FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1471893 times)

wallyworld

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #1275 on: Mar 23, 2016, 06:27 AM »
Thanks. Tried calling there yesterday, but no answer.

KingPerch

« Reply #1276 on: Mar 23, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I heard today that they are dropping them in tomorrow....I drove down to the creek today...no walleye! :-\
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

reeleyz

« Reply #1277 on: Mar 24, 2016, 06:11 PM »
I just stopped at the dam and there are some eyes in the creek now. It will be loaded this weekend. It's a perfect weekend to take your family down to the hatchery to check out one of the coolest things in the area.

perchgypsy

« Reply #1278 on: Mar 24, 2016, 06:41 PM »
What crazy weather today was 35 degrees In  oswego and 60 in fulton...
going to be a nice weekend to hit up the lake for sure..wasn't a soul on the bay today ..northwest corner
looked rough out there...I'm headed to do some shore casting in the morning

choo choo

« Reply #1279 on: Mar 24, 2016, 08:19 PM »
I just stopped at the dam and there are some eyes in the creek now. It will be loaded this weekend. It's a perfect weekend to take your family down to the hatchery to check out one of the coolest things in the area.
Hi reeleyz. I am trying to understand the Oneida walleye migration for spawning. Why have those fish (pretty good number, both males and egg laden females) staged then ran up the canal and  way way up fish creek on and off for over 2weeks now ,., but the scriba creek fish have barely got going yet....only a handful of fish up the scriba ? Is it a water temperature or water flow difference that had them running the east end,well over 2 weeks ahead of the Scriba creek?  Just curious. Maybe Snag, Fred, Dead or some of you local guy's have the answer.
I'm fishing my way through life .

reeleyz

« Reply #1280 on: Mar 24, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I think it comes down to more water flowing in from fish creek. I would think that the water temp would be similar in both creeks. I would guess that Fish creek gets at least 10 times the number of eyes running up.

We know the eyes were staged off the beach for a while too.

So my thought is more water flow and more eyes in the area are the cause. It always happens that way. I have never seen eyes in Scriba first.

choo choo

« Reply #1281 on: Mar 24, 2016, 09:27 PM »
Thanks Bruce...was just thinking about the difference in the water depths and clarity of the 2 creeks too....might have an influence along with the greater water flow like you said.
I'm fishing my way through life .

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1282 on: Mar 25, 2016, 04:47 AM »
I find that whole set up pretty interesting to say the least...
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

wallyworld

« Reply #1283 on: Mar 25, 2016, 07:09 AM »
Thanks Reeleyz. Sounds like a little ride is in order this weekend. Always love to see the fish I never seem to be able to catch come walleye season  ::)

coachwarner

« Reply #1284 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Hi reeleyz. I am trying to understand the Oneida walleye migration for spawning. Why have those fish (pretty good number, both males and egg laden females) staged then ran up the canal and  way way up fish creek on and off for over 2weeks now ,., but the scriba creek fish have barely got going yet....only a handful of fish up the scriba ? Is it a water temperature or water flow difference that had them running the east end,well over 2 weeks ahead of the Scriba creek?  Just curious. Maybe Snag, Fred, Dead or some of you local guy's have the answer.
I would have to agree with Reeleyz. More water flow means more oxygenated water which is what their looking for.

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #1285 on: Mar 25, 2016, 09:52 AM »
If there is more oxygen in the Fish Creak water perhaps Realeyes or Coach can explain the physics that puts more oxygen in Fish Creek.  Seems to me the water flowing over the dam at Scriba Creek would oxygenate the water more.

My take is Fish Creek is a much lager body, that can accommodate a lot more Walleye than that small stretch of Scriba between the dam impassable by fish to the  lake, a huge difference in area for fish to occupy.  Additionally the Walleye need to migrate miles and miles up fish creek to their spanning areas, perhap this has more to do with more Walleye being in Fish Creek then Scriba Creek.

reeleyz

« Reply #1286 on: Mar 25, 2016, 10:21 AM »
We are saying more volume of water flowing in. That draws them in from farther away...

coachwarner

« Reply #1287 on: Mar 25, 2016, 01:39 PM »
We are saying more volume of water flowing in. That draws them in from farther away...
Shhhhh!!!!....... Bruce!!! don't tell em about the oxygen tanks we have strategically placed in the fish creek.  :w00t: ;) ;D

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Old Timer

« Reply #1288 on: Mar 25, 2016, 02:55 PM »
They are easy to find. The lights are pretty bright..

scout57

« Reply #1289 on: Mar 25, 2016, 03:04 PM »
they finally closed the gates thank goodness........can't even fish my favorite spot right now because of the low water........can't quite figure out what criteria they use for this ???.......pretty much isn't hard to see that we had a mild winter and that there isn't any snow pack to fill the lake......lake is at least a foot or more down.......hopefully it comes up soon for the marina's sake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.