FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bullheads  (Read 16788 times)

Mac Attack

Re: bullheads
« Reply #30 on: Apr 04, 2022, 07:24 PM »
I was thinking about trying to hit beaver island for some bullhead and perch. I’ve never really fished it before, but have a ton of crawlers Ready to be used. where’s the best place to find fish and minnows? In the marina or in that gully?
Thanks in advance.
Tight lines

From the parking lot go to the docks and head right.
About 1/3-1/2 way down the dock the water runs underneath.  You will find emeralds there.
Guys sit on the ends of the docks and fish off them casting out into the middle.

walleyefever

« Reply #31 on: Apr 05, 2022, 06:25 AM »
Thank you Mack. Can’t wait to go give it a try

stripernut

« Reply #32 on: Apr 05, 2022, 07:09 AM »
Does anyone still use a Power Line for their hornpout fishing?

fishinator

« Reply #33 on: Apr 05, 2022, 09:36 AM »
I love this thread. I always keep up on it. Here in indiana most people consider them trash fish. Hardly anyone targets them.
  My local lake is being drained for rehabilitation.  Last time they drained it we caught tons of giant bullhead. You guys would love it!

skinny40

« Reply #34 on: Apr 05, 2022, 11:20 AM »
Does anyone still use a Power Line for their hornpout fishing?
Your talking about using a cannon to send out a rubber band? I have never seen anyone in this state do it.

stripernut

« Reply #35 on: Apr 05, 2022, 03:36 PM »
I know an old lady (94) that would whip around a sock filled with sand and get that sucker out there, no problem... I have never heard of anyone using a cannon, but I bet that would work, set it up like a potato gun. For anyone that does not know what we are talking about;

No bell on hers, she would just sit there until the line would "jiggle" set the hook, pull it in, rebait if needed, and let go of the line, back to the fish...

greensider

« Reply #36 on: Apr 05, 2022, 04:57 PM »
Remember trot lines are not legal in NY

skinny40

« Reply #37 on: Apr 05, 2022, 06:21 PM »
Not a trot line. Legal as long as it has 5 hooks or less and you are watching it. And yes the cannon is set up like a potato launcher. Seen both gas and air powered ones that fire off scuba tanks and even seen them launching bottom rigs way out there. Trolly lines they were called in the Detroit area where the target was salmon and trout off the piers. The ocean guys had sinker, leader, and baited hook frozen in an ice missle and we're sending it out 300 yds easy fired out of a 10' potato mortar cannon. They were hooking big fish way out there and had to fight them back in for ever. The trolly lines for trout you don't want out that far since your hand lining but have seen them sent way out there at times with the cannon.

skinny40

« Reply #38 on: Apr 05, 2022, 06:34 PM »
So the pic shows the basic setup. The sinker needs to be good enough to hold but still be light enough that you can bring it back before the rubber band breaks but it happens. The hooks are tied to mainline and sent out. When a fish bites the bell goes off. Hand line it in, unhook, rebait, rubber band will pull the baits back to the same spot they were. It's a pain to set up at times but once set and the bite is on its insanely fast and easy. From a dock or off a pier into a chanel is a good easy setup. The rubber band material was sold on rolls of different weights and lengths at the bait stores. I think about it all the time but haven't done anything like it in a long time.

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #39 on: Apr 05, 2022, 07:24 PM »
Interesting….never heard of this. Would be fun to do!

greensider

« Reply #40 on: Apr 05, 2022, 07:35 PM »
Lol I was referring to the diagram it has more than 5  lolol

62 & Done

« Reply #41 on: Apr 06, 2022, 05:04 PM »
looks like too much work to me. I'll stick to rod & reel.  Hopefully I can round up some crawlers tonite and give them whisker fish a go tomorrow

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #42 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:27 AM »
sat  yesterday relaxing in the sun ...i actually got a sunburn on my arms!...very nice out and  6 bullheads voleenteered to be dinner

yes  old zebcos  i have old johnsons too ......the tailgate  makes a  perfect seat
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

iceman13166

« Reply #43 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:44 AM »
Ahh, thanks for this thread.  I've been in a slump since having covid and just haven't had the motivation to go bullhead fishing.  Everyone turns to me for advice when they are biting and I tell them now but I haven't been out cause my mind is in a dark place right now and trying to pull my head out of it.  Kinda scary at times.  I just need to get out perch fishing or bullhead fishing and hope it helps out.  Thanks guys

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #44 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:48 AM »
Keep your head up iceman! Hope you get through this alright. Get out there and hook a few!
Nice job findin em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.