FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Going to be in Alpena for a Wedding  (Read 2251 times)

taxid

Going to be in Alpena for a Wedding
« on: Jul 21, 2019, 09:55 PM »
on September 28th. Would like to do some fishing on the big lake in the area or a river in that area around that time for big trout and salmon.

Obviously I'll miss the main run of salmon, but any suggestions for maybe browns or steelhead around that time? Or will there still be salmon coming up the Thunder Bay River? Don't mind going north as far as the UP either as I can set up home base just about anywhere.

Maybe I should just go up in August for the main run and forget about fishing around the 28th of September?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

RoeBoat

Re: Going to be in Alpena for a Wedding
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2019, 10:46 PM »
I hope you get an answer but this MI board seems to be dead!  Back in the day I was doing some architectural work in Boyne city.  It was sometime in September I believe and there was a good run of salmon up the Boyne river out of the big lake via lake Charlevoix.  I always wanted to go back.  It was between Lake season and ski season and we had a 3 bedroom condo with jacuzzi tubs for the price of a cheap hotel room.  There were lighted sidewalks along the lake with benches and guys fished right off the walks where the river runs under the highway through a couple large culverts.  I still remember watching the salmon packed in that narrow, shallow channel under the night lights.  Swore I could reach down and grab one!  Not a trout fisherman but I've caught a couple.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Thanks Roeboat! I've decided to skip fishing on the Wedding trip and go fishing up there at a another better time. The wife and I will be taking a train trip from Sault Saint Marie to the Aqawa canyon after the wedding.

Another thing about Michganders, which may explain why no response: Some are quite possessive of their fishing up there and don't welcome outsiders. I found that out on a the Steelhead Manifesto site on Facebook. One member went on a tirade against another for giving me information, and said he was sick and tired of out of staters "molesting" HIS fish.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

RoeBoat

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2019, 09:21 PM »
Yeah, just don't completely understand that attitude!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.