FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Interesting site for GPS users  (Read 3267 times)

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
Interesting site for GPS users
« on: Sep 30, 2004, 07:36 PM »
I just was informed about this site for GPS users,http://www.geocaching.com/.It is a site for socalled treasure hunters using GPS systems to find hidden treasures in every state in the country.The wife and I are going to try it this weekend.Has anyone else tried doing this?
Bubba

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
Re: Interesting site for GPS users
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2004, 02:48 AM »
good luck!!!hope you find some hidden treasures!!
Scotty 

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2004, 04:18 AM »
very, very, innnnteresting.  ;)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2004, 05:46 AM »
Yea see how much you love this stuff when the landowner at one place you decides its "cool" and puts one of these caches 20 yards from your treestand which sits in the best place of funnels on the land....  ::)

I know don't like it don't hunt there.....I have my own land that I own this place is just a great spot to hunt....was a great spot to hunt.

Nothing like seeing a family of 8 come walking in the woods at 7:30 am whith a nice buck that WAS approaching.

"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2004, 06:24 AM »
Smelt1,
Sounds like a lot of fun and a great family activity in the outdoors. I used to participate in Orienteering races. My kids loved it.  This idea is a bit more high tech than map and compass but the same idea.

We'd be handed a map and without a route had to navigate  to a finish point with lunch and a bunch of friends.  We all got to run around in the woods for the day.

When I was just a kid, my dad (a serious CB radio enthusiast) and I did "rabbit chases" with his radio club. One member would go out and "hide" and the rest would have to find him from his radio signal. Memories of roaming around with dad in our Rambler station wagon triangulating signals are still with me.

Sorry Jon, everyone has a right to enjoy the outdoors as they wish.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

FishHawk

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2004, 08:10 PM »
Smelt,  my family and I have been Geocaching for about 6 months now.  When we travel for anything we usually stop to find a few caches along the way.  The kids ages, 20, 17 and 12 really enjoy it.  They really enjoy the ones that take a little detective work and problem solving skills to find. I usually don't like to give up the time from fishing but it keeps the kids and wife happy to spend an hour caching.  Additionally, I occasionally go out with just one of the kids for some one-on-one quality time.  We really enjoy that.  We get great exercise and have some great talks.  The kids love it when they find the cache before I do, especially the youngest.  As an added bonus it has motivated us to visit some real pretty and interesting areas that we might not of otherwise,  Its amazing how many great trails and parks there are that we have gone by dozen of times without ever enjoying them. 

So in a nutshell,  its a great family or individual activity and there are some people who are almost as fanatic about caching as I am about fishing. 

Let me know how you enjoy it.

Dan

(aka 4walls on geocache.com)
Fishing, what else is there to say?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.