 on: Jun 11, 2010, 06:21 AM »
i would  love to try one out!!!  RG  buy one  and  we'll  swap  kayak  for  pontoon   when we fish!  :rotflol: 

i knew  a  guy that took a  gaint  strofoam block  and taped a  folding chair on it and  used that  when he was a kid ....not mentioning any names in here :whistling:

have the fun is the search really ...... 

gamma  for the amount of time you spend sitting around  you  should invest in a new  rocking chair ...get out and fish!!!!!

now sunny day   little wind ....bluegills  are  going to pay today   ciao
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bcons

« Reply #79 on: Jun 11, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Some of those inflatables have got to be pretty tough, saw half a dozen this spring on the Salmon river chasing chrome.  Even saw one 3 man, with 3 big guys at the Altmar bridge headed down, granted through Ellis isn't the hardest part of the river, but water levels were low. If I remember the day the 3 man was out there it was only around 500.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #80 on: Jun 11, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Trapper and RG
Both of you do nice jobs on the flies.
Spiders are neat.
RG some steelie material there huh???

Where are the natural based patterns & colors????

I bet a some beaded nyphs would work nice.
Internet heros give it a rest!

flyman1002

« Reply #81 on: Jun 11, 2010, 11:45 AM »
They're pretty tough Trapper. full 5 year warranty on the whole rig. The pontoons have air bladders with a coated, sewn outer shell. Why not a jon boat......It looks cool! :-\

Seriously though, they're made more for river fishing and for an old fart like me, I'd think they're easier to get on and off of that getting in and out of a yak. Seems like a more natural sitting position. I was also thinking that the option for using an electric motor (on ponds) as well as having oars rather than a paddle (rowing with 2 arms at a time) might be easier.

I'm gonna try a kayak this weekend. There's a place on the canal about a mile from here that rents them.

This is the other toon I was looking at.

Anyone out there use one of these things?

RG

RG,

I do have a couple that I have used a great deal not as much in the last couple years.   i left mine inflated all summer in the garage....would just toss it on top of the SUV and go.  Great for all uses, small ponds, rivers, even had a buddy who used it alot on the ocean for stripers in the bay(on the right day).   1st one I bought I only spent a couple hundred on and got very poor quality.  I would recommend spending the money for a decent one.  The hardware and how they are built makes a huge difference.  I learned the hard way.  The only downfall is any kind of breeze and I mean the slightest breeze and it is tough to fish.  They are so light and draft so little water that you get blown around real bad.   The other thing is trolling motors don't work that well.  They go like a bandit but the battery buts a lot of weight in the back end.  Makes it hard to fish because you feel like your almost laying back.  Nice for a joy ride but not great for fishing.  Other then that I love mine.  Another tip if you do get one take a little air out of each pontoon when you store it....temperature change will change the pressure in your tubes enough you could blow a tube. Also always bring your pump.  you may think the tubes are rock hard when you leave the house but once it hits cold water they go soft.   Hope that helps in your decision.  I will have to check who made the one I really like but it was a model for trout unlimited about 5-6 years ago. 

flyman

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #82 on: Jun 11, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Flyman,
Thanks a ton for the first hand tips. Especially about inflating and deflating.

I'm a very fussy buyer. I like stuff that's basic and good quality. Most times the bells and whistles that manufacturers come up with are after thoughts.

I was wondering how they would ride with a battery in the back. You confirmed my suspicions.

I'll let everyone know what I end up with. I'm still gonna try a kayak this weekend. Trapper can't be too far wrong.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #83 on: Jun 11, 2010, 06:44 PM »
kayaks  are great for  muskrat snagging and  carp  rides!!!! 

this afternoon  i  did  20  real decent  gills  all on top  all on spiders and  paddle  bugs  (  foam gurgler pattern)   2  bass  (not real big )  ...great  day on the water  and  very relaxing  ....only motor i heard  was someone  with a  ultralight plane   having fun ..... 
 perfect weather  ...decent fishing ... i'm so happy i'm considering buying my women a new  fillet  knife  :rotflol: :rotflol: ok the fillet knife  is  BS ......  she can use the old one

trapper2000

« Reply #84 on: Jun 13, 2010, 10:08 AM »
i'm  taking my time  getting ready  and sipping a  extra coffee today  .....  taking waders  with me  and  a rope  so i  can get out and wade a bit  with kayak in tow .....  few  streames   clousers  and a  hoist of  top water  stuff  .....  well see  what we can do  today 

1fish@atime

« Reply #85 on: Jun 13, 2010, 05:11 PM »
The muskrat on a fly rod is classic Trap. My god the video would be worth a fortune!!
Bet he was ornery when you got to him......

trapper2000

« Reply #86 on: Jun 13, 2010, 07:32 PM »
i actually  got  him in and  unwraped  from the line , thank  goodness the  hook wasn'y buried in him , i'm happy to report the muskrat is  fine   and healthy ....it  will  go  down as  a experance , i was with a  friend that  had  a young mink  grab a rapala   years ago... he didn'y get hooked  but it was   funny to see  a mink   go for it ..... 

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #87 on: Jun 16, 2010, 01:18 AM »
i actually  got  him in and  unwraped  from the line , thank  goodness the  hook wasn'y buried in him , i'm happy to report the muskrat is  fine   and healthy ....it  will  go  down as  a experance , i was with a  friend that  had  a young mink  grab a rapala   years ago... he didn'y get hooked  but it was   funny to see  a mink   go for it ..... 

Did ya manage to grab a tuft of fur from that varmint before ya released him Trap... I know them hairs are good for tying fly jigs!!! ;D

trapper2000

« Reply #88 on: Jun 16, 2010, 08:47 PM »
i hear tell the  make great dubbing  for a nymph  fm   :rotflol: :rotflol:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.