FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout for bait  (Read 3738 times)

suskymusky

Trout for bait
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 10:17 AM »
Anybody out there use trout for bait?The tiger musky in the local lakes go nuts when the Fish Commission stocks trout.Its a feeding frenzy!I've seen some huge ones nailing trout as they are reeled in, but they're out of season at that time.When the Musky come back in season in May, the trout are gone and the Musky are tightlipped.Any tips on rigging them?
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
Re: Trout for bait
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:30 PM »
In New York State it is illegal to use any gamefish for bait. But, My grandfather who guided for 58 years in the 1000 Islands was known to rig a 12 to 15 inch walleye for the big ones. He used the balloon method you see the Florida bass fishermen use on TV. But he started using it 50 years ago. I on occassion rig a similar size sucker chub the same way, but with a quick strike hook set as not to damage the fish.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

jyoung

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2004, 08:34 AM »
In Jersey You can use trout as bait as long as you purchase them from a hatchery and you must carry your receipt and the receipt has to be dated for the date you are using the bait, So what I'm saying is that if you don't use them that day you can let them go or just eat them when you get home.

They work very good but even with a quick strike rig you usually don't hook them, They will hold onto the trout and you better have your net handy because when they get to the surface they will open thier mouth and let go of the trout and swim away.
It amazing that they will just hold on like that.
Good hunting, Jeff 8)
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:38 AM »
     Musky do feed heavily on trout at certain times of the year (spring stockings).  I have not had good luck with them for bait though.  I think that like you said above, once the season comes back in the trout are gone.  Usually moved up streams or to deeper, colder water or fished out/eaten.  Using them for bait at this time does not work well because the musky are no longer feeding on them and have moved on to something else.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2004, 06:36 AM »
I've tried them for bait through the ice but have yet to have a hit. I've seen them work quite well though. The people who were using them successfully said that rainbows seem to work best of all.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

fISH2WIN

• Set the hook! They aint got hands
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2004, 09:02 AM »
They use them for striper bait here in Tennessee a good bit, The stripers preferr them over shad or Bream. fish2win
Please do not cast into the trees. Most of the fish are in the water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.