FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chumming for perch  (Read 2215 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Chumming for perch
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2021, 01:04 PM »
Old timers around here would put fish carcasses in an onion bag, sink it thru the ice. They would then shake the insects out and fish over it. Worked for days.

i heard of putting holes in a  cat food can and  putting it in the water to attract bullheads
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishogger

« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2021, 04:49 PM »
if  you have to chum to get perch ,why not just move  till you find them????

you find them then chum to keep them under you man.

fish scraps are free and plentiful if you fish a lot. no need to piss away money on cat food. lol  really dont think it matters what you use to chum.
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

https://xyz.frankspeech.com/

UglyStik

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2021, 06:19 PM »
Get a bag of perch eyes. Chum with them. Report back.

trapper2000

« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2021, 03:33 AM »
so if i clean fish i can throw the remains in for chum ......hmmmmm

fishogger

« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2021, 03:54 AM »
in my state yes its legal to chum fish parts.  the idnr just says "not in excess".  like guys taking 55gal drums on grain or scraps would be a no no.  a 5 gallon bucket would be considered legal chum.  that came from email response years ago.  its not my opinion trap.

trapper2000

« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04:10 AM »
what state you from and the key words are  "in excess" what exactly is  in excess , my point isn't  really about chumming  it's about tossing a  bucket of  fish guts in the river getting caught then saying i'm chumming for catfish......i think and  this is my opinion ....before i "chummed" i would  contact the DEC.....just saying

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04:31 AM »
in my state yes its legal to chum fish parts.  the idnr just says "not in excess".  like guys taking 55gal drums on grain or scraps would be a no no.  a 5 gallon bucket would be considered legal chum.  that came from email response years ago.  its not my opinion trap.

Fish Hogger and I know some people that get carried away with the corn chum for trout on a few of our trout lakes. I've seen tons of it laying n the bottom all moldy. Some people are just idiots.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04:35 AM »
 http://
No person shall take or attempt to take any fish by means of chumming with fish eggs. For the purposes of this section, “chumming” means depositing fish eggs, not attached to a hook, in the waters of the State of New York other than in the Marine and Coastal District.
 Curious  if you can’t clean fish within 100 feet of shore,  so how can you use fish guts to chum with in a River

Badbrad2186

« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2021, 10:56 AM »
so if i clean fish i can throw the remains in for chum ......hmmmmm

Yes even in NYS just have to be 100 feet off shore.

fishogger

« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2021, 04:12 AM »
what state you from and the key words are  "in excess" what exactly is  in excess , my point isn't  really about chumming  it's about tossing a  bucket of  fish guts in the river getting caught then saying i'm chumming for catfish......i think and  this is my opinion ....before i "chummed" i would  contact the DEC.....just saying

our dnr is famous for grey areas. lol i never chum too much.  just enough to keep them interested but not fill them up. ;D

yes taxi i seen guys at clear with big Rubbermaid tubs of corn chumming with gallon buckets at a time.  that started 2 years before the "trout crash".  i was cleaning trout that were completely packed to the vent with corn!!!!!!  i have read trout can starve with a belly full of corn from no nutrients.  thats why my opinion on that is what it is.  i still think it was the chummers that ruined clear.  i probably will always feel that way after what i witnessed out there and time frame.  sure seems funny that there were big trout caught years after the dnr said it coludnt support trout anymore.  they sure survived somehow eh? lol  i think they just took an easy excuse to stop stocking it.  unfortunately it was the very best trout lake this state had by a long shot!

fishogger

« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2021, 04:14 AM »
Yes even in NYS just have to be 100 feet off shore.

100' off shore?  what people dont like swimming with fish lungs and intestines floating around them?  lmao

Badbrad2186

« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2021, 06:57 AM »
100' off shore?  what people dont like swimming with fish lungs and intestines floating around them?  lmao

Not sure why but know that it's the law.

bbfrogger

« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2021, 08:18 AM »
We have a somewhat rocky shoreline in front of our camp with a lot of crayfish .... I usually cut up the skin in smaller pieces and feed them that and a few other scraps ..... the guts I throw in a bucket and take out in the middle of a small shallow bay where there are a lot of snappers. They clean it up fast.  In the winter it goes in my compost pile ..... never thought about chumming with it .....hmmmmmm.  My neighbor even started feeding the crayfish now too - hahaha

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2021, 09:08 AM »
We have a somewhat rocky shoreline in front of our camp with a lot of crayfish .... I usually cut up the skin in smaller pieces and feed them that and a few other scraps ..... the guts I throw in a bucket and take out in the middle of a small shallow bay where there are a lot of snappers. They clean it up fast.  In the winter it goes in my compost pile ..... never thought about chumming with it .....hmmmmmm.  My neighbor even started feeding the crayfish now too - hahaha

Do you ever catch the crayfish for bait? They are outstanding bait especially for smallmouth bass. Don't even have to be in the soft phase. As a taxidermist I have found crayfish in the stomachs of all species except the smaller panfish.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bbfrogger

« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Do you ever catch the crayfish for bait? They are outstanding bait especially for smallmouth bass. Don't even have to be in the soft phase. As a taxidermist I have found crayfish in the stomachs of all species except the smaller panfish.

Good question - actually thats why the rocks are there - decades ago I brought small boat loads of flat rocks and stacked them right along the shoreline so I wouldn't have to go all over the lake to catch crayfish - the crayfish moved in and I'd just step out the door and they are there - hahaha.  I don't really fish for bass any more but I keep the crayfish happy anyway ......  I've had pretty good luck with perch on crayfish tails too, and even caught a few trout on them under bobbers .......  I used to keep the crayfish in a fish box for bait before I had the rocks,  and made the mistake of throwing the bass I caught that night in the same box, to be cleaned the next day .... when I went out to clean the fish the crabs were all gone.  when I cleaned the bass I found them - a couple were still alive - hahaha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.