FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lithium battery better bang for the buck.  (Read 1318 times)

taxid

Lithium battery better bang for the buck.
« on: Oct 26, 2021, 08:15 PM »
This is a battery Marcum sells for an ice fishing fish finder.  I know this isn't an icefishing website but this is great example why a Lithium battery is a bigger bang for your buck regardless of the size of the battery. Check out the weight difference between that and an SLA battery too!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

Re: Lithium battery better bank for the buck.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2021, 08:51 PM »
Yea, that 36VDC, 200ah LiFePo4 unit I bought this past year far exceeded my expectations.
So much so, that I am looking at a 36VDC, 100ah for Donna's golf cart and a 12VDC, 200-400ah for the house batteries on the motorhome.
These batteries are game changers for sure.

fishinjohn

Re: Lithium battery better bang for the buck.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2021, 05:44 AM »
Taxid I ordered myself the new marcum m5L
I can't wait to test the battery out!!!!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2021, 08:07 PM »
I run a dakota lithium on my livescope ice bundle.  With the stock battery it wouldnt last on the ice all day.  Now it does and its much lighter.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2021, 07:42 AM »
Generally, lithium batteries shouldn't be discharged or charged at temps below freezing, and some lithium batteries below 35F.
This is why some are offered with internal heaters in them.
So be careful when using them ice fishing outside a heated hut in really low temps.
You will cause serious damage to the battery.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2021, 11:29 AM »
Noted Mac.  Its had a few jaunts in -5 to 10 but generally its used in the flipover.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Generally, lithium batteries shouldn't be discharged or charged at temps below freezing, and some lithium batteries below 35F.
This is why some are offered with internal heaters in them.
So be careful when using them ice fishing outside a heated hut in really low temps.
You will cause serious damage to the battery.

So the vehicles that use lithium batteries must keep them heated constantly if the vehicle is left outside?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2021, 08:41 PM »
So the vehicles that use lithium batteries must keep them heated constantly if the vehicle is left outside?

Nope.
Please note that I said while charging or discharging.
They can generally sit at freezing temps while idle without problems.

Additionally, please note that I stated some batteries are available with a self heat feature.

I’m no expert on these batteries, but I’ve done a bit of digging to make sure I could use them without issues.

Also realize lithium batteries are higher voltage than a LA battery.  Thus, they required a higher charging voltage.  They typically need 14VDC +/-2VDC.
You can charge them with a standard LA charger but they only reach about 80% SOC.  And this will also cause a reduced life span.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.