FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ulterra  (Read 8322 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Ulterra
« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2022, 09:10 AM »
any updates on how the ulterras operated the rest of the season? Finally starting to see some available again in the 112 pound 72" so thinking of making the jump.

I have only had 2 "problems" and one I wouldn't consider a problem, the other was completely operator error. When I first installed the motor the trim operation was noisy. A lot of grinding. I reached out to Minn Kota and they talked me through opening the trim housing and adjusting tension of the very small internal belt that trims the motor. It was an easy adjustment and the noise hasn't returned. The other time I stripped gears in the steering housing completely my fault. I ordered the parts and fixed it myself. I've had it open a bunch and I'm not really scared of repairing anything now.

Mac Attack

« Reply #31 on: Mar 22, 2022, 09:38 AM »
The one thing I have heard is that the Ulterra requires once a year adjustments, cleaning and lubricating.  Easy maintenance according to the YouTube videos I’ve watched.  And it is said that if you perform this routine maintenance you are far less likely to run into problems.
Makes sense when you compare the added deploy/stow and trim mechanics involved with an Ulterra vs the other models.

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2022, 10:35 AM »
In the market for a 36v 87" unit for the big boat.  I rock a terrova 36v on my 19'er.  It cranks.  Have spot locked in some stiff rover current no issues.

Jethro

« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2022, 10:55 AM »
Yeah, my 36v has been impressive holding my 21'er in severe current and wind, but I've been wondering if one would be effective on our Southport 30 which I think is approx 20k lbs. Maybe more. Should work, right?

lowaccord66

« Reply #34 on: Mar 22, 2022, 04:01 PM »
Yes but with a 30fter extreme conditions sometimes cause it not to hold according to my buddy Jason who runs one on the lil sister.  He said most of the time hes "ok" but moon tides plus a heavy wind get tricky.  Im looking to add it to my 23' proline xp.

Mac Attack

« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2022, 05:45 PM »
Quote from: Jethro link=topic=78665.msg872893#msg872893 date=1647964548
Yeah, my 36v has been impressive holding my 21'er in severe current and wind, but I've been wondering if one would be effective on our Southport 30 which I think is approx 20k lbs. Maybe more. Should work, right?

Install 2 Geoff.
Like twin screws.

;)

Jethro

« Reply #36 on: Mar 23, 2022, 08:26 AM »
Install 2 Geoff.
Like twin screws.

;)

Well, that just took the budget from "improbable" to "impossible" I'd say.

Jethro

« Reply #37 on: Apr 04, 2022, 07:29 AM »
My Ulterra is non-functional at the moment.. not happy, made haddock fishing yesterday a miserable time. Motor does not deploy.

swnoel

« Reply #38 on: Apr 04, 2022, 08:21 AM »
My Ulterra is non-functional at the moment.. not happy, made haddock fishing yesterday a miserable time. Motor does not deploy.

That sucks... hopefully it's something simple!

Mac Attack

« Reply #39 on: Apr 04, 2022, 08:32 AM »

You are an expert mechanic on it now Geoff.
So it should be a relatively simple fix for you.
Keep us posted on what you find out.

Just a thought, and I'm sure you know this - it won't deploy without enough voltage and/or current - batteries???

Jethro

« Reply #40 on: Apr 04, 2022, 11:10 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to start with jumping the batteries direct and bypassing the plug I'm using. The multimeter indicates the motor is getting plenty of volts, but possibly when it asks for the amps it is having trouble. Stay tuned! I will overcome.

Mac Attack

« Reply #41 on: Apr 04, 2022, 11:50 AM »
 :thumbup_smilie:

swnoel

« Reply #42 on: Apr 08, 2022, 07:55 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to start with jumping the batteries direct and bypassing the plug I'm using. The multimeter indicates the motor is getting plenty of volts, but possibly when it asks for the amps it is having trouble. Stay tuned! I will overcome.

What did you find out?

Mac Attack

« Reply #43 on: Apr 08, 2022, 08:02 AM »

What did you find out?

Yea Geoff
Inquiring minds want to know buddy.

Jethro

« Reply #44 on: Apr 08, 2022, 11:18 AM »
Been too busy the past week, I will be looking at it Sunday though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.