FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Erie  (Read 7597 times)

180 Pro

Lake Erie
« on: Jun 25, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Back from a great weekend on Erie. limited out both days, 1:30 on Saturday and 12:30 on Sunday. Saturdays fish were all in the 15" to 20" range, great eaters. Sunday on the other hand the fish were all large. Smallest fish was 20.5" and the largest was just about 28", most of them were 22" to 26". Great time with a great captain and his dad, a retired captain.

crappie_king

Re: Lake Erie
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Glad you had a good time     now for the goood eating!
Lindy
lindenborn

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2012, 09:50 PM »
mind if i ask what charter you had? where u went out of?
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Jig_Head

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2012, 02:14 AM »
Nice job 180, ive never been

180 Pro

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2012, 03:46 AM »
mind if i ask what charter you had? where u went out of?

Thanks everyone.

NDA,

We go out of Port Clinton Ohio. The Captain we use now is Mike Helms, his company is called Zip a Lip Charters. I believe he said his website is down currently. One of my buddies books the trip, I'll get the info to you after I talk to him.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2012, 09:12 AM »
i was just curious. i fish out there alot. didnt know if it was a captain i knew. i go out of turtle bay when i go. late fall and no ice jan i launch at huron. april launch catawba sometimes. pulled alot of big fish in that lake. what a fishery. you deff had a good trip though! glad to hear it. any pics??
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

180 Pro

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2012, 03:43 AM »
i was just curious. i fish out there alot. didnt know if it was a captain i knew. i go out of turtle bay when i go. late fall and no ice jan i launch at huron. april launch catawba sometimes. pulled alot of big fish in that lake. what a fishery. you deff had a good trip though! glad to hear it. any pics??

We only took one pic of a few fish on the cleaning table, will post when I have a chance. The Captain we use now is the son of a captain that used to run a boat for Dunlap Charters, Rick Dunlap sold his service off to a guy called Turbo. This group can catch fish too, but now that Mike Zelm jr. runs a charter with his dad, they are the ticket. These guys run out of Catawba as well.

180 Pro

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2012, 08:09 AM »

Here's a few of them on the cleaning table.

Prchmike

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2012, 08:26 AM »
A little help needed from you Ohio boys from a MFF buddy from farther up the lake: In NY waters we fish alot of worm harnesses and have good success but hardly anyone fishes spoons. What size spoons and what leader length do you guys suggest when fishing for suspended fish with dipseys, and is it as productive for you as harnesses. Thanx for any help you can give, and by the way nice fish.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

180 Pro

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2012, 12:52 PM »
A little help needed from you Ohio boys from a MFF buddy from farther up the lake: In NY waters we fish alot of worm harnesses and have good success but hardly anyone fishes spoons. What size spoons and what leader length do you guys suggest when fishing for suspended fish with dipseys, and is it as productive for you as harnesses. Thanx for any help you can give, and by the way nice fish.

I can't help with that but thought you may want to know that where we go the charters use a device called the weapon, basically a spinner type bait with a egg sinker at the top, tip with 2/3 of a nightcrawler. If you Google the Weapon, Lake Erie you will find it. Only drifting is done while casting and reeling in this rig, wind helps a lot!

Prchmike

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2012, 01:30 PM »
Thanx 180, that sounds interesting will check it out. Do you fish it up off bottom for suspended fish?
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

180 Pro

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2012, 03:48 AM »
Thanx 180, that sounds interesting will check it out. Do you fish it up off bottom for suspended fish?

Well, you actually do a count. A couple of the articles you'll find on the Weapon (Google search) will explain how to use it. As the boat is drifting you cast your line to the side or just behind and then as the line weapon sinks, keep a tight line and count down such as one one thousand and so forth. At any given time you start reeling back to the boat slowly, and yes sometimes you do get to the bottom. If you stay on the bottom you will get a lot more sheephead and gobeys so that isn't the place you want to stay for long. This is basically how you find the productive depth. It seems to change a lot but what you are trying to do is get a consistent area where the fish are feeding. They refer to the moment the line makes the swing to straight as the Erie Swing, and that is when most of the fish hit it. The articles on it are a bit more informative than I.

It is very productive and a bit hard to get used to but once you have it, it works out pretty well. The captains over there out produce their clients at least two fold, they are amazing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.