FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1472138 times)

filetandrelease

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2015
« Reply #930 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:21 AM »
ice fishing provides far more opportunity for many more people that otherwise would not be able to fish. Shorter ice seasons will provide a break for many species.

True it may give more opportunity , but think the catch factor is greater in the fall and spring , boats have an advantage over a guy trying to find perch , I do agree the flats have been pounded the last 2 yrs , maybe we should hear from more people on this ,don't need as many boats to tally up huge numbers of perch , I know of boats that have caught several thousand perch in the fall all legal limits ,  numbers were crazy , and they weren't alone fished with 2 and 3 in a boat , I truly think ice fishermen get more credit than is due far as catching , thanks for the debate NNYF , it's nice to see different opinions
Tite lines guys

coachwarner

« Reply #931 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:57 AM »
Opportunity doesn't catch fish. Opportunist do! :w00t:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

KingPerch

« Reply #932 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:37 AM »
I knew you would one up us Deadeyez  ;D We definitely had more competition out there this year! Release say's he don't care who kills em! ;D
Has anybody seen what KP has been up too?!?!  :w00t:
lol! You laugh...Jr wants to get his boat outta storage! Shoulda kept it out a bit longer! :-\
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #933 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:02 AM »

True it may give more opportunity , but think the catch factor is greater in the fall and spring , boats have an advantage over a guy trying to find perch , I do agree the flats have been pounded the last 2 yrs , maybe we should hear from more people on this ,don't need as many boats to tally up huge numbers of perch , I know of boats that have caught several thousand perch in the fall all legal limits ,  numbers were crazy , and they weren't alone fished with 2 and 3 in a boat , I truly think ice fishermen get more credit than is due far as catching , thanks for the debate NNYF , it's nice to see different opinions
Tite lines guys

I haven't fished a lot this month, 7 times I think, but there was pacs of boats every time I went, looked like perch waters too me, bet they had coolers full.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #934 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:44 AM »
You can cover much more water easier out of the boats too. The hatchery looked pretty full this past spring as far as the eyes go. I think the fish are doing fine.
Nice job findin em

filetandrelease

« Reply #935 on: Dec 18, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Just think Bob that's only one small trib , and in combination with the 15" size limit I believe they are doing fine

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
« Reply #936 on: Dec 18, 2015, 12:38 PM »
I have seen many large packs of boats slammin the perch this fall. I think that boat fishing, in the spring, and fall far out wieghs the catch on hard water. since the pickerals have been back in the lake it's a little tougher staying on a school of perch. all in all I think the fish in the lake are in good shape except for short piont, and lower south bay. the flats were desimated the winter before last.   Sully...

NNY Fisherman

« Reply #937 on: Dec 18, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Guess a study would need to occur. Up here on the big lake ice fisherman do a number on the perch and northerns. Additionally we have commercial gill netters that do real damage and hook and line commercial guys take too many perch to sell.

filetandrelease

« Reply #938 on: Dec 18, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Not to disrupt we were talking about Oneida ,  not the bay's of Lake Ontario , the netters  had a poor year up there for perch , also no new commerical licenses have been issued far as I know there are only 1 left and limits are different , if I thought there was a problem here (Oneida) I would be one of the first to voice for change , and like many I fish average 4 days a week be it ice or soft water and Cornell has a station on the south shore and they take surveys on the lake and at the launches all the time , I get questioned several times a year , with Oneida making between 15-20 mill a year I'm sure they don't want to lose a cash cow

NNY Fisherman

« Reply #939 on: Dec 18, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Actually there are three licenses up here. I realize this is an Oneida website but I was speaking generally. Sorry if I offended you. Also I can only speak for one of the gill netters and he did not have a poor year. Sorry to be slightly off topic but I read non fishing banter all the time on this site so I did not think anyone would mind.
Apologies.

reeleyz

« Reply #940 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:17 PM »
It's all good NNY. I don't think anyone is offended.

filetandrelease

« Reply #941 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Not offended at all it's good to hear other points of view , my understanding  Ditch was the last one , but my understanding no new licenses are being issued but I could be wrong , and this has been going on up there for more than 60 years that I know of , everyone's commentary is welcome far as I am concerned ,
Have a great holiday , looking forward to more opinions it's fun and we all get something out of it  
F&R

NNY Fisherman

« Reply #942 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance. Ditch is one of the remaining three netters and you are right ; they are not issuing any more licenses. I can tell you they have an impact on the fisheries by killing scores of non-targeted species in their miles of gill nets. One of them actually was arrested for selling walleyes they caught. Additionally they kill tons of bass, northerns, etc. Its really sad to know that the largest netter actually lives in Florida and comes up for the two netting seasons only to take the money back south immediately after. Would it not be better to have the fish in the lake for fisherman to catch ?
Now, getting back to the original topic, I think fisherman should limit their catch. Common sense should always come into play not filling freezers and giving away tons of fish.

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
« Reply #943 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:13 PM »
No offence taken it's good to kick the dust up every once in a while. Great topic !!!   Sully...

coachwarner

« Reply #944 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:24 PM »
No offence taken it's good to kick the dust up every once in a while. Great topic !!!   Sully...

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.