FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Vaccine for Tick Borne Illness  (Read 2247 times)

bogtrotter

New Vaccine for Tick Borne Illness
« on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:33 AM »
This was posted on the In Depth Outdoors forum, and I thought it worth sharing:

From a Field & Stream article posted today:

“This might be a real game changer in the fight against Lyme disease”
By Ken Perrotte | Published Nov 23, 2021 12:00 PM

The threat of tick-borne illness has long been a concern for hunters and anglers. Lyme disease is the most common affliction caused by ticks, infecting a reported 40,000 people annually in the United States, though officials believe the actual number of infections could be up to 10 times greater. Other tick-borne diseases are also spreading rapidly.

A new study in the November issue of Science Translational Medicine outlines how researchers at Yale University have developed an anti-tick mRNA cocktail vaccine that promotes tick detachment and prevents transmission of tick-borne infection in guinea pigs. According to YaleNews, the new vaccine protects against Lyme disease and may also work to prevent other tick-borne diseases. The vaccine is delivered using mRNA technology, which is similar to the vaccines developed for COVID-19, in which a messenger RNA teaches bodily cells how to make a protein that triggers an immune response. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mRNA vaccines, like other vaccines, protect people against disease without risking the potentially serious consequences of getting sick. While mRNA vaccines may seem new to the public, researchers have been studying and working with them for decades.

The new anti-tick vaccine doesn’t trigger an immune response against a particular pathogen. Instead, it provokes a quick response in the skin to the components of tick saliva. Tick bites can often go undetected for many hours, and studies have shown that the longer the tick is attached, the greater the risk of transmission of disease. Immediate irritation to a tick’s bite could let people react quickly to remove the tick, lessening the chance of infection. In the study, none of the immunized guinea pigs that had ticks removed when redness appeared contracted Lyme disease. In contrast, about half of the non-vaccinated control group became infected. Infection in immunized animals waned if multiple ticks attached themselves to a guinea pig.

The researchers noted that similar experiments with mice didn’t yield the same results, suggesting that ticks may have evolved to develop ways to specifically feed repeatedly on mice. Another possibility could be that guinea pig skin, like human skin, is more layered than mice skin. Either way, human trials will be required to see how the vaccine works in people. The research was primarily funded by the Cohen Foundation and the National Institutes of Health.
The Vaccine Comes After Decades of Lyme Disease Research

Medical clinicians first recognized Lyme disease in the United States in 1977 when a cluster of cases occurred in Lyme, Connecticut. Since then, efforts have been underway to develop treatments and vaccines for the disease. LYMErix, pioneered by Yale University researchers and manufactured by SmithKline Beecham Biologicals, was the first vaccine on the market. It debuted in 1998.

lowaccord66

Re: New Vaccine for Tick Borne Illness
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:13 AM »
If you are lucky enough to find actual science on MRNA(stuff that isnt cencored) I think youd think long and hard before going that route.  (Note I am not a political person on either side and this comment does not have anything to do with politics)

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2021, 12:31 PM »

(Note I am not a political person on either side and this comment does not have anything to do with politics)

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Awesome!

We need a quick button to be able to add this statement to a post.     :thumbup_smilie:

scooper47

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2021, 07:09 AM »
Thanks for posting this, bogtrotter. I've given up fishing from land due to my fear of Lyme. Well, that and being too lazy to walk. I'll sign up for the shot once science (not the Internet) proves it safe and effective.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Ticks are not really an issue here but if I still lived in New England I'd definitly consider the vaccine.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Bass to mouth

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2021, 09:05 PM »
The new anti-tick vaccine doesn’t trigger an immune response against a particular pathogen. Instead, it provokes a quick response in the skin to the components of tick saliva.
Thats not a vaccine its more like prevention. "Vaccine" is being used very loosely these days.

fishinator

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2021, 07:23 AM »
Properly used permethrin works amazing.  I almost gave up morel hunting due to ticks. With Properly treated clothing I watch them jump off of me.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2021, 08:02 AM »
Properly  used permethrin works  amazing.  I almost gave up morel hunting due to ticks. With Properly treated clothing I watch them jump off of me.

Nah, come in get the “vaccine” and then just let them bite you, they won’t like that taste, and you will be fine….. Why would you want to stop them from actually biting you, it’s half the fun ;)

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2021, 03:17 PM »
I would think the smart thing to do would be to continue to use the permethrin and perhaps get the shot?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Properly used permethrin works amazing.  I almost gave up morel hunting due to ticks. With Properly treated clothing I watch them jump off of me.

This is the way.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:22 AM »
There are things I dont think I ever want to be on the bleeding edge of....vaccinations without 20 year clinical trials are certainly one of them.  However, knowing a few people who have lymes, I wouldnt fault anyone for trying something new to that.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2021, 06:57 AM »

Can I come watch the ticks jump off? Has nothing to do with your Morel spot, at all. Zero.
Wicked Wec

fishinator

« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2021, 07:01 AM »
 ;
Can I come watch the ticks jump off? Has nothing to do with your Morel spot, at all. Zero.
;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2021, 07:19 AM »
This little guy was crawling up my arm yesterday..   Smaller than a pin head..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2021, 07:33 AM »
for cripe sakes just pull the lil critters off.  plenty of them around here(if you are actually out in woods). always has been always will be. last thing i want to think on now is a new vaccine for anything!   ::)

im with ya on that lowacord.  cant be trusted but can any these days?  seems the medicine world has gone to the evil greenbacks side.

Tim,

You ain't seen ticks until you've lived in the northeast. Even just standing on grass I've had half a dozen crawl on me in a matter of seconds. At least I've never seen anything like it here in Indiana. And Lyme's Disease is very common out there. I think the guys on this site that live in the northeast can back me up on that.

The crazy thing is I never experienced a tick when I lived in the northeast 50 years ago. Must have been the DDT they sprayed back then.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.