FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bait Shops Map  (Read 125081 times)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
Re: Bait Shops Map
« Reply #75 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Since you already have a business, if you have space to add on a bait area, you're well more than halfway there. Seems like the investment in tanks and refrigeration for the bait is small compared to the investment in a commercial location, which you already have.

My thought exactly. I do have plenty of extra room also.

fishman

« Reply #76 on: Apr 13, 2011, 07:37 PM »
My thought exactly. I do have plenty of extra room also.

well if you do, just tell me and i'll add you're side business to the map
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #77 on: Apr 16, 2011, 12:31 AM »
Are "they" making it as hard on the bait shop as "they" are on the bait users . . .  ?
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Gamma Fish

« Reply #78 on: Apr 16, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Are "they" making it as hard on the bait shop as "they" are on the bait users . . .  ?
If "They" are the DEC, the answer is NO !   The VHS related bait regulations/guidlines for bait shops are cut and dried !      Pretty simple to follow and abide by !

The "Hard" part for the bait shops is learning how to maintain and keep your bait healthy and lively !    The learning curve can be lengthy and expensive if they don't follow strict maintainence routines and utilize the proper chemicals/additives and information that are made available to help bait keep alive and disease free.

A bait shop is what you make it !     Live bait sales have, and always will be the most consistent source of revenew for the small independent shops.   It keeps the doors swinging !   Building your customer base and knowing what they want and when they want it takes time !     A long time !
  If you have half a million in back up capital,  you can sell whatever you want (not for long though ::)) and not worry too much about the "Average Fishermen/women" who will be your "Regular" customers and live bait/terminal tackle purchasers !    Specialty shops are great but internet competition is stiff !   You can't compete with the internet as a small independent shop !    Personal customer service is king as an independent shop owner !

Location is everything !   If you don't have a prime location, you'd better be doing or offering something "very special" on a regular basis to get customers to drive the extra miles to get to your shop !

Everything about owning/operation a bait tackle shop can be hard if you start out blind and expect anything other than poverty level income right off the bat !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

What isn't hard is complying with DEC bait regulations as a shop owner.  ;)
  ( I don't approve of the VHS regulations still being in place)
Plastics are Fantastic !

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #79 on: Apr 21, 2011, 12:01 AM »
If "They" are the DEC, the answer is NO !   The VHS related bait regulations/guidlines for bait shops are cut and dried !      Pretty simple to follow and abide by !

The "Hard" part for the bait shops is learning how to maintain and keep your bait healthy and lively !    The learning curve can be lengthy and expensive if they don't follow strict maintainence routines and utilize the proper chemicals/additives and information that are made available to help bait keep alive and disease free.

A bait shop is what you make it !     Live bait sales have, and always will be the most consistent source of revenew for the small independent shops.   It keeps the doors swinging !   Building your customer base and knowing what they want and when they want it takes time !     A long time !
  If you have half a million in back up capital,  you can sell whatever you want (not for long though ::)) and not worry too much about the "Average Fishermen/women" who will be your "Regular" customers and live bait/terminal tackle purchasers !    Specialty shops are great but internet competition is stiff !   You can't compete with the internet as a small independent shop !    Personal customer service is king as an independent shop owner !

Location is everything !   If you don't have a prime location, you'd better be doing or offering something "very special" on a regular basis to get customers to drive the extra miles to get to your shop !

Everything about owning/operation a bait tackle shop can be hard if you start out blind and expect anything other than poverty level income right off the bat !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

What isn't hard is complying with DEC bait regulations as a shop owner.  ;)
  ( I don't approve of the VHS regulations still being in place)
I agree with most..if not everything ya wrote Gamma, most important once again is customer service....and being there for them. I believe a keen ear and general knowledge goes a long way also. With any busines...location...location...location, is very important.

redarrow61

« Reply #80 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:58 AM »
D&D Sporting Goods
154 Main Street
New York Mills , NY 13417
315-736-6009

redarrow61

« Reply #81 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Up North Baits
6015 Rogers Road
Woodgate, NY
315-580-2927
315-725-3607

nathangreen

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2011, 06:35 AM »
thanks for the info

Doorbreaker

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Bass Pro allowed?

1579 Clark Street Road
Auburn, NY 13022
Phone: 315-258-2700

fishman

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2011, 06:12 PM »
huh, i had made this to help people find other bait shops but i don't see a reason not to, i've never been there for bait, what do they carry?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

Doorbreaker

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2011, 01:59 PM »

last time I was out there they had live bait tanks in the back of the store. But that was a year ago.

I know that after the fire at Gander Mountain in New Hartford they stopped selling live bait, only salted, frozen and some worms there now.

oldhuts

« Reply #86 on: Jul 23, 2011, 05:56 AM »
            great idea,,,,everyone should put theres up;;;

orleans county new york

JEDDO BAIT AND TACKLE
          TOM AND MARIAH
          10282 RIDGE RD,MEDINA NY..
          585-318-4310   YEAR ROUND,,
          1 MILE EAST OF COUNTY LINE RD IN JEDDO ,,,SOUTH SIDE OF ROAD,,,,EAST OF CHURCH,,

fishman

« Reply #87 on: Jul 24, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Thank you, i haven't forgotten about this  ;D

In fact, I have recently just created this site for the map, http://baitshopsnys.weebly.com/ tell me what you think please

oswegatchieEd

« Reply #88 on: Jul 29, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Cranberry Lodge on RT3 in Cranberry Lake now has bait.

bluegillchaser

« Reply #89 on: Jul 31, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Honeoye Lake Bait and Tackle
4864 county rd 37
honeoye ny 14471
(585)229 2266
www.honeoyelkbait-tackle.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.