FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Clam Farmer.....we are going to be rich!!! PERCH!!!  (Read 5335 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
Re: Clam Farmer.....we are going to be rich!!! PERCH!!!
« Reply #30 on: Jun 23, 2021, 12:51 PM »
A note for the questions of the black grub. Basically black dots that look like pepper in the fillets. Out of 20.25 lbs of cleal fillets we only had 1.44 lbs of fillets with black grubs. From what I was told yesterday this is about normal for other areas in VT, NY and OH.

CF, as you know we have delt with HACCP for 21 years. I could be incorrect but if only icing and shipping the regulations would me much less complex. Noting tops processing lobster or shellfish  :pinch:
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

Scalloper

« Reply #31 on: Jun 23, 2021, 01:10 PM »
I should note that I ate the fillets with the black grubs for lunch yesterday deep fried in grease at 365 degrees.... still here  :laugh:
They cant possibly be a fraction as bad for you as hot dogs or McDonalds  :sick:

filetandrelease

« Reply #32 on: Jun 23, 2021, 02:46 PM »

Many times the black dots do not enter the flesh , and cooking does kill them , I toss the ones back with the extra protein 😃
 But try and sell them you might be very disappointed

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #33 on: Jun 23, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Black spots on the outside or cream colored grubs inside the flesh...  Big difference..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Scalloper

« Reply #34 on: Jun 23, 2021, 05:31 PM »
These were black dots looked like 10-15 dots of black pepper. Very small

joefishmore

« Reply #35 on: Jun 27, 2021, 07:12 AM »
Fish eating birds , primary host so Loons should be eradicated ?

taxid

« Reply #36 on: Jun 27, 2021, 09:26 AM »
Fish eating birds , primary host so Loons should be eradicated ?

1. The black you see is actually the fish's response to the parasite.

2. If I remember right from my research into this while propagating fish, the black spot parasite is associated with a cycle involving kingfishers and the yellow grub with Great Blue Herons. Never heard of anything to do with loons.

3. Snails are also part of the cycle with the yellow grub and the Great Blue Herrons.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #37 on: Aug 11, 2021, 09:03 PM »
Many times the black dots do not enter the flesh , and cooking does kill them , I toss the ones back with the extra protein 😃
 But try and sell them you might be very disappointed

Fred do they do 7 and 3/4 for market size by you?  Northern champlain that was the minimum size they'd take.  Id always forget to not let them freeze and would also be very dissapointed...until I ate them myself.

CF before the stocks really collapsed I enjoyed rod and reel commercial striper fishing.  Get into a good hit of 30lbers early and you could sell hundreds of pounds at 4-6 a pound. Now making a buck off of natures back isnt my thing.  Perch though are different.  Lots of guys selling perch from champlain.

jacksmelt

« Reply #38 on: Sep 10, 2021, 09:09 AM »
all the bigger lakes in the fish river chain have huge y. perch. long , cross and square grow the biggest ones. my p.b is a 16in. caught under the ice on cross in 45ft. fishing for salmon. it spooled me. anyone wanting a big catch of these look me up. im 10min from long 15 from cross and square. bring some marine coolers and a good fillet knife. ;) good way to see if they have cysts is look under the jaw. if its clean usually the rest of the fish is also. most are clean here. never seen the yellow grubs here only the black dots and small gray cysts the size of a bb. in my shack on long i can average a 200 fish morning. i catch smelts from 3 to 7am then at sun up the yellows move in. the flasher is black from 10ft down to the bottom in 35 fow.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

woodchip1

« Reply #39 on: Sep 10, 2021, 02:51 PM »
I might have to buy another chest freezer. with all the perch fillets and all the any deer permits in family freezers will be full!!!

jacksmelt

« Reply #40 on: Sep 10, 2021, 06:58 PM »
not a bad problem to have. ;)
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

CF

« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2021, 06:05 AM »
Thanks! Kind of a long trip, but I'll plan a day up there!!! Maybe I can join you if we can coordinate a nice weather day.  :thumbup_smilie: :flag:
all the bigger lakes in the fish river chain have huge y. perch. long , cross and square grow the biggest ones. my p.b is a 16in. caught under the ice on cross in 45ft. fishing for salmon. it spooled me. anyone wanting a big catch of these look me up. im 10min from long 15 from cross and square. bring some marine coolers and a good fillet knife. ;) good way to see if they have cysts is look under the jaw. if its clean usually the rest of the fish is also. most are clean here. never seen the yellow grubs here only the black dots and small gray cysts the size of a bb. in my shack on long i can average a 200 fish morning. i catch smelts from 3 to 7am then at sun up the yellows move in. the flasher is black from 10ft down to the bottom in 35 fow.
Formerly CLAMFARMER

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.