FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 336961 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: NY Fisherman 2016 Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #60 on: Oct 27, 2016, 06:01 AM »
with the  liberal PA   bow  crossbow  season  I decided  to  try it ... now I  can  hunt  the  northern   black powder  season  and    part  of  the  southern ny  bow  season  I  think it's  going to be really  fun .....I  been shooting it  and   I  think I  can reach out  a  little  further  and  the  bolt  travels  a  whole  lot faster .....i'm  sure  that new  York  will  follow  suit and open  bow  season  to  crossbows .....and  no  worrys   I still have  my  bow  and  recurve ......last year I  took   a  doe  with the  recurve  first   one  with a  recurve in 40 years  that was  fun ....  this  year I  hope I get a  shot  with the  crossbow ............good luck  to all  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #61 on: Oct 27, 2016, 06:31 AM »
 Trapper, the southern zone is open to crossbow from Nov. 5 - 18th. That's cool you broke out the primitive weapons and scored.   :thumbup_smilie:

step2jimi

« Reply #62 on: Oct 27, 2016, 08:48 AM »
I like the way new york handles the crossbows. To me theyre simplu not the same as a long bow wether that be compound recurv. If theyre going to open the entire bow season too crossbows i hope they make it shorter too. Disclaimer- crossbows should always be an option for someone who can not pull and or hold a bow back.

FrankM

« Reply #63 on: Oct 27, 2016, 08:57 AM »
I can see a crossbow in my future as I had to get 2 shots of cortisone in my shoulder in order to draw my bow this year.   I shot my brother's crossbow at a target last week and it was sure nice.  First shot dead center in the bullseye.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

trapper2000

« Reply #64 on: Oct 27, 2016, 09:44 AM »
I know  after  nov 5   we  can  hunt  with them  :) and frank I  can  understand  the  shoulder problems  as well .....  PA  has  showed  no harm  from  opening the  entire season to  crossbows  and   now it's  a  matter of  time  new  York will  follow ... we  can   complain that  bow  season is  to long but the  numbers  don't lie  we  have  a  high population of  deer and  less hunters   in order  to maintane proper  management numbers  we  have  to  get  more  deer harvested ...if hunters  don't  do the  job  regulated federal shooters  will ,look at long  island ....by the  way I  got mu  Barnett gamecrusher  on  sale at  dicks  for  299  dollars  165  pound  draw  and  330 fps  I  think it's a  quality   bow  and  affordable ....

rugburn  it  was  really  fun  using a  recurve and  my  heart rate  went  up  on that  one  ,was  funny I  could see the  arrow  and seen it  hit 

reeleyz

« Reply #65 on: Oct 27, 2016, 11:46 AM »
When they first started talking about opening bow season up to crossbows I was not onboard. Since then both my mom and father in law started hunting with crossbows and now I think it was a good move. If it gives them a few extra bow seasons to enjoy the woods then it is a good thing to me.

Comparing a crossbow to even a compound bow is apples and oranges. That crossbow is so easy to shoot.

trapper2000

« Reply #66 on: Oct 27, 2016, 12:57 PM »
When they first started talking about opening bow season up to crossbows I was not onboard. Since then both my mom and father in law started hunting with crossbows and now I think it was a good move. If it gives them a few extra bow seasons to enjoy the woods then it is a good thing to me.

Comparing a crossbow to even a compound bow is apples and oranges. That crossbow is so easy to shoot.

yes  and  no  modern  compounds  and  the  draw  weights  people  are shooting  now  is  unbelievable  and the  distance  some  shooters  can  make a  good  shoot ,  bow hunting has  changed a lot in  50 years  and  I  am sure  will keep changing  ....reeleyz  your  right  about getting a  few  extra  seasons   my  old  Oneida  is  down to  52  pounds  and  my  shoulder  still hurts ....i'm  hunting  with  what  ever is  legal ,,, what  ever  can make a  humane  shot  and  what  ever  i'm  comfortable with  that day ...i'm not ready  to hang my bow  up  but  I  can't  crank it  to 70 lbs  no  more  either

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #67 on: Oct 27, 2016, 01:16 PM »

I'm all for the cross bow. Even though I'm an archery hunter I'd use a Xb over archery gear in a lot of situations. Nothing compares to the thrill of a bow kill... But I like dead deer any way I can get em in the end. Especially on the grill or in a stew  ;D

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #68 on: Oct 27, 2016, 02:32 PM »
 So far I passed on a spike horn and a 1 1/2 year old doe. Figured that doe was a fawn last season and hasn't even had a chance to breed yet. Hate to deny her that fun. But I sure was tempted, she would've made fine eating. If this wind would let up, maybe the big boys will get on their feet. Not many reports of kills as of yet in my neighborhood, time to get to it guys! The next two weeks should get interesting. Good luck to all. 

perch-hound

« Reply #69 on: Oct 27, 2016, 02:48 PM »
I missed a big 150" buck the second Sunday of the season, my bottom limb hit a tree limb.
I knew I was in a bad way when he came in, he was on his feet early that afternoon,
found my arrow clean miss, I knew it was an "all" or "nothing" shot.
Haven't seen him since, he prolly learned just a little bit by it.
And before anybody screams about an unethical shot, "save it", I've had way too much
experience with a bow, and the adverse effect on arrow flight when a bow limb hits an obstruction(a solid obstruction)
ie: 3D archery, practice shooting, etc.
Good luck out there guys, best is yet to come!

trapper2000

« Reply #70 on: Oct 27, 2016, 03:57 PM »
no unethical shot  screams   but  I  did the  same  thing  years  ago  and  my  bow   derailed  and  the  limb broke ....I  had  a  bruise on my  arm  for  a  month  and  I  piece of junk  left for a  bow, I  did basically  the  same  thing you did,  nice  deer  came  in   I  wasn't thinking  got  to  close  to the  rail on  the  tower released  and  my  bow  blew  up  when the limb hit .....  that  deer  might have  learned a little  but  so  did  you  ...thanks  for  sharing the  story  you  very well may have  prevented  someone  else  from  making the  same  mistake and  getting  seriously hurt ....no matter  how  much  experience we have  ,no matter  how  good  we  are ,anyone  can  make a  mistake and a  accident  is  only a  second  away .the  tree  stand  is  a long ways  from  your  car  or  from help  so be careful

kc

« Reply #71 on: Oct 27, 2016, 04:50 PM »
So far I passed on a spike horn and a 1 1/2 year old doe. Figured that doe was a fawn last season and hasn't even had a chance to breed yet. Hate to deny her that fun. But I sure was tempted, she would've made fine eating. If this wind would let up, maybe the big boys will get on their feet. Not many reports of kills as of yet in my neighborhood, time to get to it guys! The next two weeks should get interesting. Good luck to all. 

That spike would a lot better than that nasty thing you shot last year.  :D ;) ;)

kc

« Reply #72 on: Oct 27, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Last season I shot a yote and went to nock another arrow and the nock point was way low. I had hit the arm of my climber and knocked the string off the cam. Fortunately I didn't miss the yote.   

perch-hound

« Reply #73 on: Oct 28, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Fortunately my bow stayed together, but it did shoot low after that, must have stretched the string or buss cable.
Got it sighted back in, throw new cables on it after the season.
My buddy is sitting in that same stand this morning, he hasn't got to worry about that particular tree limb,
it's laying on the ground now!  :D

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #74 on: Oct 30, 2016, 10:30 PM »

Been a rough couple seasons by my standards, so I put aside the stick and string and pulled out Deliverance and put some meat in the shack tonight! Wicked happy, Limit O Slabs on Saturday, nice Buck on Sunday  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.