FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 340882 times)

bbfrogger

Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #1785 on: Oct 27, 2021, 01:11 PM »
I depend on EHD to slow the deer down ....

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1786 on: Oct 30, 2021, 06:32 AM »
i was reading the count the  DEC  has  on  deer that died  with this  in our state  ....it's  sick............
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1787 on: Oct 30, 2021, 06:49 AM »
The region has been hit particularly hard by an outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD), and it’s believed to have killed off more than 700 deer.

According to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation recently confirmed a large EHD outbreak across 7 counties, including Columbia, Dutchess, Greene, Nassau, Oswego, Suffolk, and Ulste. The outbreak is considered to have potentially made its way into 9 additional counties as well, including Albany, Jefferson, Oneida, Orange, Putnam, Rensselaer, Rockland, Sullivan, and Westchester.
 Unfortunately, these are some of the very best deer hunting counties in the state. While EHD does not present a danger to humans, the number of deer killed by the outbreak is considerable and could impact the number of deer that hunters see in the woods this fall.

The disease is not spread from deer to deer, but rather it is transmitted by biting midges, bugs so tiny they are seemingly invisible. Humans cannot be infected by midge bites, nor can they transmit the disease from deer.

Once a deer is infected by midge bites, they typically perish within 36 hours. EHD is most common in late summer and early fall when the midges are most abundant; however, this particular outbreak is considered to be notably brutal in terms of the number of deer impacted. The first good hard frost of the year typically kills off the midges and erases the threat for EHD outbreaks.

Infected deer will display symptoms that include fever, hemorrhage in muscles or organs, and swelling of the head, neck, tongue, and lips. The animals may appear lame or dehydrated, and EHD-infected deer often go to water sources and die nearby.

EHD usually occurs somewhat sporadically in the state, but this outbreak is particularly bad. The disease is more common in the southern U.S., and as a result, some regional deer herds have developed an immunity to the midges.

That is not the case in New York, however, and deer in the Empire State are believed to have no immunity to the disease. The outbreak is not considered to be a threat to the overall health of New York’s deer herd at large, but there may be noticeably fewer deer on the landscape in the counties impacted by the recent surge in EHD infections.

The disease was first documented in New York in 2007, and the state’s worst outbreak came just last year when over 1,500 deer died from EHD infections in Putnam and Orange counties alone.

The Department of Environmental Conservation is asking people who witness sick or dead deer to report them to their agency through a new online form devoted specifically to this issue.

For more information on monitoring EHD outbreaks, check out this video from the National Deer Association.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #1788 on: Oct 30, 2021, 06:56 AM »
Thanks Dom. I have heard very little about what’s going on in our state regarding EHD.  The only thing I’ve seen or read was an article in the New York Outdoor News. Other than that my info has just been from talking with other hunters.
Nice job findin em

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1789 on: Oct 30, 2021, 07:11 AM »
Some people like to blow this up and say it’s devastating to the deer population.  Will hurt small areas for a season but that’s it..
  If you compare this to deer
vehicle accidents 10 times more deer die in the road….   
If they would just cross where the road crew puts up crossing signs there would be way more deer….     ;) ;)     ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

reeleyz

« Reply #1790 on: Oct 30, 2021, 07:30 AM »
Thanks Dom. I have heard very little about what’s going on in our state regarding EHD.  The only thing I’ve seen or read was an article in the New York Outdoor News. Other than that my info has just been from talking with other hunters.

I talked to an ECO last week. He said he had 1 confirmed case of EHD anywhere near here on CR 37.

I have not seen any issues here.

I agree with Dom, just a small bump in the road in most places.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #1791 on: Oct 30, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Raq, thanks, a very good report....h2l

trapper2000

« Reply #1792 on: Oct 30, 2021, 07:51 AM »
again i'll get   a thread locked  or my post will disappear ...happens  when you have a  different opinion and  even  show the  facts ......  last year we  lost  app. 1500 deer to  EHD  this  year   by  sept17th  we were ate  700  in  new  counties ....we  would have  taken the hit  accept for the  fact i average  frost (oswego county) is  oct 7th and that kills the  midgets....... this  year  it  didn't happen  so it's  been  spreading a  extra 2 to 3  weeks......

is  it a  big  deal ......is to  me  is to Cornell 

trapper2000

« Reply #1793 on: Oct 30, 2021, 07:54 AM »
also interesting note  the  disease  first appeared  in  july this  year  much earlier then  before  and  it's  still  active in many areas .......  we don't know  what the  final  fatalities  will  be  but it won't  be  good  ...... DEC is  assking any sick or dead deer  be  reported  315-444-0310

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1794 on: Oct 30, 2021, 11:18 AM »
The state should order  a size and bag limit and put it  in affect immediately.
 One deer per hunter. 8pt or bigger and only one per season..
Otherwise there won’t be ANY deer left in NY.       :o :o    ;)

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) 8) :D 8) 8)

Badbrad2186

« Reply #1795 on: Oct 30, 2021, 01:07 PM »
The state should order  a size and bag limit and put it  in affect immediately.
 One deer per hunter. 8pt or bigger and only one per season..
Otherwise there won’t be ANY deer left in NY.       :o :o    ;)

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) 8) :D 8) 8)

😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

trapper2000

« Reply #1796 on: Oct 30, 2021, 01:46 PM »
https://cwhl.vet.cornell.edu/article/epizootic-hemorrhagic-disease-white-tailed-deer-updated

this  is  the  oct 28  2021  count

this  is  oct 26  2020  count

this  is  serious  it  will make a  impact on a lot of  hunters  and you can  clearly  see  we  are  far above  700 deer  and the  numbers  are  much  higher cornell is  only reporting  what  was  found

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1797 on: Oct 30, 2021, 03:06 PM »
Trapp your much better at research and math than I am ..
But if you add up the total of deer and the amount that tested positive there’s less than 70 positive…
 No wonder my season has been so bad so far.  Next year is going to be terrible..
  :-\

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1798 on: Oct 30, 2021, 03:09 PM »
And no positive tests in my county .. ;)

trapper2000

« Reply #1799 on: Oct 30, 2021, 03:37 PM »
 Cornell is  not testing  every deer they find or are reported the  two i found  were  not tested  i  merely reported them ....i  believe the  numbers  are  2008   as of last  Cornell  posted  ....to  me that is a  big deal knowing  a lot of  deer  are  not reported  and the  fact  many will never be found ,  will  it  destroy  our deer  population   i  doubt that but if  your in a  area  with a  high case  level it's  going to hurt your hunting.....it may not be  as important as  a dead show  but i think it's  pretty important to most  sportsmen ...  and  my research  was  merely  googling    how  many deer  died  from  EHD in  new york and  the  numbers  are  Cornell's ..........to make  this  out  to be  a  joke is in my opinion  unsportsman like , i  never would have  expected that of you  .........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.