FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 338600 times)

scout57

Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #1935 on: Nov 14, 2021, 08:16 AM »
  congrats  scout !   That is awsome   certainly a great day     I did that once about 10 minutes apart maybe 15 yrs ago     now your chores begin   that's a lot of butchering to do at once if you do your own
already butchered and frozen........my dad was a butcher and I learned how to do my own processing.......myself and some buds make the process a group effort and have a blast telling old deer and fishing stories and maybe a beer or 2 8)

62 & Done

« Reply #1936 on: Nov 15, 2021, 11:05 AM »
  Great shooting scout    a true testament to what dedicated practice and good hunter ethics will do

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1937 on: Nov 17, 2021, 05:25 AM »
Have you ever tried pork fat instead? My in-laws had a pig butchered and I have 20 lbs. of lard.

Yes it works great. 
I use apple smoked bacon in mine.  Not a lot just enough to to hold it together and so it don’t dry out.
 When I cook my burgers on the grill I put a big slice of onion on top and wrap each in foil and slow cook them and than open and brown them a little..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Pequod1

« Reply #1938 on: Nov 17, 2021, 05:27 AM »
I figured some eye candy from yesterday’s hunt was in order. Nope, I didn’t get a shot off. Closest they came was 55 yds.

reeleyz

« Reply #1939 on: Nov 17, 2021, 05:36 AM »
Yes it works great. 
I use apple smoked bacon in mine.  Not a lot just enough to to hold it together and so it don’t dry out.
 When I cook my burgers on the grill I put a big slice of onion on top and wrap each in foil and slow cook them and than open and brown them a little..

We normally use pork shoulder or beef fat. I'll give it a shot.

Nice pic P. I was out in the NZ yesterday with a nice coating of snow. No deer though.

TomFish

« Reply #1940 on: Nov 17, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Whats everybody's take on the effect of the moon on deer hunting? I've heard its a big factor, I've heard its just an old wives tale. I've heard they move more at night and less during the day on a full moon, I've heard people swear by hunting the day after the full moon.

The full moon has a long eclipse this Friday morning, supposed to be cloudy though.

greensider

« Reply #1941 on: Nov 17, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Full moon Friday movement will probably slow a little just after but it only takes one doe to pep things up

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1942 on: Nov 17, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Lots of studies on the moon.
A deer sees in shades.  When the moon is full at night most head to open fields.  The moon will leave shadows in the woods from the trees. 
 A couple days before and after a new moon is the best. 
  JMO..   ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

62 & Done

« Reply #1943 on: Nov 17, 2021, 12:39 PM »
  I have a calendar which includes chores at home, things to keep the wife happy, and free time for me    minus the days that are just plain crappy     unfortunately is does not include the moon phases so going when I can go has to work for me    sorry I can't be of more assistance

FrankM

« Reply #1944 on: Nov 17, 2021, 02:17 PM »
I'm with you. I hunt when I can. The moon has no effect on my hunting. When a nice deer presents a clean shot I take it. I have kept a detailed record of all my hunts for over 30 years and have been unable to establish any definite moon patterns.  I shoot them when they come.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

reeleyz

« Reply #1945 on: Nov 17, 2021, 04:01 PM »
Same here. I have kept a log since I was 17 (28 seasons). I went through it about 5 years ago and checked the moon phases at the times I saw good rutting action. Guess what, it was all over the place. No correlation at all.

The deer might move a little more at night during a full moon but like greensider said, one hot doe throws it all out the window.

A good cold front has more affect than the moon phase in my opinion.

Hunt when you can and as much as you can.

62 & Done

« Reply #1946 on: Nov 17, 2021, 07:33 PM »
I've never kept any kind of log except for the dec sighting log.  I have however kept every tag I've ever made out since 1972  More deer have been taken Nov 2nd thru the 8th Than any other period of same number of days.  This includes archery in the south as well as rifle season in the north.  So hunt whenever you can but be there when November rolls around.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1947 on: Nov 18, 2021, 12:55 PM »

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1948 on: Nov 18, 2021, 01:47 PM »
This one was weighed in at Haskells Inn for the big buck contest..

Mac Attack

« Reply #1949 on: Nov 18, 2021, 02:39 PM »
That's a horse!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.