FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: August......Had to Scrape Them Up  (Read 1759 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
August......Had to Scrape Them Up
« on: Aug 31, 2021, 04:01 PM »
For the most part, August was a slow go.  There was more rain, but areas north of Rt. 2 and even  just north of Rt. 26 didn't get anywhere near the amounts that fell over southern ME and NH.  Rivers and brooks remained low for much of the month, even near or below record low flows for the dates.

Staining on rocks on medium sized rivers showed that levels were a foot or more below normal, and smaller waters left much of their stream beds dry.

I spent a good part of the month leaving cold water species alone.  Not a bad move, as the warm water fish treated me very well.  White perch dominated, but a fair number of crappie joined in.  The action was pretty much non-stop on wooly buggers or Crazy Charlies, including one 60 fish evening.

That trip nearly didn't end well.  The water was quite high from an unexpected dam release above.

I snapped this pic as I started to wade to the opposite bank.

I used a wading staff, but before long I went down even with that assist.  My wading belt had been tight, but when I lost control of the staff, it twisted the belt.  It puckered just enough to allow many pounds of water to flood my chest waders.  I went totally under in the current, but managed to get into a sort of crab walk to make it into the shallows.  Just below where I recovered, the water drops off to 8 feet or more...... enough said.  I did go ashore, emptied my boots enough to make them serviceable, realized that somehow I hadn't lost anything, and stayed on the water until moonrise to catch more fish.

It wasn't until later that I found out that my dunking had been bad enough to plug my ears with water.  I had to use Debrox to clear them the next day :P

In the absence of limited cold water options, I visited a breakwater and jigged a few mackerel (the numbers are way down from years past) and some small cunner.  Regardless of the slow action, it was nice to be on the salt.

August did have its cold water fish moments.  I took advantage of an isolated flow bump on the Mid-Coast to get into some very solid native brookies.  Even with decent flow, these waters are small, not much wider than a small rod length.

But the bigger pools, undercut banks, and debris piles will give up some beauties.  The last one here topped 12".   8)

I also fished a high ground spot or 2 near the Maine/NH border.   Definitely more water here!

But all day, I felt that the bite fell well short of how good the water looked.  After a few small brookies, the day ended on a high note with some mountain 'bows.

Unfortunately, browns for the most part, remained MIA.....a troubling trend.  :-\  I did get into a few fish that had been stocked in the Spring, managed to hold over, and grew an inch or 2.  It's own sort of fun....low water, spooky fish, and sharpshooter EHC or Para Adams delivery.

And a little optical illusion.  I was super leery of what at a distance looked like a giant snake in the stream bed.

What an active imagination can do with an old tire wrapped around a rock :laugh:

September....a big chunk will be on the salt.  We'll see how that goes and what Ma Nature (Ida, etc.) throws at us for more water on the fresh water side.

TightLinesMaine

Re: August......Had to Scrape Them Up
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2021, 03:21 PM »
Impressive natives! And wow that's scary story, at least you were fishing warm water.  I know of a place or two with dangerous dam releases seasonally but seems unusual in August (must be for hydro power?) No horn sound?

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2021, 06:32 PM »
Thanks, Randall.

Yes, it is dam controlled, but the dam is pretty far from where I was.  No horn to my knowledge.  The flow was up when I arrived and seemed to creep higher.  I pushed it a bit, and my "wheels" aren't what they used to be ::)

Impressive natives! And wow that's scary story, at least you were fishing warm water.  I know of a place or two with dangerous dam releases seasonally but seems unusual in August (must be for hydro power?) No horn sound?

fish wayniac

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2021, 05:39 AM »
Jim, I’m glad you survived the scary swim.  You caught a good variety of fish. Those wild Bow’s are stunning . I hope September brings better flows and better fishing .

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2021, 09:00 AM »
I concur with the sentiments above on the scare, I am happy to hear you made it out Ok, and even more impressed you didn’t lose any gear and kept fishing!

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2021, 10:55 PM »
Gkad your ok Jim and otherwise had some decent fishing.

I fall in several times a year (hate to admit) wading, par for the course if you fly fish several times a week.

Surfcasting you get so use to those events with waves knocking you over.  Even so, never had waders fill to a point where it pulled me under thankfully. 

Would recommend a surfcasting drytop.  I started using one early season after a really bad case of hypothermia after a march "swim".  I use the same neoprene top I use for surfcasting.  Pull over, neck gasket...only issue...tend to float more downstream and can be more difficult to plant my feet.  Stormr makes a decent one.

Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2021, 06:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Jon.  Looks like a good option. Fleece lined, too.

Would recommend a surfcasting drytop.  I started using one early season after a really bad case of hypothermia after a march "swim".  I use the same neoprene top I use for surfcasting.  Pull over, neck gasket...only issue...tend to float more downstream and can be more difficult to plant my feet.  Stormr makes a decent one.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2021, 09:23 AM »
Good report Jim. That’s some scary stuff falling in! That wading belt definitely saved your ass. You’re not 30 anymore lol  :P be careful.

I’m planning on hitting the surf this month. Got just enough bait for maybe 2 trips. We’ll see how it goes.

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2021, 09:57 AM »
Good luck, Nick. I've been reading about a fair number of bluefish in the mix.

Good report Jim. That’s some scary stuff falling in! That wading belt definitely saved your ass. You’re not 30 anymore lol  :P be careful.

I’m planning on hitting the surf this month. Got just enough bait for maybe 2 trips. We’ll see how it goes.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2021, 12:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Jon.  Looks like a good option. Fleece lined, too.

Anytime brother!  Took me a long time to realize I should be using it in the river!  Stay safe and dry (I woulda kept fishing too)

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2021, 07:18 AM »
Great pics and report as usual Jim! Good on you using a wading belt. I can't imagine not using one. I took a dip last November in the main channel of the Kennebec up by Crusher. Lost my footing and went down and to the left into a shallower section, wading belt kept most of the water out. Scary swim. but still better than a eternal swim for d**n sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.