FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: tungsten jigs in open water ?  (Read 1867 times)

ougot1

tungsten jigs in open water ?
« on: Jan 31, 2022, 01:01 PM »
I have been using tungsten jigs this year ice fishing for brook trout crappie and perch and they seem to work well ,are these also used in open water with a trailer or bait ? it seems like they would sink to fast for casting with spinning rod . any thoughts appreciated !   THANKS

Doubles Shooter

Re: tungsten jigs in open water ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2022, 02:00 PM »
Fish them under a small bobber either fixed or slip depending on the depth. Work great.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2022, 03:11 PM »
100% correct!  Good all year, but really great in cold open water 8)

Fish them under a small bobber either fixed or slip depending on the depth. Work gteat.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2022, 03:15 PM »
I use them in the small trout streams and for panfish all spring and summer.   Small piece of worm works….
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ougot1

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2022, 09:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone , i tied some pearl flashabou on a 6mm tungsten jig and tried it smelt fishing and it worked so i will give it a try in open water , i like adding  flash and feathers to jigs and spoons , just can not leave things alone . 

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2022, 02:40 PM »
Like everyone else has said, they work great for panfish and trout in colder water. Suspended jigging for crappie is another great use: throw a slip bobber on and put one of these guys underneath. I'll use them sometimes on a dropper loop if I want to catch bait and not buy it (big golden shiners for pike/bass, harbor pollack or Cunner for Stripers)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.