FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trail Cams  (Read 1506 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Trail Cams
« on: Oct 29, 2021, 04:27 AM »
I don’t spend any time on the hunting forums so I’m gonna ask here.

Got my new trail camera and it works great. However, the first night out it fogged over completely took some milky white shots of something. Then I found that the micro SDcard wouldn’t read. It came with an IUSB flash drive and reader. I downloaded the app to my iPad and some of the photos would appear but no videos. After viewing a few photos the app would lock up.

Eventually I decided to stick the card in my digital camera and format it. Problem solved. The IUSB app is pretty powerful with tons of options. Not at all intuitive though. After searching around the app I found an operators manual. (No mention of it anywhere in the instructions for the cam.)

After the fogging incident I decided to try it through our kitchen window. Set it up and walked around outside. It recorded everything in daylight. Last night I set it up and let it run. Looked at it this morning and it took a bunch of perfect reflected images of my Bride moving around the kitchen. Double images at that (insulated glass).

So now I’m looking for solutions to the fogging problem. Any suggestions?

The internet is loaded with solutions from Rainex to dish washing soap. I’m thinking of building a small moisture proof  enclosure with a glass door to put it in.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinjohn

Re: Trail Cams
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2021, 04:48 AM »
RG I dont have LOTS of cameras out, but my boys and I usually run 4-5 pre archery season...
I've only had fogging one time and that was because there was moisture inside the camera box... I dried it out and put rained on the lens and problem solved
I'm assuming there isnt any moisture inside yours so I would try rainx before I invested time making a box..you shouldnt need to do that

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2021, 05:08 AM »
Thanks. There’s no moisture in the unit. Think I have some Rainex around somewhere. I’ll give it a try.

Might find a way to Mount it up higher off the ground too. Had it on the porch railing about 3’ up.

If I still have issues, a box wouldn’t take me any time. I have some extra bird houses in storage. Might put it in one anyway. Not sure how rain tight it really is.

Of course, I put it out the night after we had 4” of rain. Then it got really cold. That would account for some problems.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:03 AM »
That is probably your issue...
Also could try some anti fog spray.. I'd let it sit and dry .. then spray down with a scent killer spray
Just a couple thoughts

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:20 PM »
Think I’ll wait till the next couple inches of rain is done over the weekend. (crazy year for rain).

Almost wish it would turn to snow.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2021, 09:54 PM »
I agree that i was a moisture problem . My cameras do the milky thing when we get a hard rain, especially with cold nights. It clears up the next day usually. Be careful mounting it in a box. It could effect the light gathering on the camera.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2021, 04:45 AM »
Oh, it was definitely moisture. On the camera, not inside the camera.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

jperch

« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2021, 06:23 AM »
Bob these trail cameras are notorious for moisture problems.  On the other hand they are a lot of fun and now can be relatively cheap.  I have read that the higher end ones have all the electronic internals carefully coated.  Over the years I would say that various brands, when left in the woods, average 2 or 3 years.  Then they develop problems; not always recording, blurry pictures, not functioning at all, etc.  I also have had ants take up residence inside, squirrel damage and had cameras stolen from our property.  But they are cheap enough fun, hope your box idea works out.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2021, 10:10 AM »
Thanks for the info. This one is only for watching our bird feeders in the back yard. They’re only 10’ away. Not worried about theft at all. Mine was  less than $50. I can make a small box with no investment but time. It worked fine through the kitchen window during the day so I’m guessing it’ll work through a piece of glass on the front of a box. I’ll make it weatherproof.

I’ll keep on tinkering with it and post the results.

jperch

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2021, 10:24 AM »
It's amazing how much and fast technology changes.  My first trail cam used actual film that I had to take to get developed.  And I don't think they were cheap but it was a long time ago.  Now they have "cell cams" that automatically upload pictures to your phone or computer.  Too expensive and too complicated for me.  It makes me feel old!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2021, 11:33 AM »
Well, I AM old. Last thing I need is more stuff sent to my phone or my iPad. I’d rather be surprised.

My Bride said it’s like not knowing 6 months in advance whether it’s a boy or a girl.

She’s a sensible old girl.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2021, 11:40 AM »
Bob start with just an extended roof over the top to keep the dew and fog from settling on the front..  I made a couple just to keep the snow off the lens..  Might help?   
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Made a box for it today. Only took a few enjoyable minutes in the shop. Sealed it up and will get it sealed/ painted tomorrow. Need to make a small alteration to make the cam fit just right.

But I guess that’s just what I do.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Good day for it.....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2021, 04:42 PM »
Yup!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.