FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: White Bass/Silver Bass/White Perch in WNY?  (Read 6372 times)

icemanphil

• Fishing is Life....The Rest is Just Details
White Bass/Silver Bass/White Perch in WNY?
« on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:28 PM »
Whatever happened to the White/Silver Bass and White Perch fishing that used to be common everywhere in WNY?  I recall catching them everywhere from Foot of Ferry to the Lower Niagara to Lake Erie, Wilson, Olcott, Dunkirk, etc.  Since I wasted much of the last number of years chasing the Bass Tournament dream, I am just starting to get back into panfishing and I would like to take my son out to show him some action on these fish I used to catch when I was a kid.  I'm just not hearing or reading anything about them anymore....

Are they still around?  Care to share a spot or two where we can catch some?

Thanks,

Phil
Native Watercraft Pro Staff
Sportsmen's Direct Pro Staff

monkeyman2269

Re: White Bass/Silver Bass/White Perch in WNY?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:46 PM »
We get some in longpond while Bullhead fishing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2012, 04:18 PM »
You can target Silver bass and White perch in most NY waters. I-Bay has a prolific population of each. Not sure what a "white bass" is.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2012, 06:08 PM »

if your ever up to Oneida white bass and white perch are out of control and they are in great shape and size ,

RG white bass are often called silver bass

OneBucketMike

• OneBucketMike
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2012, 06:16 PM »
You can target Silver bass and White perch in most NY waters. I-Bay has a prolific population of each. Not sure what a "white bass" is.

RG

Shame on you RG, White perch and white bass are both called silver bass (not sure whether EyeDoc likes them if they are called bass??). White Perch has one dark vertical stripe and White Bass has several. But of course you knew that and were just joshin us...
Based on ice fishing two winters ago, they seem to be making a comeback in the ponds mentioned-don't let Irwin hear that though!!  Good luck Phil.   Cya..
One Bucket Mike

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2012, 06:24 PM »
This could be a fun thread :evil:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2012, 02:26 AM »

if your ever up to Oneida white bass and white perch are out of control and they are in great shape and size ,

RG white bass are often called silver bass

I've heard through the grapevine that FM caught one of the biggest whities known in the CNY region through the ice, on a turtle mission two winters ago.???  ::) ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2012, 04:38 AM »

thats a fact, it was a brute for sure now i wish you could catch more than 1 cause they are taking over in Oneida , what ever you do don't put a spinner and worm on the east end of the lake   ::)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2012, 04:43 AM »

thats a fact, it was a brute for sure now i wish you could catch more than 1 cause they are taking over in Oneida , what ever you do don't put a spinner and worm on the east end of the lake   ::)

Everyone should put a spinner and worm on the east end in that "bowl"  I'm sure it would help to rid of those desirable fish. :P

Prchmike

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2012, 06:19 AM »
There is still a good run of white perch in the upper niagara. They are getting some at the locks right now but it will get much better. In a few weeks if you try anchoring a couple of places out in front of hertel ave. you will fill buckets. The silver bass will also start going nuts at the power authority fishing platform in the lower river soon too. They are around just not really targeted.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

icemanphil

• Fishing is Life....The Rest is Just Details
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2012, 06:28 AM »
Thanks all for the info!  Sounds like they are still around, just not being mentioned too much....

I/we will be on the lookout for them.

Thanks,

Phil
Native Watercraft Pro Staff
Sportsmen's Direct Pro Staff

devo

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2012, 07:10 AM »
Irondequoit Bay is loaded with 'em.

pole-ska

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:12 AM »
I have caught them numerous times at Chautauqua.  On the ice and off the boat. Same spot every time. (Maple Springs)

Munson

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:20 AM »
Not WNY but I recently heard rumors that there was going to be a big money white perch tournament on Oneida Lake this year.
  Anyone hear anything similar ?
 Based on the DEC's suggestions to remove from the lake, every white perch you catch, this could be a good start !

devo

« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Based on the DEC's suggestions to remove from the lake, every white perch you catch, this could be a good start !

Hook and line fishermen could never put a dent in the whitey population. It's Mother Nature at work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.