FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Prayed for Rutnut  (Read 34722 times)

supervdl

Re: Prayed for Rutnut
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Glad he is doing better. Snake boots are definitely on my shopping list. I hike a lot alone on the woods.

Spider1

« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2018, 05:16 AM »
He's home. I stopped by yesterday to see how he's doing. His leg wasn't pretty to begin with, now it's downright scary! LOL! He's gonna be out of the game for a while but he's still playing. He said he has checked out the thread but can't post on it cuz he doesn't have his password. He said he appreciated your prayers and good thoughts.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2018, 03:29 PM »
I am HOME guys!!😎

I could FEEL all the prayers thru this guys! GOD IS GOOD! The story is crazy! If I didn’t live it I wouldn’t believe it! 🙄

All I can say is my FAITH and LOVE of my family is the ONLY things that kept me alive! 🙏

I was NOT going to let my family find me dead on that trail somewhere!!!!!! 🤭  Whatever it took!!!!!!

Just glad to be ALIVE to fish another ICE season!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PRAYERS!!!!!!! THEY WORKED!!!!! 😎

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Wow wee Rutnut, that is my worst nightmare, snakes that bite! Never had the pleasure to meet you but after reading this thread I said a prayer for you and your family. Not sure where you're located, I've heard of rattlers up in the north east, but fortunately never run into one. It's great to hear you are back home mending!  :thumbup_smilie:

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #19 on: Jul 30, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Rugburn,

First off it is ‘Ol Snakebite now!  ;)

Next- Thanks so much - all prayers appreciated!

I live in Pike Co where I have always been told there ARE rattlers. Luckily I have never seen any here in 25+ years.
I have done several backpacking trips in North Central PA where they do the snake hunts. Saw a dark phase Timber Rattler on a trip several years ago. It was easy to see,  but did not rattle til I almost touched it with my hiking staff(not to harass, but to see if it WOULD rattle. It did, much too late for my liking!  :o

This time it was a yellow phase Timber which blend in amazingly well. It never rattled and I did not see it til it was striking!  ::)

While doing research this week Timbers are noted for NOT rattling! So don’t expect them to. The other nasty thing peculiar to Timbers, is the venom not only attacks the surrounding tissues of the bite, BUT ALSO attacks the platelets!(other rattlers do not do this)
So a major concern is an inability to CLOT!  :o

When I got my first bloodwork I was down to 7,000 platelet count. “Low” is considered <130,000 and “normal” is 150,000

So bleeding was a MAJOR concern- why they were keeping a CLOSE eye on me for safety reasons. Could not use razor and a fall could be disastrous! And the way I was walking, with a walker, that was a possibility. I had to wait til my platelets rose above 50,000 before they would release me. Keep that in mind!

I will now wear snake-proof chaps when in the woods!

KingPerch

« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Best of luck on the recovery RuttNutt err... ol snakebite!!😁 God Bless!!😎
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Glad you're on the mend. Realistically it could just as easily happen to me although I haven't seen a rattler in years.

A few years ago a friend of mine in Vermont got bit in the face. You could say it was his fault because he was messing with it. Long story short, they got him to Rutland hospital. No anti-venom in VT. Medivaced in a dose from Albany. Apparently it had expired and was no good. Had to medivac a second dose days later from New Hampshire.  He was in the hospital for a month and a half. He's lucky to be alive!

Get well!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #22 on: Jul 30, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Thanks KP!!!!! Glad to still be breathing!!!!  8)

Fishmachine- Thanks! Bites are VERY rare!!!! Avg of 2-3 venomous bites in PA per year- and 1/2 of rattler bites are “dry”( no venom) I was just in wrong spot at wrong time!
As soon as it hit me I knew it was bad!!!!!!! Fingers and toes started tingling, lips swelled and went numb and head was spinning as I walked back down the mountain. Just tried to stay calm and keep moving. It was just over 4 hrs til I got first dose of anti-venom. They say under 6 hrs prevents permanent damage/death.

Tell your buddy the good Lord was protecting him! Days later is not supposed to work!!!!!!! :o That’s just crazy!!!!!!!!They we’re concerned with me pushing past the 4 hr Mark. Why I was airlifted a second time from Altoona to Pittsburgh. Apparently that’s where all the best toxicologists are in Pa!

CHEZ2

« Reply #23 on: Jul 30, 2018, 08:06 PM »
I am HOME guys!!😎

I could FEEL all the prayers thru this guys! GOD IS GOOD! The story is crazy! If I didn’t live it I wouldn’t believe it! 🙄

All I can say is my FAITH and LOVE of my family is the ONLY things that kept me alive! 🙏

I was NOT going to let my family find me dead on that trail somewhere!!!!!! 🤭  Whatever it took!!!!!!

Just glad to be ALIVE to fish another ICE season!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PRAYERS!!!!!!! THEY WORKED!!!!! 😎

YOU Got some GREAT FRIENDS HERE PERRY.
GET WELL QUICK BRO.
WE  GOTTA YAK TRIP TO DO.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #24 on: Jul 30, 2018, 08:49 PM »
YOU Got some GREAT FRIENDS HERE PERRY.
GET WELL QUICK BRO.
WE  GOTTA YAK TRIP TO DO.

I know that Chez- and am soooooooooo grateful!!!!!!!
Never felt alone one minute thru this whole ordeal!(even though I was sitting in a hospital bed 6 hrs from home!) I could FEEL the prayers and good thoughts!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS to all those who contributed! Might be awhile til I get in kayak but doing everything in my power to get better. Hope to be able to ditch the walker next week maybe.

chris458wm

« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2018, 09:39 PM »
I'm glad you're doing better and you're proof what determination on a person's part and some prayers will do for a person.  I hope you have a full and speedy recovery and when you do we have to do some fishing.  Oh and don't worry I'll bring my near and very dear friend Sam with me.  Chez saw how well Sam and I work together and you can be sure I don't hesitate on having him go into action.   ;)

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2018, 11:41 PM »
Chris- I look forward to getting together and meeting Sam! When we do, I will tell you guys the whole story-it is amazing! But nothing I did- it was ALL GOD!!!!!!!  ;) He got me thru it so my family did not have to find me (dead) on that trail! The way things were going I figure I probably could have made it a few more tenths of a mile on my leg. But NOT much more!!!!! THANK GOD I had stopped 2.3 miles from my car to set up camp!

supervdl

« Reply #27 on: Aug 01, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Glad you are back home!! And I like the new name! Best wishes.

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #28 on: Aug 01, 2018, 07:07 AM »
great to see ya back and on the mend,,,,   quite an ordeal for sure....     goodluck and heal fast,,     :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

filetandrelease

« Reply #29 on: Aug 01, 2018, 07:29 AM »

I was just asking Chez how you were doing ,
  While you were laid up in the hospital with time on your hands i sent Chez a video that following by example would keep you entertained 😜

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.