FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A slow 48 hours  (Read 2641 times)

Uppervalley kid

A slow 48 hours
« on: May 16, 2022, 02:05 PM »
Went out trolling yesterday evening and this morning with nothing to show. I had one fish on yesterday jigging bottom at around 70 fow. Trolling 25-55ft has produced nothing. Anyone having better luck than me? Im in the Sunapee area for the week I should probably take a trip to some other big lakes or switch to warm water species if I get bored or too defeated.

AquaAssassin

Re: A slow 48 hours
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 04:38 PM »
I’m never in that vicinity but....

I’d go shallower on your sets
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

winnicookie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 05:12 PM »
Fish will be high in the water column in the morning chasing bait fish.  Waters still cold so fish are definitely spread out but like aa said higher up should help

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 09:01 AM »
If you are fishing Sunapee, all I can say is don't let that lake get the best of you! I live fairly close and fish it quite often. I don't know what the reason is but it's one of the hardest lakes for me to be productive on with trout and salmon. I was there last Sunday morning and it was very slow for me as well, but agreed with the others, even if it's warm and sunny I'd concentrate your efforts in the top 15 feet of the water column. But it's nicknamed Skunkapee for a reason...

Uppervalley kid

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 03:25 PM »
Didnt end up having luck with lakers or salmon on Sunapee, however, the near by rivers and streams were productive for brookies. I agree, I have had mixed luck with Sunapee, proximity has me going back. What surprised me most was the lack rock bass (prob a good thing). I’ve had many days where I couldn’t keep them off my hook. Should anyone think Im crazy… I eat them and they are delicious fried like crappie or perch.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 10:23 PM »
Didnt end up having luck with lakers or salmon on Sunapee, however, the near by rivers and streams were productive for brookies. I agree, I have had mixed luck with Sunapee, proximity has me going back. What surprised me most was the lack rock bass (prob a good thing). I’ve had many days where I couldn’t keep them off my hook. Should anyone think Im crazy… I eat them and they are delicious fried like crappie or perch.

I live in the midwest and any of the panfish from rock bass to bluegills are king out here. We like to deep fry the fillets in batter. You're not crazy!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Uppervalley kid

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 09:37 AM »
I live in the midwest and any of the panfish from rock bass to bluegills are king out here. We like to deep fry the fillet in batter. You'r not crazy!

How do you target them in larger deeper lakes? I know I can get them on rock piles early season but they all but disappear in my lake by mid May.

Steve H.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 09:49 AM »
Drop-shotting. 

Get too many of them when targeting smallies that way on Winni in the summer.  Stopped doing it because drop-shotting pretty much sucks anyway, and if you're going to catch 10 rock bass to every smallmouth, I ain't interested.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

taxid

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 01:17 PM »
How do you target them in larger deeper lakes? I know I can get them on rock piles early season but they all but disappear in my lake by mid May.

Not sure about the rock bass but the bluegill out here suspend in the thermocline in the summer in the deeper larger lakes. Vertical jigging or slip bobbers with baby crawlers work well too.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Steve H.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 02:10 PM »
Jump to about 4:25 and you'll see how thick they are in Winni.  I think I might have seen one smallie in with dozens of rock bass.

It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

zwiggles

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 04:44 PM »
Some good input above already.

Trolling this time of year can be slow. If the surface temp is around 55 they can be anywhere at basically anytime. This time of year if you can troll live smelts it will be your best bet. If not throw the kitchen sink at em until you find something. Concentrating on the time before to just after sun up, and also again right before and after it sets can save some frustrations, but you can’t catch from the couch or something like that.

Once things warm up and the thermocline starts to set in on the big lakes it gets easier.

zwiggles

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 04:48 PM »
Varying speeds also at this time of year also. I’d like to be around 1.8-2.2 for metal most of the time, but sometimes they want it at 3.5 and other times they want it at 0.5. Also if you turn in all kinds of silly directions the tangles can at least give some entertainment. The action it imparts on the pointy end, when the lines don’t get tangled, can also save a trip.

Uppervalley kid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2022, 08:20 AM »
Thank you all for the info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.